2010 Master of Science (MS), Information Sciences
University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN
2006 Master of Fine Arts (MFA), Creative Writing
McNeese State University, Lake Charles, LA
2006 Master of Arts (MA), English
McNeese State University, Lake Charles, LA
2002 Bachelor of Arts (BA), Journalism & English
Louisiana Tech University, Ruston, LA
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, IL
2021 - present: Head of Scholarly Commons and Media Commons, University Library
- Lead the consolidation of Scholarly Commons and Media Commons staff, services, and spaces.
- Initiate, shape, and develop the merged unit’s overall strategy, brand, and programs.
- Coordinate the design, implementation, and assessment of user-centered and cross-disciplinary research support and media production services in collaboration with library and campus partners.
- Innovate and experiment with services to promote a collaborative and a cohesive service philosophy.
- Oversee unit operations, including a service desk, budget, technology, and personnel.
- Promote unit activities on campus and in the library via website, community-building events, and social media accounts.
- Prepare strategic plans, annual reports, and budget proposals.
- Work with Library Advancement to secure funding and donor support.
- Pursue grant funding to support innovative and emergent programs.
University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, TX
2019 - 2021: Director of Open Educational Resources, UTA Libraries
2016 - 2019: Open Education Librarian, UTA Libraries
- Managed the operations, $500,000 annual budget, and staff in the UTA Libraries’ Open Educational Resources (OER) Department; led data collection and program assessment activities.
- Oversaw the OER publication services of Mavs Open Press; collaborated with internal and external stakeholders to develop, license, and disseminate educational content and ensured preservation, accessibility, and discoverability of the digital collection.
- Created and administered a grant program to fund and support the adoption, modification, and creation of open and affordable educational content.
- Led outreach, brand development, marketing, and education efforts to raise awareness, increase use, and measure the impact of open educational practices.
- Consulted with faculty on course materials, course design, and renewable assessment.
- Identified and implemented open source technologies, authoring tools, and content management systems to support educational content publishing and student engagement.
- Supervised employees, contractors, and projects to advance student success and affordability goals; engaged in strategic planning, delegated and evaluated work, established schedules and workflows, and communicated priorities and opportunities.
- Developed educational programs, workshops, and professional development.
- Collaborated with campus partners to integrate OER and copyright literacy into programs, policies, and communications.
- Advised university and system administration on issues related to OER, intellectual property, and resource affordability.
- Represented the university in meetings and activities with external stakeholders and partners.
- Kept the UTA community informed of trends and opportunities in the educational resource landscape; recruited and supported faculty in seeking external grant funding for OER projects.
- As Open Education Librarian, provided research consultations, instruction, and other consultation services to faculty and students in the College of Education; conducted outreach to increase awareness of scholarly communication issues, including Open Access publishing options, authors’ rights, and flexible licensing.
University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS
2014 - 2016: Undergraduate Learning Specialist, KU Libraries
- Streamlined instructional policies and processes for Research and Learning Division.
- Managed, developed, promoted, and assessed educational content creation for the Libraries’ information literacy program; oversaw instructional content in the university’s course management system.
- Consulted with faculty on learning outcomes, assignment design, and assessment.
- Taught upper- and lower-level classes across a variety of academic disciplines on basic and advanced research strategies, copyright, and scholarly publishing.
- Planned, promoted, implemented, and assessed programs and services for undergraduate students.
- Supervised student employees; managed contractors within allocated budget.
- Collaborated with campus partners to provide experiential learning opportunities and implement high-impact practices.
- Supported scholarly communication and Open Access education and outreach initiatives.
2011 – 2014 Technical Writer
Pinnacle Technology, Inc., Lawrence, KS
- Used Adobe products to produce print marketing materials, such as brochures and catalogs, for pre-clinical brain and behavioral research tools.
- Wrote, edited, and maintained procedure manuals and support documentation for all neurophysiological research hardware and software; managed image assets.
- Edited federal grant proposals, conference poster presentations, and academic journal submissions.
- Managed email marketing campaigns in MailChimp and edited HTML to customize content and troubleshoot issues; oversaw the company’s client portfolio.
- Collaborated on web redesign and wrote web content.
- Developed and managed annual and project-based calendars; monitored and reported on progress toward project deliverables.
- Wrote test procedures and tested software and hardware.
- Collaborated with colleagues to plan events at conferences and trade shows, including the annual meetings of the Society for Neuroscience, the American Academy of Sleep Medicine, and the American Epilepsy Society.
Washburn University, Topeka, KS
2010 – 2011: Health Sciences and Distance Education Librarian, Mabee Library
2010: Adjunct Faculty, English Department
- Promoted health literacy and evidence-based practices as liaison to the departments of allied health, kinesiology, and nursing.
- Oversaw collection development for health sciences.
- Conducted and taught complex search strategies of medical databases.
- Contributed to reference and research consultation services.
