Published using Google Docs
ADC-IARPC Semantics WG 2021-06-15

ADC-IARPC Vocabularies and Semantics Working Group


               

Meeting Agenda & Minutes

When

2021-06-15 20:00 UTC (01:00 PM MST and 21:00 CET)

Where

Join Zoom Meeting

https://met-no.zoom.us/j/65164056393 

Meeting ID: 651 6405 6393

Find your local number: https://eu01web.zoom.us/u/cVQTDQY6y 

Minutes

  1. Participants
  1. Peter, Rebekah, Chantelle, Shannon, Bill, Allison, Øystein
  1. Adoption of the agenda
  1. Adopted
  1. Review of the minutes of the previous meeting
  1. 2021-05-18
  1. Approved
  1.  Review of open action items
  1. Action: Pier Luigi will put the open letter on Zenodo once signed.
  1. Pending on finalisation of the letter.
  1. Action: Øystein to create a spreadsheet to track submissions of the open letter in.
  1. Done.
  1. Action: SiriJodha is missing from signatories, Øystein to poke him.
  1. New action in this meeting.
  1. Action: Øystein will close the open letter for new signatures 2021-06-30.
  1. New action in this meeting.
  1. Action: Chantelle and Bill will give an update on the merged documents with semantic resources in the next meeting.
  1. New action in this meeting.
  1. Action: Peter to demonstrate the online site containing the matrix of metadata harvesting relationships in the next meeting.
  1. New action in this meeting.
  1. Finalisation of the open letter with signatures.
  1. Action: SiriJodha is missing from signatories, Øystein to poke him.
  2. Concerning the project affiliation it was decided that ORCIDs are not sufficient to capture all linkages so this information will come in addition to ORCIDs.
  3. It was also agreed to let people add personal landing pages if wanted, but only one.
  4. Action: Øystein will close the open letter for new signatures 2021-06-30.
  1. Following the discussion on AI during the last meeting, Pier Luigi suggested that this group should engage in https://en.unesco.org/artificial-intelligence.
  1. See e.g. https://en.unesco.org/artificial-intelligence/ethics for ethics aspects.
  2. AI is questioned in some contexts but is also something we need to relate to.  Pier Luigi mentioned that the ethical perspectives have to be strengthened and representativeness sought. This group is open to participation. Pier Luigi mentioned that the Arctic community could give valuable input to this activity as most communities are concerned with machine learning and not knowledge representation. This group could bring the indigenous perspective into the discussion. SiriJodha indicated some interest in the previous meeting.
  3. Discussion continued from the last meeting...
  4. This was not covered in the meeting, keeping it for the next meeting.
  1. Discussion on variableMeasured and what to use instead in the ESIP Science on Schema Guidelines - Rebekah
  1. https://github.com/ESIPFed/science-on-schema.org/
  2. This was covered in the last hackathon
  1. https://github.com/ESIPFed/science-on-schema.org/blob/issue27-measuredVariable/guides/Issue27-UpdatesForDatasetVariables.md
  1. Discussion on status of variableMeasured. Would be good to have the people more directly involved in SOSO to update on this. Not yet clear whether an alternative to variableMeasured will be available for datasets that are not measured.
  2. Discussion on recommendations for vocabularies to use for specific purposes (e.g. to describe variables, URLs, quality, platforms, ...). Agreed to start a list and reference to RDA etc. Chantelle has a list to start with. This will be an overview of resources for now.
  3. Peter suggested that some sort of metric e.g. on how many are using a specific ontology/vocabulary should be added.
  4. Bill has his own spreadsheet that could be integrated as well.
  1. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17pYmB7pXxkCEpirckZxVcatEAYiTFXobZYVWIi7mCDA/edit?usp=sharing 
  1. Chantelle will merge her document with Ruth and Bill's documents. This topic will be in subsequent agendas.
  1. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iccH9s0zOiY0I8nNENHYiX_PMfQvHyRcCYJ-0iobKOQ/edit#gid=2003460971
  2. Action: Chantelle and Bill will give an update on the merged documents with semantic resources in the next meeting.
  1. Polar Semantics Planning Matrix update from Peter
  1. The matrix is available at Matrix of metadata harvesting relationships
  2. The matrix has been imported into an online site (atlas) that displays the existing data for nodes (organizations) in the matrix as a table. A form view is being created along with a map showing geographic location of the organizations. A visualization similar to existing ecosystem mapping visualization will be added.  The current prototype will be demonstrated to Pip Bricher (SOOS) this week to confirm requirements and features before the next phase of development.  Once the form is completed, it will be used to update and expand the survey that was used to create the original matrix.  Additional work on papers will follow completion of the next iteration of the survey.  We should be in a position to demonstrate the system at the next Semantic WG meeting.
