AAWCC Oregon State Board Meeting Minutes
July 30, 2020 - 1pm to 3pm
Members Attended: Lisa Fletcher-Gordon (VP - Finance), Sydney Frost (VP-OILD), Kristina Holton (VP-Registration), Lynn Irvin (Past - President), Donna Lewelling (President), Cherie Maas-Anderson (National Representative), Adrienne Ochs (VP-Summer Conference), Teri Olsen (President-Elect), Lydia Rediske (VP-Web Development), Lauren Smith (VP- Records), Donna Zmolek (VP-Communications), Amber Fultz (VP - Special Projects), and Irene Carillo (VP - Special Projects)
Meeting ID: 818 0530 0768
- Remove the strikethrough
- Motion to approve - Cherie; 2nd - Lynn; All in Favor - Motion Carries
- 2020 Summer Conference Debrief
- Question about including a question about money - May make folks uncomfortable or reluctant to ask other questions.
- Question about session length? Yes - This is included for each session.
- Group agreed that it was ready to be sent out ASAP
- Conference overall went well, wonderful, excellent - Teri and Adrienne kudos on keeping everything running smoothly, positive experience for attendees and presenters, good mix of professional and personal topics and presenters, Adrienne should start her own YouTube channel - Her energy was infectious. Adrienne shared appreciation for the support of the board and for trusting the planning team to pull things off.
- Chat from Zoom Room
- Happy Hour Discussion showed interest in current topics (i.e. Black Lives Matter, COVID, etc.). Mental Health and Stress during COVID would be valuable, Anti-Racist session, difficult conversations, creating space between home and work.
- 2020 - Fall Conference Decision Making
- There is an interest from the board in doing a virtual conference
- Length? Combination of days?
- Thursday afternoon/Friday Morning + Thursday Happy Hour
- AM on Thursday/Friday
- Virtual Painting? Bedtime Story? Virtual Cocktail or Treat?
- Breakout sessions are often the signature of a fall conference - If we do two half days, we could do a keynote to kick things off on each day and then do a 1-hour workshop on the backend.
- The easiest way to do this might be to use separate Zoom accounts for each breakout room.
- We’d likely only need approximately 8 breakout sessions - Maybe 4 options per day?
- We could still order plaques and have awardees take photos and add to the presentation - When should awards take place? Thursday might be best, when folks are fresher.
- Also, folks enjoyed the pacing of the Summer Conference, maybe with Mini-Workshops
- ACTION ITEM: Teri will connect with Lynn re: Award Nominations
- November 12th and 13th have been identified as AAWCC Fall Conference Data
- ACTION ITEM: Generic “Save the Date” for the above would be great to get out soon
- Timeline will also be needed - This will be easier since we don’t have to worry about hotel reservations. We may not get most folks’ attention until early fall, but can still do a Save the Date.
- Charging for registration at $25.00 - Would this include charges for Constant Contact? Still need to work through issues from the Fall 2019 Conference. There is a component of Constant Contact where you can add pricing, but we were also using WePay.
- Call for Proposals - How long is sufficient?
- Right after Labor Day? Zoom Meeting to vet proposals (AAWCC’s Got Talent auditions)?
- Reminder for Evals 8/10
- Save the Date and Call for Proposals (include Tech Specs) 8/24
- Proposals Due 9/25
- Registration Opens 10/1
- ACTION ITEM: Donna will pull together an outline and determine the components for what will be included in the Call for Proposals - Donna will also work on a more detailed schedule of events - Still need to determine theme and tracks.
- Fall Schedule - Keynote, Awards, Breakouts - Close Friday’s Meeting w. Business Session
- For entertainment, Donna will reach out to the two women who did the music last year - Paint Party would also be fun.
- ACTION ITEM: Lauren will send out Doodle Poll for August Meeting - COMPLETED
- Theme Ideas: Transitions, Embracing a New Normal, We’re Still in This Together
- ACTION ITEM: Lauren add Treasurer Report to each agena - COMPLETED
- ACTION ITEM: Prepare ballots for Fall Conference Business Meeting
- Need to have a list of attendees and email, to send to National AAWCC so they can be added to their list.
- $525 owed to National - Could we make a different deal w. National? What about chapters that cannot pay?
- For conferences, should we require national membership to attend? Or, continue compensating for those that don’t have this membership?
- We will pay last year’s membership - Lisa and Cherie will work with Kristina to figure this out.
- We will have a discussion once we hear about numbers for this year.
- Central Oregon, LBCC, BMCC, MHCC appear to pay their national dues? Unsure if this list is accurate.
- Virtual Conference - Do more in the future w. a “committee structure”
- Could we make all of our conferences physical and virtual? (hybrid)
- Would promote action during the slower period after the conference - For holidays, as an example
- More mini-mega conferences!
- There is an opportunity to engage more often - Women out there want to connect!
- Lynn has connected w. Irene for support on Mentorship
- They will come up with ideas on next steps - Possibly creating a call for mentors, that can be done in the fall.
Next Meeting Topics (August TBD):
- Treasurer Report (ongoing)
- Review Summer Conference feedback?
- Design and tightening up of Fall Conference schedule and events
- Talk more about a February virtual session/workshop
- Additional Campus Contact Communications or Campus Ambassadors (Adrienne/Donna) - Could include more regular connection to local AAWCC chapters
- Mentorship Follow-Up