Children’s Kiva Montessori School
Elementary/Middle School - Board of Directors Special Meetings
12.07.18 at 1 pm - Cortez City Hall, 123 E Roger Ave.
BOD Approved on 12.17.18
- Call to Order - Special Meeting
- Kelli called the meeting to order at 1 pm.
- Roll Call: Kelli Jackson, President; Stacey Weyand, Vice President; Tamia Hurst, Secretary; Cayce Hamerschlag, Treasurer; Holley Christensen, Member; Jordan Meyers, Member (via phone)
Absent from BOD: Melissa Gould
Community Members: None
- Vision – Children’s Kiva Montessori School will provide a vibrant and engaging learning environment based on the teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori that supports all students’ academic excellence and ability to become empowered, creative, lifelong learners responsible for themselves, their community, and their environment.
Mission – Children’s Kiva Montessori School uses authentic Montessori methods, Community-Based educational approaches, and integrated academics (STEAM) to support student academic success, responsibility, and independence.
- Motion to Adopt Agenda: Tamia moved to approve the agenda as presented. Motion seconded. Discussion: Cayce requested the following business be discussed under VI: a. MOU and b. Outside Financial Services. No further discussion. All in favor of the motion. Motion carried.
- Executive Session: pursuant to CRS 24-6-402 (4)(b) - conference with an attorney for purposes of receiving legal advice on specific legal questions.
- Recorded on Tamia’s IPhone.
- At 1:02 pm Stacey moved to enter into Executive Session pursuant to C.R.S. 24-6-402 (4)(b) - conference with an attorney for purposes of receiving legal advice on specific legal questions. Motion seconded. Kelli stipulated that all current E/M S BOD members and William Bethke, our attorney, be in attendance with no other persons invited to attend. No further discussion. Motion approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Stacey moved to exit out of Executive Session at 2:17 pm. Motion seconded, no discussion. Motion approved unanimously. Motion carried.
- Note: no action was taken during the Executive Session.
- Cayce recommended that our Board follow through with the termination of our MOU as outlined in the MOU between Children’s House and Elementary/Middle School regarding the Temporary Interim Head of School position so that the Board may move forward with the hiring of a long term Head of School.
- Cayce moved that the E/M S Board of Directors terminate the MOU between Children's House and the Elementary/Middle School for the Temporary Interim Head of School position effective upon extending a Letter of Hire to the Interim Head of School. Motion seconded. Discussion: Children's House Board of Directors will need to approve this same action in order to be effective. The CH BOD will be meeting on Monday, December 10, 2018. No further discussion. All in favor of the motion. Motion carried.
- Outside Financial Services
- Finance Committee: seek out estimates for contractual financial services.
- New Business
- BOD Report to Kiva Konnect Newsletter or Community, if applicable
- Next Meeting(s)
- Special Board Meeting - Monday, December 10, 2018 at 7:30 pm at Children’s House, 1204 E Empire.
- Adjournment - Tamia moved to adjourn the meeting, unanimously approved. Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 2:39 pm.
Prepared by Tamia Hurst, BOD Secretary