  3. Action: Peter to demonstrate the online site containing the matrix of metadata harvesting relationships in the next meeting.
  1. Awareness updates (roundtable)
  1. No time.
  1. On hold, to be addressed if time
  1. Polar Semantics Planning Matrix updates - Peter and Ruth
  1. The matrix is available at Matrix of metadata harvesting relationships 
  2. The matrix and other materials from this family of meetings are being documented in two papers:
  1. PDPS White Paper Draft - Harvesting Portion (Peter)
  2. Matrix with additional fields as discussed during a WG meeting in 2020 for consideration on the new triple store to support this activity.
  1. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1m_xBrpW6EqqZ4oRzc5kZkpt4c8h6qqGmJIVcd9BJCpc/edit#gid=1643486333
  2. Update on status
  1. PDPS White Paper Draft - Recommendations Portion (Rut)
  1. Update on status
  1. Discussion of the concepts data, information and knowledge and whether existing definitions we are working with applies in a broad sense, including local and traditional/indigenous knowledge. - Rebekah
  1. Discussion of issues raised in the 2020-12-15 meeting.
  2. Concepts being discussed now are:
  1. Data
  1. A set of values, symbols, or signs (recorded on any type of medium) that represent one or more properties of an entity. For example, the numbers generated by a sensor, values derived from a model or analysis, text entered into a survey, or the raw text of a document
  1. Information
  1. Products derived from data that lead to a greater understanding of an entity. For example, (i) the interpretation of a range of data from an array of conductivity sensors across the Arctic Ocean that informs us about that ocean’s salinity range or (ii) the narrative text of a report on harmful algal blooms that informs the reader on the timing of these blooms.
  1. Knowledge
  1. An abstract representation (i.e. a mental model) of an entity which: (i) is constructed from a substantial collection of information, (ii) grants its bearer reliable familiarity with that entity, and (iii) can be used to reason and take action about that entity. For example, an expert with knowledge about the salinity range of the Arctic Ocean (constructed from large amounts of information on the topic) would be able to reason that a salinity value of 43% is a likely error, rather than a real measurement.
  1. It was in the previous meeting we agreed that a living process that can be adapted as we continue engagement is required. How do we address this?
  2. It was in the previous meeting suggested that a joint statement towards e.g. Arctic Council outlining activities, goals, objectives, requests etc. is developed together with other relevant groups. How do we address this?
  1. Following discussions on the 2020-08-18 meeting, discuss definitions of data and datasets that could be used in the Arctic Community - Rebekah/Pier Luigi
  1. Background material
  1. The UN Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development Implementation Plan v2.0. (See glossary for definitions of data, information, knowledge, and digital knowledge ; note we had to tone down the technical aspects as this document goes to the GA) : https://www.oceandecade.org/assets/uploads/documents/Ocean-Decade-Implementation-Plan-Version-2-0-min_1596634145.pdf 
  2. IWG-SODIS https://iode.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=598:inter-sessional-working-group-to-propose-a-strategy-on-ocean-data-and-information-stewardship-for-the-un-ocean-decade-iwg-sodis&catid=65&Itemid=89 
  3. A dedicated channel in the Slack space has been set up to capture discussions between meetings.
  1. A paper/report on the Polar Vocabularies Questionnaire - Pier Luigi
  1. Pier Luigi is exploring this with support from Ruth, Mark and Øystein.
  1. Link to responses: Polar Vocabularies (Responses)
  2. See previous minutes for details.
  3. Update on status
  1. Regular interoperability workshops debriefs and plans - Rebekah/Øystein
  1. Lessons learned in the September 2nd workshop that should be further discussed
  1. https://github.com/POLDER-Crew 
  2. Polar practices recommendations for implementing schema.org is the short term goal
  1. Next meeting
  1. Agreed to do the third Tuesday of the month, at 20:00 UTC (21:00 CET, 15:00 EST, 13:00 MST).
  1. Next meeting will be Tuesday 17th August.
  2. Øystein will create a calendar invite.
  1. Since not everyone is using Slack, emails should be circulated for each meeting.