Code of Conduct
Parent & Player Contract
We, the Southampton Little League, have implemented the following Code of Conduct for the important message it holds about the proper role of parents and/or guardians in supporting their child in sports. Parents and/or guardians as well as players should read, understand and sign this form prior to children participating in our league.
The essential elements of character building and ethics in sports are embodied in the concept of sportsmanship and six core principles:
- Good Citizenship
The highest potential of sports is achieved when competition reflects these six pillars of character.
I, therefore agree:
- I will not force my child to participate in sports.
- I will remember that children participate to have fun and the game is for the youth, not the adults.
- I will inform the coach(es) of any physical disability or ailment that may affect the safety of my child or the safety of others.
- I will learn the rules of the game and the policies of the league.
- I (and my guests) will be a positive role model for my child and encourage sportsmanship by showing respect and courtesy, and by demonstrating positive support for all players, coaches, officials, spectators at every game, practice or other sporting event.
- I (and my guests) will not engage in any kind of unsportsmanlike conduct with any official, coach, player, or parent such as booing and taunting; refusing to shake hands; using profane language or gestures, or getting involved in physical altercations.
- I will teach my child to play by the rules and to resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility or violence. Threats by players to another player or anyone else will not be tolerated.
- I will demand that my child treat other players, coaches, officials, and spectators with respect regardless of race, creed, color, sex, or ability.
- I will teach my child that doing one’s best is more important than winning, so that my child will never feel defeated by the outcome of a game or his/her performance.
- I will praise my child for competing fairly and trying hard.
- I will never ridicule or yell at my child or other participants for making a mistake or
losing a competition.
- I will emphasize skill development and practices and how they benefit my child over winning. I will also deemphasize games and competition in the lower age groups.
- I will promote the emotional and physical well being of the athletes ahead of any personal desire I may have for my child to win.
- I will respect the officials/umpires and their authority during games and will never question, discuss, or confront coaches at the game field, and will take time to speak with coaches at an agreed upon time and place.
- I will demand a sports environment for my child that is free from drugs, tobacco, and alcohol and I will try to refrain from their use at all sports events.
- I will refrain from coaching my child or other players during games and practices, unless I am asked to do so by one of the coaches of the team.
- Players are expected to be at all practices and games on time and parents will contact the coach beforehand if the player cannot attend.
- Players must come to all games and practices fully equipped and prepared to play (some equipment will be provided).
- Success of the team is dependent on parent support. We may need you to volunteer to help maintain our fields and participate in team activities from time to time.
- My child’s participation in the Southampton Little League is a privilege and not a right.
Any parent guilty of improper conduct at any game or practice will be asked to leave the sports facility. Upon board review, the parent may be suspended from the following game. Repeat violations may cause a multiple game suspension, or the season forfeiture of the privilege of attending all games. Parents and/or guardians are responsible for supervising their child while they are at any Little League Fields. This shall include siblings and other children who may be attending games or practices.
By signing your name you declare that you understand what is expected of you and agree to further the goals of the Southampton Little League.
Parent/Guardian Name (PRINT): _ Parent/Guardian Signature: _
Player Name (PRINT): _
Player Signature: _
Board Member Signature: ________________ _