Canadian Cyber Defence Challenge
Teacher IT Prep Handbook
As part of the game-day event, we will be sending transactional (i.e. update, system status, login information, and other informational message) emails to students.
- All emails will be originating from the `cyberdefencechallenge.ca` domain
- Ensure that your IT management has whitelisted this domain so that the emails sent to the student's school email addresses are not blocked.
- This domain has functioning SPF and DKIM configurations which should help improve the confidence that the sent emails are not spam.
Student device application requirements
This year, the only software necessary on the student's devices will be a modern (i.e. one that supports NLA) RDP client to connect to a remote Windows instance. A list of common operating systems and acceptable RDP clients is included below:
Windows 7 (All versions), 8 (All versions), and 10 (Home, Pro, Enterprise, and Education)
- A standard remote desktop client is included in the standard distribution (i.e. `mstsc.exe`)
- In the event that the standard client is not available on Windows 10, there is a remote desktop client available through the Windows Store: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/microsoft-remote-desktop/9wzdncrfj3ps . This client will be necessary if using a Windows 10 S device, however this client is available for all versions of Windows 10.
- For Linux devices, students are recommended to run a modern, well-supported desktop GUI environment, such as that provided by Ubuntu or Kubuntu 16.04 or newer.
- Remmina is the recommended RDP client for Linux devices: https://remmina.org/
This section contains requirements that the game-day environment will make of the local IT infrastructure and networks. This section includes some details that should be passed along to the IT group that is managing the network the students will be connected to when they are engaging in the game-day event.
- Students will be required to access a remote Windows Server endpoint over RDP on the standard port (TCP/3389).
- The remote endpoints will be IP addresses within AWS IP address space assigned to the ca-central-1 region.