Little Elkhart Chapter of Trout Unlimited
Meeting Minutes – August 8, 2018
Tom Vanderputten Jim Phillips Leonard Gustin Nick Christofeno Mike Beachy
Court Walker John Hollister
- The minutes from July 11, 2018 were approved.
- Water temperature warning 70 degrees. Always check before fishing.
- Friday July 27 Mike reports 8 each of both browns and rainbows
- Saturday July 28 Mike and Nick fished the Little Elkhart in the area of the New County Park. The total caught was 5 browns and 2 rainbows.
- Sunday July 29 Mike fished at CR 35 (new bridge construction) caught 3 browns and 1 rainbow.
- Keith Loutzenhiser submitted the financial report for July 2018. The total summary for all accounts was $ 26,583.96
- LECTU received a $ 100 donation from Dr. Burns. Also received $ 5 for a river guide.
- Second part of gaming commission report due August 15, 2018.
- Mike made purchases for river work projects - $ 329.46 to E Rigging and $ 36.18 to Menards, and $ 32.09 to Tractor Supply.
Wilbur Yoder Property
- Mike summarized a discussion he had with Wilbur Yoder regarding his chicken house. Wilbur has heard of possible animal rights activists coming to his property. He is asking LECTU to be aware of this and to report any unusual people to him.
- Summer Newsletter will be late and released later this summer (August/September)
- Received correspondence from Charles Jarrod an LECTU member from the UK staying on vacation at Stone Lake. He was invited to the work day.
New County Park
- Nick and Mike fished a majority of what will be the new section. Very nice water. Lots of rock and good grade. Tough access right now, and one property with deer stands, turkey ground blind and posted sighs.
Catch and Release Proposal for New Park (Re-Copied from December 13, 2017 Minutes)
- Redraft old proposal into new proposal
- Start working on names of the people we need to lobby regarding proposal
- Research names and addresses of property owners across the river from new park
- Draft the letter to be sent. Meet with each person to explain and answer questions
Summer Work Days
- At this point this is The Meadow Project Phase II, Part B
- Phase III will require additional work days
- Next work days are August 18th and September 15th
- The trailer is working very nicely, keeping equipment dry and working.
Project Trailer (reprinted from Meeting Minutes of July 11, 2018)
- At this time the trailer has not been licensed or renovated. It has been moved to The Meadow, and is being used as is.
- The following still needs to be accomplished:
- Keith will arrange title and license
- Bob Roth will customize the interior after LECTU has the trailer
- Keith will meet with Chris Miller to get specs needed to apply for title and license.
- Mike wants to purchase some new equipment (chainsaw, log roller, etc.)
- The committee would like LECTU and Dar Deegan to do a presentation, and talk about the benefits of the Little Elkhart River
- Nick and Leonard attended the last meeting and the date is set for August 25th.
- LECTU will have a booth and tie flies, applications for TU and other chapter information.
Middlebury Youth Fishing Contest
- The date for this event is August 11th at 9:00am
- Court Walker is the LECTU contact person.
- John Hollister and Steve Mack will also be attending and helping.
Valpo Fly Casting Club
- This was held July 25 to July 28. Nobody from LECTU attended.
Indy Fly Show
- LECTU received a reminder that the date will be January 19th and 20th. The set-up will be on Friday January 18th.
- LECTU will participate with a booth.
- Since this is the first show where LECTU sells tickets for the annual raffle and outing, we discussed changing the name from Adopt-a-Trout to something more general with the emphasis on the stream work and habitat restoration.
- Presented by IN Wildlife Fed., National Wildlife Fed., TU, Michigan Conservation Clubs.
- Steve Mack attended info meeting in Portage IN on July 21st. Steve reported it was a very good meeting and program.
- The presenter was John Goss and LECTU is considering him for our annual outing.
Next Meeting - September 12, 2018 at 7:00 PM at the Middlebury Library
Tom Vanderputten - Secretary