Tairangi School Procedure Statement
DISCLOSURE OF SEXUAL NAG 3 Personnel
OR PHYSICAL ABUSE NAG 5 Health & Safety
The following procedures are to be followed by the school:
- If a child discloses they have been sexually, physically or verbally abused, listen and support them. It is important that you say you believe them and that it is not their fault.]
- Do not question the child but immediately following the disclosure record what the child said as accurately as possible.
- Immediately inform the Principal of the disclosure. The Principal will inform either the Police, the Child Protection Team, the Public Health Nurse or Visiting Teacher. Once an agency had been involved that agency will investigate and the school will act on the advice from that agency.
- In the case of a report to the school by a third party, the first course of action is that the school will direct the third party to a helping agency without becoming involved. The school may become involved later. The identity of any informant will be kept confidential.
- Where a teacher is concerned about possible abuse or neglect of a child they may discuss it with a senior staff member. If further investigation is felt necessary, the Principal will be informed. The Principal may then contact an agency to seek advice on appropriate actions.
- In the case of allegations of abuse made against a staff member, the Principal will inform the Chairperson of the Board of Trustees. Both will then inform the staff member who will be advised to seek legal and/or union representation. The school will inform the union if the employee is a member. The staff member will be suspended on full pay once an investigation has begun. At this stage the rest of the staff will be informed.
- Verbal and physical abuse of teachers by students is classed as severe behaviour. It will be dealt with as severe behaviours of extreme concern. The school Severe Behaviour and Suspension Procedures will give guidance in these instances.
File:sexabuse35.doc Procedure Statement – Sexual & Physical Abuse