6th Grade Quest
Quest is a required class for all 6th graders It meets every other day for one semester. (During the opposite semester, the students are in music.) During Quest, we focus on “growing up” skills. Throughout the semester, we work on listening and communication skills. We emphasize that these same skills will be important all throughout life.
- What is a teenager?
- How do teens dress, speak, act?
- How are teens alike? Different?
- The 3-Legged Stool of Self-Confidence
- Being skillful, responsible,
- How to make a wise decision
- Why are rules and laws important?
- Mood swings
- Choosing to look at moods from positive rather than negative perspectives
- What to do when we’re angry
- A process for saying “No”
- ASK questions. If it will lead to trouble, SAY no. KNOW
another positive thing to do instead
- A “grown up” way of solving problems
- Talking about the problem rather than stomping, screaming, slamming doors, and rolling eyes
- Celebrating families
- Recognizing positive qualities in each family member
- Thinking about the future
- Positive solutions
- Applying our knowledge to decisions about teen issues such as using tobacco or alcohol products