General Body Meeting

03/17/19

9:00 PM Benjamin Franklin Room, Houston Hall

  1. Roll Call
  2. Open Forum
  3. Reports
  1. President’s Report
  1. Past Administrator Meetings
  2. Upcoming Administrator Meetings
  3. Upcoming Events
  4. DPS Commendations
  1. Vice President’s Report
  1. Final Steering Meeting
  1. UA Report
  1. Election Schedule
  2. UA Tabling
  3. Member of the Week
  1. Treasurer’s Report
  1. UA Contingency Request for Philomathean Society
  2. UA Contingency Request for Penn Figure Skating
  3. Penn Labs Common Funding Application Update
  1. Secretary’s Report
  1. Airport Shuttles
  2. Annual Report
  1. Project Highlights
  1. Student and Campus Life
  1. Increasing Access to Menstrual Health Items
  2. Club Recruitment Web Resource
  3. College Days
  1. Completion Reports
  1. Student and Campus Life
  1. Penn Community Wellness Guide Update
  1. Equity and Inclusion
  1. Pre-Major Advising Reform
  2. Direct Links to SRFS Advisors on Penn InTouch
  1. Dining, Housing, and Transit
  1. Sustainability Awareness Table Tents in Dining Halls
  2. Release and Rollout of Penn Rides on Request
  1. External Seats
  1. Trustee Committee on Budget & Finance
  2. Trustee Committee on Student Life
  1. Communications


Reports


President’s Report

  1. Past Administrator Meetings
  1. Vice Provost for University Life - February 27
  1. UA Cabinet met with VPUL Val Cade and AVP for Student Affairs Tamara King on February 27. We discussed follow-up from the menstrual products initiative, the VPUL audit of campus spaces for the purposes of evaluating spaces for cultural groups, performing arts groups, and wellness spaces, and addressing food insecurity on campus. In addition, we talked about the life skills education project and the importance of holistic education for Penn students.
  1. Faculty Senate - March 13
  1. We met with the Faculty Senate Tri-Chairs on Wednesday, March 13. We started by discussing the “Big Wellness Idea” project, which received 447 submissions that have been reviewed. In addition, we talked about the opportunities to incorporate the pass/fail tool into coursework, whether through allowing for general education requirements to be pass/fail and what the pros/cons of such a policy would be. Next, we talked about ways for grading to be more transparent, and how there are different incentives in grade autonomy for professors and students. Also, we discussed how to incentivize faculty to undergo training to work better with marginalized communities.
  1. Executive Vice President - March 15
  1. On Friday, March 15, UA Cabinet met with EVP Craig Carnaroli and AVP Tony Sorrentino. We started out by thanking them for the Panera Bread that will open in the next month or so. Then, we discussed ways for students to be more proactive in reporting building maintenance issues, whether in College Houses or academic buildings. As with other EVP meetings, we raised the issue of the necessity of affordable dining and shopping options on campus. In addition, we spoke about how to effectively communicate Penn’s tuition increases to students, particularly on the topic of what the increases go toward. Finally, we talked about the possibility of mobile PennCard integration, and are planning follow-up with Business Services.
  1. Council of Undergraduate Deans - March 13
  1. CUD convened on March 13. We began with a presentation from Ira Harkavy, who is the Director of the Netter Center for Community Partnerships. Ira talked about the impact that the Netter Center has had on community and civic engagement for Penn students through programming, ABCS courses, and their new voting initiatives. Students report strongly positive experiences having taken ABCS courses. Following this, we confirmed our support for the 2021-2022 academic year calendar, re-raising the student concern of short winter breaks. Afterward, we heard from David Fox, Director of NSOAI, who briefed the group on the upcoming “U-Night” inaugural event.
  1. Upcoming Administrator Meetings
  1. UA Cabinet will be meeting with the following administrative departments at the following dates/times. The Provost and President agendas are largely set, but if you have questions about them, or would like to add to the DPS agenda, please let me know!
  1. Provost Pritchett - March 20 at 4:30pm
  2. Division of Public Safety - March 22 at 1pm
  3. NSOAI - March 22 at 3pm
  4. President Gutmann - March 26 at 2pm
  1. Upcoming Events
  1. Focus Group on Dining in ARCH
  1. Unfortunately, Tortas Frontera has decided to close their on-campus location, and so Perelman Quadrangle is holding focus groups with students to discuss their interests for a replacement. The focus groups will take place on Tuesday, March 19 at 3pm (ARCH 110) and 5:30pm (Houston 111). If you are interested in attending, please email me by 5pm on Monday, March 18.
  1. Focus Group on College Housing
  1. As College Houses and Academic Services turns 20 years old and thinks about how to accommodate all sophomores living on campus, they are going through a strategic plan and looking for student feedback. This focus group will take place on Monday, March 25 from 12-1pm in the NCH Dining Hall. If you are interested, please email me by 5pm on Wednesday, March 20.
  1. ICARE Training
  1. There is an ICARE Training coming up on Sunday, April 7 from 1:30-4:30pm if anyone is interested. It is a very impactful training that can help you to help a friend in a pressing situation. If you are interested, you can register at www.vpul.upenn.edu/caps/icare.
  1. DPS Commendations Ceremony
  1. Every year, there is a DPS Commendation Ceremony and UA & GAPSA Recognition Awards.  We submit names and information about UPPD officers and Allied Barton Security officers.  I will send out a call for nominations in an upcoming all-school email.  Please spread the word to send any nominations to my email, president@pennua.org.

