Tairangi School - Crisis Management Plan
CRISIS MANAGEMENT NAG 3 Personnel
NAG 5 Health & Safety
For the purposes of this statement the definition of crisis is any situation that involves grief, trauma or severe personal injury – a major event.
Staff – Board of Trustees – General
- Once the nature of the situation has been determined the party/parties concerned will be offered any counselling services available to the school.
- Immediate family will be notified.
- If necessary Police and emergency services will be informed.
- The school’s insurers will be informed on any situation where a claim against the school may be lodged.
- If an event occurs which involves ambulance care a staff member/friend will accompany the injured party to hospital.
- The Principal or his delegate will assume control of all courses of action.
Specific Situations – Assault
- The staff member will be made safe.
- The assailant’s movement will be restricted where possible.
- Police (111) will be contacted.
- All witnesses will be asked to provide signed, written statements immediately the safety of all parties has been assured.
- Any and all cases of assault against a staff member will be vigorously pursued through the legal system.
Burglary, Theft, Arson or Wilful Damage.
- Relevant emergency services will be notified.
- All witnesses will be asked to provide signed, written statements as soon as possible.
Death of a Staff Member
- All evidence will be secured and made available to any investigation.
- All relevant aspects listed in the General Statement will be actioned.
- Where necessary the school will support any legal action brought by a staff member.
- In all cases where legal action may arise, the Board’s insurers will be notified.
Grief, Personal Loss – Staff
- The staff member will be given access to any counselling services that may be of assistance.
- Relevant leave provision will be enacted according to the current award relevant to the status of the individual concerned.
- Key family members will be informed.
- In the event where a personal tragedy occurs during working hours, the Principal and another staff member will provide support until such time as a key family member can be located.
- In the event of a staff member dying – the school will close on the day of the funeral and all staff will attend the funeral.
Grief, Personal Loss – Student
In the event of a child’s family member dying, the child will:
- Be provided with appropriate adult support (class teacher, favourite teacher etc).
- Counselling services through GSE will be made available for the child and next of kin.
- In the event of a funeral, the class teacher, Principal and selected students (with parental approval) will attend the funeral to support their classmate.
Major National Disaster
In the event of a fire, earthquake flood or any other disaster striking the school, the following procedures will be adopted.
- Relevant evacuation plans will be followed.
- Emergency services will be notified.
- Radio announcements will be places with:
Newstalk ZB Phone: 472-1035
Samoan Radio Phone: 385-2294
Classic Hits Phone: 802-4710
and any other broadcast outlet that may be available.
- All staff will be required initially to remain on site to supervise children.
- Students will be accommodated in a safe structure within the school campus, preferably the school hall.
- Parents will be required to call and collect their children form school.
- All children going with a parent or caregiver will be accounted for.
- No child will be released into the care of a stranger.
- The school’s supply of tuck shop and lunch foods will be used to feed children in an emergency.
- Curtains and bedding fro around the school will be used to provide warmth to children who are not claimed.
- As children are claimed by their parents, staff members will be released from their supervisory responsibilities. The priority for release will be
- those with young dependant children;
- those with other dependants;
- those who have a big distance to cover in getting home;
- any others;
- The Principal should remain to the very last to ensure all children are safely accounted for.
Personal Accident or Injury to a Staff Member
- Immediate first aid will be rendered.
- Ambulance will be called.
- Next of kin will be notified.
- From this point relevant sick leave provisions of the injured party’s respective award will be activated.
School Trustees Assn
Helpdesk – Ron Mulligan
Industrial Relations – Erin Walter
Crombie Lockwood & Co
Group Special Education
Police Youth Aid
235-7691 Waitangirua Community Police
Porirua Fire Station
Samoan Capital Radio
Classic Hits Radio
Community Health Nurse
570-9002 Dianne Kerse
Maori Community Helpers
027 248 6335 Stan Lingman
235-9560 Jean Whakaneke
235-7359 Sakafi Elia
235-5444 Lorraine Trego
Cook Island Community
235-8769 Jean-Marie Akavi
File:crisis35.doc Crisis Management Plan