2020 Mom Motherhood ColorWalk 2019
Team Captain Information
We are thrilled you are interested in forming a walking team for our Motherhood ColorWalk!
Why Participate in the Motherhood ColorWalk?
Raise money and awareness for Maternal Mental Health (MMH) by bringing awareness to our cause in your community. Mothers, families, organizations, healthcare systems & businesses can make a vivid splash with a ColorWalk. Why? There are so many reasons, here are just a few…
- Maternal Mental Health disorders affect up to 1 in 5 women in the United States, yet remains largely underdiagnosed
- Together we must break the stigma associated with Maternal Mental Health disorders
- Postpartum Depression is often confused with the “Baby Blues”, but they are so very different
- Families should no longer be struggling and suffering in silence
Follow These Steps to Form a Walking Team
First fill out your team’s walk information form here:
Create your walk event on Classy:
- Go to https://give.classy.org/ColorwalkSpring2019
- Click on “Become a Fundraiser”
- Select “Create a Team” or “Join a Team”, if you are blending two teams in the same region, for example.
- Create an account.
- Create a team name e.g. “Team Boston”, . Select a fundraising goal amount ($500 auto-populates, but you can adjust). Enter a headline: e.g. “Boston, MA ColorWalk for Moms - May 4th”.
- Create URL specific to your fundraising page (see prompts to add unique ending to URL, like “TeamNeedham”.
- Click “Create Team”.
- Add a photo!
- Enter address, then click “Finish”.
- ***IMPORTANT! Please add your story. Tell why you are interested in supporting 2020 Mom and why maternal mental health is important to you. Adding this personalization really helps to engage potential donors and participants!
- Join our Motherhood ColorWalk in Los Angeles on April 27 at 8:30 a.m. Did you know that up to 1 in 5 women will suffer from a maternal mental health disorder such as postpartum depression & anxiety? Join us as we walk to raise awareness and funds for 2020 Mom, [and “xxx” if you are with a community based non-profit that’s primary focus is addressing maternal mental health fill in the organization’s name here], who are supporting moms and families by advocating for Maternal Mental Health. Note: If you are creating a team for a non-profit organization that’s primary focus is addressing MMH, your organization will receive 80% of the funds your team raises back!
- As noted above, include why this cause is important to you
- Use this page to share updates, communicate with your team, thank a donor, offer encouragement, and inspire each other!
- We advise skipping the social shares until you’ve had a chance to enter the main event information (such as date and time of your local walk) on your team page. Once you’ve done this….
- Share, share, share! via email with friends/family/colleagues, and social media platforms. Individuals can donate, join your team, and/or create their own fundraiser.
- Don’t be afraid to send out asks and links 2-3 times before your walk – sometimes people get busy and/or forget even if they plan to join you!
- Ask your friends/family to share on their social and encourage them to ask others to sign up to join the team or donate to them, it’s always fun to get to know new people when you have a mutual friend!
- As members join your team, let them know they can share their own reasons for walking / supporting this team / organization when they use their own page to raise funds. On their main page, they will see the ways to share their campaign with their networks (email, facebook, twitter).
Materials for Your Walk
Awareness Cards: Motherhood ColorWalks are about being together, raising awareness in local communities and having friends and family "donate for distribution" of a specified number of awareness cards, as determined by your team. Packages of Awareness cards will be provided to the team lead by 2020 Mom. *Notify us at brooke@2020Mom.org at least 1 week before your walk of approximate # of walk participants and what mailing address to have cards sent to.
Posters: Team leads who are walking at malls will also be sent 20 8 ½ x 11 sized posters to distribute to shop owners who cater to families so they can post them during the month of May.
We encourage you and a few team members to experiment with making your team’s color dust yourself. Here is a recipe.
You can also purchase color dust on Amazon (consider using Amazon Smile and select 2020 Mom so 2020 Mom will get a percentage of sales).
2020 Mom will reimburse up to $20 for a group/team of 10-15 people and $40 for groups of 16 or more. You will need to submit copies of your receipt(s) using a reimbursement form.
On race day you and your team members will simply wear a white top and your favorite comfy walking pants and shoes - Let the color dust do all the work! You can choose to make it yourself or order premade.
Day of the Walk
After using the color dust, attach the race bibs to the team’s t-shirts with safety pins on the four corners.
Don’t forget to bring safety pins to secure your teams bibs to their shirts.
Race bibs: this is not an actual race, but these bibs will allow your team to look official and unified as teams.
Those teams that secure local donors* (must receive the donor’s commitment in writing and their permission to use their logo), can add the sponsor’s logo before printing. If you would like, the numbers can be changed (2001, 2002, 2003, etc.). Download the Word document template, print in color on standard 8.5” x 11” paper for your team members.
*See the walk main page for local donor levels, which start at $1000.
White T-shirts: Ask each of your team members to bring their own white t-shirt. Ideally the shirt would be plain white with no logos, but don’t sweat it if your team members want to use a shirt they already have with another logo -the color dust will likely cover that up anyway.
One week Prior to Your Walk:
- Determine the time and place you will meet on the day of the walk and share this with your team. Be sure to share your cell phone number in case they need to get in touch. Don’t forget to use your Classy page “Updates” comment section to communicate details/changes/etc with your team!
- Remind your team members the date, time and location of your walk and how to prepare:
- Wear a white t-shirts.
- Bring or apply sunscreen before the walk, bring water and snacks on walk day if they desire.
- Be sure you have enough color dust for your participants.
Day of the Walk:
- Meet at your predetermined location
- Dust the team with color!
- Attach your race bibs
- Take a team picture (maybe even a before & after the color dusting)!
- Post about your walk on social media and using the #MotherhoodColorWalk2019, and tag @2020Mom on Facebook
- Give each person palm cards to distribute
- Enjoy the great company and have a great time!
- Thank your participants and all donors
- If you haven’t already, share your pictures on social media and tag @2020Mom (Facebook)
Look for a post-event survey that will help us make this even better next year!
Find your state below, and direct all questions about forming a team and team activities to Brooke Reilly, who is facilitating the ColorWalks. Brooke@2020mom.org
For technical questions on Classy, call (619) 961-1892 and select option 2
Community Focused Non-Profit Organizations
To qualify for 80% of the walk proceeds your organization must be a registered 501(c)(3) corporation with the IRS and your organizations work must primarily be focused on maternal mental health.
You are required to provide your non-profit’s EIN when completing the walk team form noted at the top of this page. You are not required to become an affiliate of 2020 Mom as this program has not yet rolled out.
Once your walk is complete your non-profit organization will receive a check by 60 days post-walk.