Vice-President’s Report

  1. We convened on Tuesday for the final Steering meeting of the semester. We were joined by Penn Wellness for a Teach In and we did a debrief discussion on questions we raised at our last meeting.

UA Report

  1. Election Schedule
  1. Thursday, March 28th
  1. Candidate Packets due/Candidates' Meeting
  1. Friday, March 29th
  1. Start of the Monetary Campaigning Period
  1. Monday, April 1st at 12AM –– Thursday, April 4th at 5PM
  1. Voting
  1. Monday, April 1st and Tuesday, April 2nd
  1. President and Vice President Debates
  1. Thursday April 4th
  1. Results Released
  1. Sunday, April 7th
  1. Potential FPC
  1. End of Year Schedule
  1. GBM
  1. March 24th
  2. March 31st
  3. April 7th
  1. Committees
  1. Week of March 19th
  2. Week of March 24th
  1. UA Tabling
  1. On Wednesday, March 20th the SCI Committee will be tabling on Locust. Be sure to stop by and say hello. Also if you have any suggestions on how to improve tabling in the future, please let Sravya know!
  1. Member of the Week
  1. This week’s member of the week is...

Treasurer’s Report

Philomathean Society Contingency Request

Authored by the UA Budget Committee

Group Event: Philomathean Society Annual Oration

Event Description: The Philomathean Society presents its 2019 Annual Oration, featuring Tracy K. Smith on "Why Poetry, Why Now?" Professor Smith is a Pulitzer Prize-winning poet, two-term Poet Laureate of the United States, and the head of Princeton's creative writing department. Professor Smith will speak on the urgency of poetry and literature in our tumultuous political world, giving her insights on the power of words to bring awareness to issues of race, gender, and class, and to cause everything from empathy to revolution. The event will be held in Myerson Hall at 7PM. The event is open to all Penn students. They expect 400 individuals to attend, with 350 being Penn undergrads.

Total Requested: $1004.00

Budget Committee Recommendation: $878.50

Budget Committee Reasoning: The group is requesting $204 for speaker travel and $800 for honorarium. The expenses being requested are in line with current Budget Committee Guidelines, however, as only 350 of the attendees will be Penn undergraduates, the budget committee recommends to fund the request at $878.50, or 87.5% This will bring the Contingency fund from $13,013.70 to $12,135.20.

Financial Overview:

Penn Figure Skating Contingency Request

Authored by the UA Budget Committee

Group Event: Penn Figure Skating Ice Show

Event Description: This event will be an hourlong skating show with performances from Penn’s figure skating team. The skating team at Penn is an incredibly inclusive community, with a range of level of skaters, from beginner skaters to international competitors. This show is an opportunity for the audience to see the ways that the skaters’ hard work throughout the semester has paid off. This show in particular is unique because it is themed; they will be performing to music selections from Disney classics! The event will be held in the Class of 1923 Ice Arena on 4/5/19 at 5:30PM. The event is open to all Penn students.

