Newsletter of the end of the year 2017
Thank you so much for your investment in Haiti through Grace Community Birth Center! Asking for monetary support is “doing the most challenging thing’, not because I do not believe in what God is doing, but because I can empathize with the difficulty in deciding where to invest.
You have chosen us, thank you!
We think it always helps to understand exactly what the investment looks like. Here is some of what Grace Community Birth Center has been doing from Fall 2016 to December 2017:
- Community engagement
- The community requested sexual education classes to help with the issue of teenage pregnancy.
- We hosted 120 people, age 13-70, for the first community sexual education class
- We made 1-2 trips per month from the Southeast (Jacmel) to the Northeast (Grand Bassin) to meet with the community, to teach and to work on the property
- Property Development
- We installed a well.
- We installed fencing around the property.
- We started raising bees and have expanded to 13 hives. We have planned to extract honey in December to start a small business but it isn’t quite ready. Stayed tuned!
- We built the “Educational Center” funded by the Presbyterian Church of Traverse City, Michigan. It took 3 full weeks to build with lots of challenges. We are proud of our success and and ended the year with a Community party to inaugurate the GCBC ‘training center’.
- We taught 10 classes on sexual education for 80 girls, age 13-21, plus one parents’ meeting over a period of 6 months. The conclusion was a beach day and a party.
- We trained 20 traditional Birth Assistants on Neonatal Resuscitation- 8 of them are now certified.
- We taught business skills to 37 women who are part of a women’s group
- Health Care
- We saw 20 women for prenatal and postpartum care
- We were awarded $3000 grant from the Traverse city Rotary Club for Educational equipment.
- We initiated fiduciary relationship with Bay eye Charitable Foundation to enable tax deductible gifts to GCBC
- We had a wonderful time and fundraising success in the States on our yearly visit in the Fall 2017 in Traverse City, Michigan. We received more than $20,000 from individuals and families to dig a well, purchase a vehicle and support operational activities.
And the truck is here!!!!!!!
- We were awarded a grant from the Presbyterian Church of Traverse City to build an educational Center.
- We were awarded a small grant from the Grand Rapids based Organization ‘SOWHOPE’ to purchase birth supplies.
- Goals and Needs
- We want to continue to develop community relationship through teaching in Haiti.
- We are seeking funding for the birth center.
- We will investigate the use of solar power to provide electricity for the education and birth centers
- We want to develop means for GCBC to be self- sustaining.
How you can Help
- Become a monthly donor to support GCBC’s education classes.
- Provide connections to other organizations that could support GCBC.
- Provide ideas on furthering the financial sustainability of GCBC.
- Spread the word about GCBC, encourage people to check us out at ‘gracebirthcenter.org”.
- Keep in touch on Facebook and via email (sign up at ‘gracebirthcenter.org”).
- Volunteer? Get in touch with us.
We love you and are grateful for you!
Ninotte Lubin- CPM