Tairangi School Procedure Statement
SICK BAY/MEDICAL ROOM NAG 5 Health & Safety
The following procedures are to be followed by the school:
- All children coming into the medical room will be attended to by an adult.
- All first-aid administered to students must be done by an adult.
- Procedures as outlined in HIV/AIDS and Other Blood Borne Viruses Statement are to be followed.
These statements are on the wall in the medical room.
- In the case of serious injury, administration staff will contact parents. If parents/caregiver or the emergency contacts cannot be located, the child will be taken to their doctor by the school. In the case of broken bones and excessive bleeding an ambulance will be called.
- The school will exercise special caution with any head injuries. Administration staff will contact the parents in each instance.
- When students are left in the medical room because of illness; administration staff will contact a parent/caregiver to come and pick them up. If no one can be located, the child will be supervised at school. Teachers will be kept informed.
- Children that have to be left in the medical room unattended will be checked on at regular intervals by administration staff.
- An accident register for severe accidents will be maintained by the person responsible for first-aid. Parents will be notified in writing when their child ahs a serious accident at school.
File:medroom5.doc Procedure Statement – Sick Bay/Medical Room