Total Requested: $400.00

Budget Committee Recommendation: $368.00

Budget Committee Reasoning: 

The group is requesting money to pay for using the ice rink. They have solely requested money from UA Contingency because the sports club moratorium has made them ineligible for other funding sources. The expenses being requested are in line with current Budget Committee Guidelines, however, as only 230 of the 250 attendees will be Penn undergraduates, the budget committee recommends to fund the request at $368.00, or 92%. This will bring the Contingency fund from $12,135.20 to $11,767.20.

Financial Overview:

Penn Labs Common Funding Application Update

On Tuesday, February 26th, I met with Penn Labs co-directors Valencia Fu and Cameron Cabo to discuss improvements that could be made to the Common Funding Application. I had compiled a report detailing feedback gathered during Funding Steering Assembly meetings that we went through to determine what changes were feasible. As always, Penn Labs was receptive to all of these changes and is currently working to make the funding application experience better and easier for both funding boards and student groups.

Secretary’s Report

  1. Airport Shuttles
  1. We sold a total of 554 tickets! Thanks so much to everyone who helped out.
  1. Annual Report
  1. Tomorrow morning, I will send an email to the body with detailed instructions for how to format and submit your projects overviews. Project overviews should detail every project you have worked on this year. Directors should review these updates correcting grammatical errors, factual inaccuracy, and adjusting overall tone if needed. Committee Directors should submit a committee overview. Members of Exec must submit progress relating to their position. These are due on Wednesday, March 27th.

Project Highlights


Student and Campus Life

Increasing Access to Menstrual Health Items

Authored by: Nikhil Gupta

 

Due to the snow day, the round-table administrator meeting organized by Monica Yant-Kinney (Chief Communications Officer of VPUL) was cancelled. In the meantime, I would like to enlist the help of female-identifying UA members to survey the stocking of existing dispensers on a single weekday in order to check the validity of the menstrual product map that administration has created. Additionally, I plan to contact student affairs administrators within each individual school due to the decentralized budgeting concerns. On campus organizations like PAGE, Penn Period Project, and Her Campus have recently declared their support for this initiative on social media. The letter of support has over 800 signatures, and Yale has successfully expanded the availability of free products on campus. The goal is to have some sort of pilot program for dispensing free or nearly-free menstrual health items at a convenient location on campus by the end of the year.  

 

Club Recruitment Web Resource  

Authored by: John Casey and Elena Hoffman

 

Over the session, I have partnered with Penn Labs to create the web infrastructure for the site and joined forces with Elena Hoffman and SAC to collect and populate information for the site. SAC has recently been meeting with all SAC-recognized clubs to determine their funding for the coming year. Penn Labs and I provided SAC with 2 questionnaires to collect information: one that asked for information that we hope to put on the website (ie. member expectations, club size, member testimonials, club events, and points of contact) and one that asked what type of features clubs would like to see on a comprehensive club website including, but not limited to, (1) having a profile page, (2) allowing students to show interest, (3) managing a dynamic roster of members, (4) including application information on the site.

 

Each SAC executive member has been charged with ensuring the clubs with which they liaise fill out both questionnaires. Currently 61 clubs have filled out the surveys, and we expect to have a 100% response rate by the end of next week. I will be meeting with Penn Labs in the following week to review the data, plan next steps, and discuss the need for a prototype/ model of the site. We hope to have the site completed and ready by the Fall SAC activities fair.

College Day Revitalization

Authored by: Dante Diggs

In collaboration with the Netter Center and other potential partners (e.g., Kite and Key), the program previously known as “College Day” will be revitalized. Through this one-day event, middle school  students from the local Philadelphia area will be able to take a tour of the university, participate in a class, learn more about the college experience, and more. The aims of this program are to embolden students to pursue college as an option and to demystify the college process in general. I have met with Ira Harkavy and Glenn Bryan who are large proponents of the project to discuss the past execution of the event. In the future, I hope to talk to Cory Bowman to discuss the logistics of bringing the students from a Netter Center affiliated school to Penn.


