HAMILTON-WENHAM REGIONAL SCHOOL DISTRICT
The transportation policy of this District is aimed at providing a safe and efficient way of transporting all of our students to and from school. Given the rural nature of the towns of Hamilton and Wenham, and that several direct routes to the district’s school lack sidewalks, the Hamilton-Wenham Regional School District will provide transportation services in compliance to both statutory requirements and the Hamilton-Wenham Regional School District Agreement.
1. The Hamilton-Wenham Regional School District will provide transportation services to students if the distance from their residence and the school or the nearest bus stop exceeds the following guidelines:
Grade Level Distance to School or Bus Stop
K - 2 1/2 mile
3 - 5 3/4 mile
6 - 8 1 mile
9 - 12 1.25 mile
2. Transportation will be provided at the expense of the Hamilton-Wenham Regional School District.
3. During those times that kindergarten students are dismissed separately from other elementary students, the District will make every attempt to provide transportation to an area as close as possible to that student’s destination.
4. Whenever any student must walk one-quarter of a mile or more on a direct route to school that does not have sidewalks, the District may furnish transportation if the situation is considered hazardous. Students who are unable to walk to school for physical or other reasons may be provided with transportation upon a physician’s recommendation or such a recommendation which is included as part of a student’s, Individual Educational or 504 Plan.
5. If a student wishes to be transported a different destination, requiring a change of bus route, he/she must receive prior permission from his/her school office as the District needs to determine the availability of space on a particular bus.
6. The safety of all student bus rides is of prime importance. Students are charged with the responsibility of conduct which will result in safe transportation, respect for school personnel and respect for other students. Rules for student behavior on buses will be published and enforced.
Procedures and Financial Implications
1. This policy will be distributed to all the parents or guardians of all children upon their entering the district.
2. There are financial implications associated with this policy. The cost of transporting students is tied to the contractual agreements negotiated with the transportation company(ies) used by the District.
Sources and Review
This policy replaces the “Transportation Policy” adopted by the School Committee on June 17, 1982. Text for the current policy was drawn from M.G. L. c. 71 & 16C, which addresses transportation by regional school districts, the Hamilton-Wenham Regional School District Agreement Document, and review of current practices within the District.
This policy should be reevaluated by the School Committee’s Policy Subcommittee very three years.
Adopted: June 17, 1982
Reviewed: February 18, 1999