MINUTES

Children’s Kiva Montessori School

Elementary/Middle School - Board of Directors Regular Meetings

08.27.18 at 5:30 PM – 109 West Main, Conference Room

BOD Approved on 09.24.18

  1. Work Session

  1. Call to Order - Regular Meeting 7:00
  1. Chad called the meeting to order at 7:21 pm.

  1. Pledge of Allegiance

  1. Roll Call: Chad Fish, President; Kelli Jackson, Vice President; Nate Seeley, Treasurer; Cayce Hamerschlag, Member

Absent from BOD: Tamia Hurst, Secretary; Stacey Weyand, Member

Staff: Susan Likes, HOS; Urulu Yazzie, FD; John Whitehead, Cassy Whitehead

Community Members: Tegan Lewis, Patrick

  1. Vision – Children’s Kiva Montessori School will provide a vibrant and engaging learning environment based on the teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori that supports all students’ academic excellence and ability to become empowered, creative, lifelong learners responsible for themselves, their community, and their environment.

Mission - Children’s Kiva Montessori School uses authentic Montessori Methods, Community-Based educational approaches, and integrated academics (STEAM) to support student academic success, responsibility, and independence.

Montessori Moment – Kelli

Volunteer for next Montessori Moment (TBD at meeting) – Nate

  1. Approval of the Previous Minutes
  1. 07.23.18 Regular Meeting

Kelli moved to approve the minutes as written, seconded, no discussion.  Motion approved unanimously.  Motion carried.

        

  1. Approval of Agenda: Nate moved to approve the agenda as presented.  Motion seconded.  No discussion.  All in favor of the motion.  Motion carried.

  1. Community Member Forum
  1. No comments

  1. Staff Comments
  1. John, Cassie, Stacey: The last week has been a very interesting week.  The one thing I wanted to mention to you to let you know, I am getting burnt out working without the internet, without a copier, without the tools needed to make things work at this time with no building.  It is difficult, it is grueling and I usually don’t feel this burnt out until April or May.  It has been difficult without the materials to support learning and the environment is not conducive to Montessori.

  1. Reports:

  1. BOD President

  1. Budget & Financial Oversight Committee
  1. Report
  2. Action Items
  3. Informal meeting: Susan and Urulu went over the audit, it is not finalized at this point. There are issues in the audit as we suspected. The results of the audit will be presented to the BOD at a future time. Discussed amending the monthly lease price as the real time numbers have changed things as well as the enrollment numbers for the actual year.

  1. Head of School - Susan
  1. Report
  1. Discussion on the letter to be sent home to families.  The tent has to be returned this weekend.  The entire BOD will be reaching out to various locations to support building location issues that are significant.
  1. Action Items
  1. Staffing Review
  1. Low numbers, etc.
  1. Testing Calendar
  1. Need to complete STAR testing.

  1. Finance Director - Urulu
  1. Report, no report

  1. Hiring and Evaluation Committee
  1. Report
  1. Met with both Susan and Urulu.  The report is their goals as they outlined them.  BOD review of this. BOD would like this to be more specific and measurable.
  1. Action Items

  1. Building & Location Committee
  1. Report
  2. Action Items

  1. Master Calendar
  1. September
  1. Letter Home Regarding Normalization
  2. Audit is Complete
  3. MD&A Written and Approved        

  1. October
  1. Re-Evaluate Personal Goals
  2. Re-Evaluate Personal Goals
  3. Annual Appeal Letter
  4. Charter Renewal
  5. Policy Updates
  6. October Count
  7. Star Testing Review
  8. Updated Budget Using October Count
  9. Audit Presentation

  1. External Networking Report(s)
  1. Remove from agenda

  1. BOD Report to Kiva Kids Newsletter
  1. Communication of the building, the status, the location issues.  Have a plan for the school and the new location etc. as this goes on.  We are delayed, we have a plan we are working on – Chad/Stacey. The tent is disappearing etc. For the next 3 to 4 weeks we are looking at off site facilities to house the children until the building is completed.

  1. Shared Board Information
  1. CH had no meeting last month due to lack of quorum. They started school today.

  1. Community Member Forum
  1. Patrick - I just want to thank the teachers for all the hard work that everyone is putting forth. Think hard about a good contingency plan for the school if other things happen.

  1. Items for Future Agenda(s) – BOD President
  1. Next work session
  1. Fundraising
  1. Master Calendar
  1. September, incorporated into the agenda
  2. October
  3. November

  1. Calendaring – BOD President
  1. Upcoming events

  1. Next BOD meeting
  1. September, 24, 2018
  2. Finance Committee Mtg needs to happen soon.

  1. Status of previous meeting’s action items

  1. Review all Action Items
  1. Cayce make document for buildings updates.
  2. Nate send e-mail on Finance Committee Mtg.
  3. All looking for temporary facility.

  1. Adjournment: Kelli moved to adjourn the meeting, unanimously approved.  Motion carried.  Meeting adjourned at 8:58 pm.

Notes taken by Kelli Jackson in Tamia’s absence

Prepared for publishing by Tamia Hurst, BOD Secretary

Page  of