Completion Reports


Student and Campus  Life

Penn Community Wellness Guide Update

Authored by: Simon Miller and Michael Krone

 

Over the last 2 months, Michael and I have worked with Penn Wellness to update the Penn Community Wellness Guide. This includes adding new resources, such as Project HEAL, that better apply to different communities on campus, as well as adding open hours for important Penn resources. Additionally, it includes markings that denote which resources are completely confidential and the most updated website link for each organization. You can find the guide linked here.

Equity and Inclusion

Pre-Major Advising Reform

Authored by: Ryan Bush and Regan Mizrahi

 

This past week, I met with Dr. Janet Tighe, the director of pre-major advising for the College, a final time to solidify the UA-College Office relationship moving forward. I provided her with the student testimonials I acquired from SCUE, and encouraged her to incorporate them into her welcome programming for incoming classes. I also reiterated, as an advocate for the UA, our continued commitment as a body to helping the College Office communicate its initiatives and resources to the Penn student body. Finally, I suggested the implementation of a comprehensive list of office hours for each College major to be posted on the College website and updated every semester, an initiative Dr. Tighe was incredibly receptive to and planned to advocate for during the next major revision of the website.

 

Direct Links to SRFS Advisors on PennInTouch

Authored by: Thomas Cosentino

 

Currently, students do not have direct access to their advisor for SRFS in Penn in Touch despite having direct access to academic advisors. Instead, students are directed to the overarching financial services email. Prior to meeting with SRFS, we believed this would burden students with time sensitive and often private financial information regarding financial aid, preferring a direct link to advisors. After meeting with SRFS administration, however, I realized that students are taken to the overall office's email in order to ensure they get the quickest response. The SRFS office uses response software allowing them to direct each email to the correct respondent, even showing the software’s response time data to back it up. The core problem, therefore, is confusion among students over why they are not directed straight to their advisors. At my encouragement, SRFS is drafting text that will explain to students why they are directed to the general office upon clicking the advisor link.

Dining, Housing, and Transit

Penn Dining and Food Waste, Disposal, and Recovery Awareness

Authored by: Maria Curry and Michael Krone

On February 26th, Michael and I met with Pam Lampitt, Director of Business Services and Hospitality Services (and NJ congresswoman!), and other administrators within Penn Dining. For example, dining composting mechanisms include a "Bio-Bin" in NCH, a "Bio-Digester" in Hill, and a "Bio-Extractor" in Houston, and all food eligible for donation is picked up by charities like Philabundance from on-campus locations and the Salvation Army.

Two initiatives that came out of the meeting were (1) creating physical table tents for the tables in the dining hall and (2) updating current reporting online to raise awareness and educate students on what Penn Dining does surrounding excess food. As of next week, table tents with bright and attractive designs will be placed in all dining halls with the following phrase (most are prefaced by "Ever wonder where our

food waste goes?"):

Release and Rollout of Penn Rides on Request

Authored by: Arjun Swaminathan, Maria Curry, and Michael Krone

 

Over the course of the year, we have met multiple with Business Services, most often with Director of Communications and External Relations Barbara Lea–Kruger, to discuss the release and rollout of the new Penn Transit application Penn Rides on Request. The app offers a ride requesting service similar to Uber and Lyft as well as routes and up–to–date locations of the Penn buses that travel across campus. This past Friday, the three of us as well as Class Board 2019 VP of External Affairs Candy Alfaro met with Business Services in a focus group to provide feedback on the early rollout of the application, highlighting ways in which to make it more user–friendly and clarifying other questions held about ride requests. Business Services will continue to make changes to improve the application’s efficiency while encouraging additional people to download and use it over time.


External Seats


Trustee Committee on Budget & Finance

Authored by: Natasha Menon

On Thursday, February 28, the Trustee Committee on Budget & Finance convened at the Inn at Penn. A resolution passed to authorize Tuition, Fees and other Student Charges for the Academic Year 2019-2020. Breaking the numbers down, tuition will be $51,156, fees total $6,614, room charges total $10,600, and the meal plan totals $5,590. The undergraduate financial aid budget for Academic Year 2019-2020 will total $247 million. There was also a resolution passed to renovate certain floors of McNeil, along with a presentation by School of Engineering Dean Kumar about potential expansions.

