HAMILTON-WENHAM REGIONAL SCHOOL DISTRICT
ADVERTISING IN SCHOOLS
The School Committee recognizes that public schools provide a potential market for business advertising and funds generated from such advertising could be beneficial to the schools.
On the other hand, the School Committee is cognizant of the fact that advertising within our schools would have to be sensibly and thoughtfully regulated so as not be disruptive or run contrary to the law and established District Policies.
Therefore, advertising is permitted on school property subject to the following conditions:
1. Revenue generated from advertising shall be utilized for the sole benefit of the School District and be deposited into the General Fund and recorded in the General Ledger.
2. Advertising shall not be permitted inside classrooms, in areas near a classroom where students in class may view the advertisement, or in any area which may be disruptive to student learning.
3. Any advertising of products companies, causes and/or organizations allowed by this policy shall be respectful of all people without regard to their disability, race, color, gender, national origin, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, religion, marital status, socioeconomic status, cultural background, familial status, physical characteristics or linguistic characteristics.
4. There shall be no advertising of products, companies, causes and/or organizations which, by virtue of the advertisement, endorse tobacco, alcohol, illegal drugs or weapons; contain vulgar and plainly offensive, obscene, or sexually explicit language and/or depictions; advocate the violation of the law or any District Policy; advance any religious or political organization; promote, favor, or oppose a candidate for elected office or a ballot measure; be associated with any company or individual whose actions are inconsistent with the District's mission and goals or community values; or otherwise be in violation of law.
5. Advertisements shall not be disruptive or jeopardize the safety of students, staff and/or the public by their content or physical properties.
6. At no time shall school property be damaged by advertisements or by the direct consequences of such advertisements nor shall the School District incur any cost in connection with any such advertisement.
7. Advertisements may be displayed for specific events (i.e., a basketball game or choral event) or over the course of a longer period of time but in no case beyond the duration of the current academic year. Any advertisement which is to be displayed for a longer duration than the current academic year must be approved by the School Committee prior to display.
8. All advertisements for the District are subject to the recommendation of the building principal and approval of the Superintendent. The Superintendent and District School Business Administrator will set the rates for advertisements subject to the approval of the School Committee. These rates may be, without limitation, dependent upon the size, number of companies/products being advertised and/or duration of the advertisement(s).
II. Policy Review and Revision
Review and revision of these policies and procedures shall occur as needed, but at least every two years.
III. Legal References
Adopted: February 10, 2005
Reviewed: May 3, 2012