School Council Minutes
December 7, 2017
In attendance: Owen Bartlett, Lauren Tschaja, Christine Rideout, Sheri Hopkins, Hugo McCarthy, Roger Butler, Carla Roberts, and Verna Hancock
1. Welcome to new Council member, Christine Rideout, and acceptance of minutes from previous meeting.
(a) School Update from Principal:
-Everything on track, moving towards goals for school development; attendance is a big concern right now.
- Lots of activity with school sports teams.
- Share the Spirit has started and collections are going well; Social Justice Committee is doing a lot of work to promote this as a philanthropic initiative.
- The School Christmas Concert will take place on December 21 and the band is preparing well for this event.
- LRNL had their Duke of Edinburgh awards. The Pervasive Needs students will be receiving their awards at an afternoon function on December 12. Carla will attend as will Cathy Woolridge, Pervasive Needs teacher. Carla and Christine Blundon are meeting tomorrow regarding a possible Duke of Edinburgh award group at PWC.
(b) Fund development committee:
- Two meetings have been held by members of the committee thus far. The group is still recruiting people who may be interested in directing fundraising for the many needs here at the school. Ideally, the committee is striving to raise money for projects that will connect directly to academics here at the school, ie, technology into the classroom and books into the library.
- Lauren gave a student perspective in terms of needs that we may be able to action. She felt that there was a lack of pride in the building, school “falling apart”, poor morale that is linked to this lack of pride in the facilities here at PWC. She feels that a survey could be done by the Student Council to gauge student opinion on school needs and how to boost morale. Last year, pep rallies and student recognition assemblies were morale boosters for the students.
(c) Prom/safe Grad update:
- Sub-committees and planning are going well.
- 50/50 draw will be held on December 15.
(a) Principal’s List and Honor Roll:
- PWC had both of these in the past but it hasn’t been in effect for several years now. Discussion centered around how we could implement both again. The school council agrees that celebrating the academic success and other accomplishments of our students is a goal worth pursuing and directly relates to our long-term goal of improving academic achievement here at PWC.
(b) Community Career Expo for Grade 12’s:
- Hugo has consulted with career development specialists and brainstormed how to work with the Career teachers and Guidance staff here at PWC to bring a career day to our grade 12’s. A meeting and date to be determined with Hugo, and Guidance staff will be provided after the Christmas break.
(c) A parent rep position has become available on School Council due to a member’s request to step back from Council. However, we still have good representation as we have 5 parent reps currently on council.
Meeting adjourned at 5:40 pm. Next scheduled meeting is January 11, 2018 at 4:30pm.