Trustee Committee on Student Life

Authored by: Michael Krone

On Thursday, February 28, the Trustee Committee on Student Life convened at the Inn at Penn. The topic of discussion was the international experience and global programming, particularly through Penn Abroad and programs like the Global Research and Internship Program. There was a presentation from Ezekiel Emmanual, the Vice Provost for Global Initiatives, and Amy Gadsden, who is the director of Penn Global. In addition, there was a panel of students who are either international, taken advantage of global programs, or both.


Minutes


  1. Roll Call
  1. Alicia- Ice Skating
  2. Ryan- AM on EI
  1. Open Forum
  1. Reports
  1. President’s Report
  1. Past Administrator Meetings
  1. In the past few weeks, Cabinet met with VPUL, the  Tri-Chairs of Faculty Senate, and EVP Carnaroli and AVP Sorrentin. Please let me know if you have any questions about any of these meetings.
  1. Nikhil: What did you discuss about menstrual projects at VPUL?
  2. Michael: We briefed Val on the map and your actions via social media. We will follow up at our meeting when it is rescheduled.
  3. Natasha: What is U-Night?
  4. Michael: If you remember, it is the event that Charles is planning that is focused on building community.
  5. John: What did you discuss regarding pass/fail initiatives?
  6. Michael: We talked about our take and the UA on pass/fail policy as well as other groups like WAB. We talked about reducing the amount of credits and reducing stigma about pass/fail in order to build academic exploration. With grade transparency, we talked about how much power faculty have on the way they present and rank grades. The method we should take is empowering students to be academically aware of their rights.
  1. Upcoming Administrator Meetings
  1. Michael: Cabinet will be meeting with the administrative departments listed above. The agendas are kind of set, but please reach out with any additions to these agendas. President and Provost are a bit more locked in, though.
  2. Brian: We really do want your input. Definitely reach out if you want something of yours brought up at that.
  3. Chase: Is DPS looking into the change in electric scooter policy?
  4. Michael: We could potentially bring this up if it is a change that is happening soon.
  1. Upcoming Events
  1. Michael: In the next couple of weeks, there will be various opportunities to attend focus groups with administrative departments who want student feedback. There are two for the Dining in ARCH focus group to replace Frontera and College Housing. Please attend if you have relevant projects. There is also an upcoming ICARE Training on April 7 from 1:30-4:30pm for those of you who were not able to make the last one.
  2. Mandi: Why are they leaving? And will the next thing be a similar set up?
  3. Michael: They make no money being here and yes, there will be some sort of dining dollar option fast stop place.
  4. Max: I definitely recommend attending these focus groups. The administrators genuinely listen.
  1. DPS Commendations Ceremony
  1. Michael: Every year, there is a DPS Commendation Ceremony and UA & GAPSA Recognition Awards. We submit names and information about UPPD officers and Allied Barton Security officers.  I will include information for nominations in an upcoming all-school email. Please direct any nominations to my email, president@pennua.org. The ceremony is on April 4th.
  1. Vice President’s Report
  1. Final Steering Meeting
  1. Jordan: This past Tuesday was the final Steering meeting of this session. Penn Wellness presented a Teach In, and we recapped our discussion on questions we raised at our last meeting. The semester is only half way over, so don’t stop working on your project. Continue to think forward.
  1. UA Report
  1. Election Schedule
  1. Brian: For all new people on the UA, the Spring elections are more lowkey, so don’t stress too much. The election cycle begins on March 28th and concludes on April 4th if there are no FPC violations.
  2. Jess: If anyone has questions, reach out to us!
  1. End of Year Schedule
  1. Brian: There are only three GBMs, only two normal ones are left then the last one is our communications GBM. There are only two committee meetings left in the semester. Be sure to wrap things up project wise.
  1. UA Tabling
  1. Brian: On Wednesday SCI will be tabling on Locust Wednesday. If you have any suggestions on how to improve tabling in the future, please let Sravya know!
  2. Thomas: Have we seen any impact from this initiative?
  3. Brian: We have gotten some decent projects from it, but we will re-evaluate at the end of the year.
  4. Chase: Have we looked at the suggestions we have received?
  5. Brian: Sravya is in charge of compiling them into a document for review at the end of the session.
  6. Jordan: Some people are sending them via the website, so we receive those. A lot of them are long term projects, so it will be a while before we see progress.
  1. Treasurer’s Report
  1. UA Contingency Request for Philomathean Society
  1. Natasha: The Philomathean Society is requesting $1004 for their Annual Oration event. The event will be held in Myerson Hall at 7PM and is open to all Penn students. They expect 400 individuals to attend, with 350 being Penn undergraduates. Budget committee recommends funding $878.50 because of the proportion of Penn students attending. This would bring the Contingency fund from $13,013.70 to $12,135.20.
  2. John: Is this the precedent from past years?
  3. Sydney: Yes. Less “popular” guests have gathered this amount.
  4. Jordan: Date?
  5. Sydney: March 28th.
  6. Request passes with a vote of 20-0-0.
  1. UA Contingency Request for Penn Figure Skating
  1. Natasha: Penn Figure Skating is requesting $400 for their annual Ice Show. The event will be held in the Class of 1923 Ice Arena on April 5th at 5:30PM. The event is open to all Penn students. They are expecting 250 attendees with about 230 of them being Penn undergrads, so Budget Committee recommends funding $368. This will bring the Contingency fund from $12,135.20 to $11,767.20.
  2. John: Was there precedent for this amount of people?
  3. Alicia: Yes, the one last year got a bit over 250.
  4. Brian: I feel as though Penn should not charge student groups for the ice.
  5. Alicia: They charge for the ice because they do not have the best funding. We are entirely self-funded, so this is very difficult.
  6. Chase: How do you plan to gather the remainder for money?
  7. Alicia: The revenue from the event and working with SAC.
  8. Jordan: You’re selling tickets?
  9. Alicia: Yes.
  10. Request passes with a vote of 21-0-0.
  11. Jude: What happens to the rest of the contingency funds?
  12. Natasha: The rest of the funds rollover to next year, but there are also funds allocated to this fund so we try to spend it all.
  1. Penn Labs Common Funding Application (CFA) Update
  1. Natasha: Every FSA meeting, we gathered suggestions for the CFA. We brought these issues to Penn Labs on February 26th to discuss improvements that could be made to the CFA. Penn Labs was receptive to all of these changes and is currently working to implement them. I will keep you all updated on progress.
  1. Secretary’s Report
  1. Airport Shuttles
  1. Mercedes: We sold a total of 554 shuttles tickets! Thanks so much to Airport Shuttles committee, Comm Team, and the general UA membership for all your help in publicising and staffing shifts.
  1. Annual Report
  1. Mercedes: Tomorrow, I will send an email to you all with detailed instructions for how to format and submit your projects overviews. Project overviews should detail every project you have worked on this year. Directors should review these updates correcting grammatical errors, factual inaccuracy, and adjusting overall tone if needed. Committee Directors should submit a committee overview. Members of Exec must submit progress relating to their position. I will include a template for all of these things in the email. These are due on Wednesday, March 27th, but please start as soon as possible.
  2. Natasha: Be sure to actually follow the formatting that Mercedes sends because it will make her job very tedious if you don’t.
  1. Project Highlights
  1. Student and Campus Life
  1. Increasing Access to Menstrual Health Items
  1. Nikhil: The original meeting was cancelled because of the snow day. While this meeting is being rescheduled, I would like to enlist the help of female-identifying UA members to survey existing dispensers on a single weekday in order to verify the menstrual product map that administration has created. I will be sending a slack message to join the slack channel for this. This has become a movement on campus, and the letter of support has over 800 signatures. The goal is to have some sort of pilot program for dispensing free or nearly-free menstrual health items at a convenient location on campus by the end of the year.
  2. Chase: What about the machines that require quarters?
  3. Nikhil: There is a way to rig the machines to make them free.
  4. Brian: No one carries quarters, so that is another barrier.
  1. Club Recruitment Web Resource  
  1. John: Over the session, I have partnered with Penn Labs to do the tech stuff and joined forces with SAC to collect and populate information for the site. SAC has been meeting with all SAC-recognized clubs to determine their funding for the coming year. In these meetings, they ask the groups to complete two questionnaires: one for basic website information and the other for types of features clubs would like to see on a comprehensive club website. SAC has promised to follow up continuously with these groups. Over 60 clubs have filled these out, so I am hopeful about completion. Elena has been very helpful in this process. We hope to have this resource completed in time for the Fall SAC fair.
  1. College Day Revitalization
  1. Dante: “College Day” essentially is a day for middle school students from the local Philadelphia area to learn about the college experience with the aims of this program are to encourage students to pursue college as an option and to demystify the college process in general. Dining, Administration, and Kite and Key are vital partners in this process.
  2. Jude: What about the inclusion of high school students?
  3. Dante: I think it would be better to catch students earlier, but I will keep this suggestion in mind.
  4. Natasha: Sola worked on this and everything execution-wise fell on her-- be sure you have the support of these collaborators to foster longevity.
  1. Completion Reports
  1. Student and Campus Life
  1. Penn Community Wellness Guide Update
  1. Michael:  The Penn Community Wellness Guide was a bit outdated, so we updated it. We added new resources, operating hours for important Penn resources, and distinction of confidential resources. You can find the guide linked here.
  2. Brian: Is there a reason you got rid of the boxes around the information?
  3. Michael: To reduce the amount of things on the page with the addition of resources.
  1. Equity and Inclusion
  1. Pre-Major Advising Reform
  1. Ryan: This past week, I met with Dr. Janet Tighe to communicate that UA is meant to be a partner in this process and that we hope to build a strong relationship moving forward. I provided her with the student testimonials from SCUE, and encouraged her to incorporate them into her welcome programming for incoming classes. She was receptive to this and planned to advocate for during the next major revision of the website.
  1. Direct Links to SRFS Advisors on Penn InTouch
  1. Thomas: Currently, students do not have direct access to their advisor for SRFS in Penn InTouch. Instead, students are directed to the overarching financial services email which led to some confusion on the student side. After meeting with SRFS administration, I realized that students are taken to the office's email in order to ensure they get the quickest response. Their average response time is around a few hours. SRFS is drafting text that will explain to students why they are directed to the general office upon clicking the advisor link. They were really easy to work with are are open to meeting with us and receiving feedback.
  1. Dining, Housing, and Transit
  1. Penn Dining and Food Waste, Disposal, and Recovery Awareness
  1. Maria: In February 26th, Michael and I met with Pam Lampitt and other Penn Dining administrators. Two initiatives that came out of the meeting were (1) creating physical table tents for the tables in the dining hall and (2) updating current reporting online to raise awareness and educate students on what Penn Dining does surrounding excess food. As of next week, table tents with bright and attractive designs will be placed in all dining halls. They love feedback, so pleaser reach out.  
  1. Release and Rollout of Penn Rides on Request
  1. Maria: Definitely download the app and use it and provide feedback. It is not a hard Rollout, but they will be incorporating feedback into the additional releases. Business Services will continue to make changes to improve the application’s efficiency while encouraging additional people to download and use it over time.
  1. External Seats
  1. Trustee Committee on Budget & Finance
  1. Natasha: In February, the Trustee Committee on Budget & Finance met. A resolution passed to authorize Tuition, Fees and other Student Charges for the Academic Year 2019-2020. The undergraduate financial aid budget for Academic Year 2019-2020 will total $247 million. There was also a resolution passed to renovate floors 1, 3, and 5th floors of McNeil.
  2. Michael: There was an article saying there would be a building with a membership option-- future leadership, please advocate for this to not be a thing that happens.
  1. Trustee Committee on Student Life
  1. Michael: The Trustee Committee on Student Life met. We discussed the international student experience and global programming, particularly through Penn Abroad and programs like the Global Research and Internship Program. There was a presentation from Ezekiel Emanuel, the Vice Provost for Global Initiatives, and Amy Gadsden, who is the director of Penn Global. In addition, there was a panel of students who are either international, taken advantage of global programs, or both.
  1. Communications