The purpose of the syllabus template is to make the document readable to all students and to comply with section 508 laws https://www.section508.va.gov/. Formats used in this document allow visually-impaired students to scan and read the document with a screen reader.
Using the Syllabus Template
- Leave the syllabus headings as-is.
- Delete the text between these symbols <>, and delete the <> symbols, too.
- Replace the text you just deleted with your class information by pasting or typing text into the syllabus.
Pasting Text into the Syllabus
To paste text into the syllabus template:
- Click the dropdown arrow under Paste.
- Select the Keep Text Only icon. Do not simply click the Paste button.
- Fonts cannot be changed in the manual formatting bar at the top of Word.
- Styles cannot be added, deleted, or changed, but they can be applied to text in your document to change the format of the text.
- Don’t forget to change the copyright date in the syllabus footer when revising your syllabus.
- Do not press the Enter key multiple times to leave blank lines anywhere in the syllabus. Spacing is built into styles.
- Do not insert tables or abbreviations into the document. Screen readers have a difficult time interpreting tables and abbreviations.
If you experience formatting problems when typing or pasting your information into the syllabus template, do the following:
- Highlight the problem text.
- Click one of the preformatted styles at the top of the document. This will re-apply the correct formatting to the text.
The following illustrates where the preformatted styles are applied to the syllabus template.