- Designed and taught synchronous and asynchronous for-credit information literacy courses both online and in person.
- Participated in redesign of library spaces, development of tutoring center, grant writing, and orientation activities.
- Investigated and recommended emerging technology.
- As adjunct faculty, taught first-year composition course.
2008 – 2010 Technical Writer
TRU Waste Processing Center, Lenoir City, TN
- Collaborated across departments and organizations to edit and improve monthly Department of Energy communications.
- Wrote and edited plans, policies, procedures, and proposals.
- Collected and standardized resumes of site personnel to support requests for proposals.
- Produced and distributed bi-monthly newsletters.
- Organized a site-wide Toys-for-Tots charity drive, raising the equivalent of $30,000 for Loudon County families.
Pittsburg State University, Pittsburg, KS
2009: Instruction and Learning Resources Intern, Leonard H. Axe Library
- Designed and led information literacy instruction for undergraduate and graduate courses in a variety of disciplines, including English, biology, nursing, and business administration.
- Provided reference services.
- Redesigned the English user instruction curriculum.
Labette Community College, Parsons, KS
2009: Adjunct, English Department
- Taught English Composition II.
McNeese State University, Lake Charles, LA
2006 – 2007: Instructor, English Department
2006: Visiting Lecturer, English Department
2003 – 2006: Graduate Teacher, English Department
2004: Graduate Assistant, Frazar Memorial Library
- Designed and delivered lessons and assignments, provided feedback, worked individually with diverse student populations, and assessed learning in a variety of programs:
- Taught first-and-second-year composition
- Taught early admissions composition courses
- Taught remedial writing in intensive summer program for under-prepared students
- Taught literature, composition, and creative writing in a gifted children’s program
- Taught creative writing in the university’s Leisure Learning and Kids College programs
- Assisted patrons in Frazar Library’s Circulation Department and served as assistant to the Government Documents Librarian.
- Eds. Sarah Hare, Jessica Kirschner, and Michelle Reed. Marking Open and Affordable Courses: Best Practices and Case Studies. Mavs Open Press, 2020.
- Reed, Michelle. “Creating Learning Opportunities in Open Education: An Exploration of the Intersections of Information Literacy and Scholarly Communication.” OER: A Field Guide for Academic Librarians. Eds. Andrew Wesolek, Jonathan Lashley, and Anne Langley. Pacific University Press, 2018.
- Reed, Michelle and Ciara Turner. “Experiential Learning and Open Education: Partnering with Students to Evaluate OER Accessibility.” OER: A Field Guide for Academic Librarians. Eds. Andrew Wesolek, Jonathan Lashley, and Anne Langley. Pacific University Press, 2018.
- Reed, Michelle, Philip Duncan, and Germaine Halegoua. “Engaging Our Student Partners: Student Leadership in a Library-Initiated Experiential Learning Project.” Undergraduate Research and the Academic Librarian: Case Studies & Best Practices. Eds. Merinda Kaye Hensley and Stephanie Davis-Kahl. Chicago: Association of College & Research Libraries (ACRL), 2017.
- Reed, Michelle and Merinda Kaye Hensley. “Image of Research: Celebrating and Sharing Undergraduate Work.” Undergraduate Research and the Academic Librarian: Case Studies & Best Practices. Eds. Merinda Kaye Hensley and Stephanie Davis-Kahl. Chicago: ACRL, 2017.
- Reed, Michelle, and Wendy Whelan-Stewart. “Exploring Communities: Writing About Folklife.” Bridging the Gap: Researching and Writing. Eds. Delma McLeod-Porter and Shonell Bacon. Southlake: Fountainhead Press, 2006.
Academic Policies, Procedures, and Recommendations
- DOERS3. “Improving the Listing and Fulfillment of OER in US Campus Stores.” May 12, 2021.
- Mavs Open Press. A Guide to OER Creation with Mavs Open Press. March 2, 2021
- Reed, Michelle. “Accessibility Statement.” UTA Libraries. June 2018.
- Reed, Michelle. “Memorandum of Understanding for UTA CARES Grant Program.” UTA Libraries. June 2017.
- Becker, Jill, Michelle Reed, Stephanie Gamble, and Sofia Leung. “University 101 Information Literacy Unit Instructor Manual.” KU Libraries. March 2017.
- Gamble, Stephanie and Michelle Reed. “Managing Instruction and Research Requests.” KU Libraries. May 2016.
- Becker, Jill, Michelle Reed, and Stephanie Gamble. “First & Second Year English Information Literacy Program.” KU Libraries. August 2015.
- Open Educational Resources. Mavs Open Press. UTA Libraries. Curated 2018 - 2021.
- Publishing Reimagined Video Series. UTA Libraries. November 2021.
- Texas Toolkit for OER Course Markings (a living guide). UTA Libraries. May 2018.
- Textbook Hero Video Series. UTA Libraries. Fall 2017.
- