Bright Minds Foundation, The Howard County Public School System Education Foundation
Ellicott City, Maryland
The Bright Minds Foundation (“Bright Minds”) seeks an experienced, entrepreneurial Executive Director to build on the past successes of Bright Minds and lead Bright Minds into a future of evolution, growth, and development.
Bright Minds is the educational foundation of the Howard County Public School System. Bright Minds’ mission is to support the education, aspirations and the opportunity to succeed for all students of the Howard County Public School System, birth to career. Bright Minds provides students with equity, equality and access to educational offerings, innovation and lifelong skills through programs and services created to support learning where the schools cannot due to funding or other obstacles.
The Executive Director will build on the organizational assessment of Bright Minds to develop and implement a strategic plan and direction and work hands on with a part time program coordinator and the board of directors to align strategies, programs and fundraising activities aimed at supporting students and their success within the HCPSS while also aligning with the HCPSS administration’s agenda.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Assure that the organization has a long-term strategy which achieves its mission, goals, values and objectives and toward which it makes consistent and timely progress.
- Provide leadership in developing program, strategic, fundraising and financial plans with the Board of Directors and staff, and carry out plans and policies authorized by the board.
- Serve as liaison to the HCPSS regarding the school system’s emerging needs and priorities, which may require targeted private fundraising efforts.
- Collaborate with Executive Committee to recruit, manage, and develop board members and promote active board participation by volunteers.
- Work with the board of directors to identify issues and needs for the board’s consideration.
- Build, cultivate, and manage diverse relationships with HCPSS, corporate community giving offices, charitable foundations, and community organizations.
- Work with the board of directors to develop a fundraising strategy and lead its implementation. Ensure that adequate funds are available to permit the organization to carry out its work
- Identify funding opportunities, cultivate relationships with donors, and play a key role in identifying and writing grant opportunities.
- Develop and lead a marketing plan that increases the visibility of Bright Minds, its objectives and impacts.
- Maintain official records and documents, and ensure compliance with federal, state, and local regulations.
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field.
- Manage publicity of activities of the organization, its programs, fundraising events, and goals and coordinate marketing efforts to include written materials, web site, social media, and press releases to ensure accuracy and consistency.
- Manage all fiscal oversight and on-going financial management including creation of annual operating and programmatic budget, monitoring revenue and expenditures, and financial reporting.
- Manage administrative and human resource-related functions required to maintain day-to-day operations.
- Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s Degree preferred) in a field related to nonprofit organizational management, business management, or education.
- At least five (5) years senior nonprofit management experience. Leadership experience in other areas will be considered.
- Experience in organizational management.
- Experience in budgeting and fiscal management.
- Experience in fundraising.
- Experience in marketing is preferred.
- Ability to provide leadership, vision and inspiration.
- Ability to analyze issues and resolve problems.
- Ability to work collectively with others.
- Ability to work with accountant and auditor to ensure fiduciary responsibilities.
- Capacity and experience identifying goals and mapping out the appropriate steps to achieve success.
- Highly organized and comfortable balancing lots of concurrent tasks and to-dos; ability to identify priorities for mission accomplishments.
- Strong fundraising knowledge and proof of fundraising success.
- Excellent written and oral communication, and public speaking experience.
- Knowledge of current challenges and opportunities in Howard County and the larger community as related to the mission of the foundation
- Working knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office applications and the ability to learn and use effectively Constant Contact and QuickBooks.
Job Type: Full-time or Part-time, TBD
Timeline: This position is posted until filled, with an initial screening date of April 6, 2018. Applicants are encouraged to submit their materials in a timely fashion.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
How to Apply: Interested applicants should submit a resume, a list of three professional references, and a cover letter. Please include applicant’s last name in the subject line and send by email to Chair of the Board of Directors at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There will be a pre-screening of the applicant credentials before inviting candidates in for an interview. Interviews will be limited to those applicants who, in addition to meeting the basic requirements, have experiences and education, which most closely match the position qualifications and the needs of the organization.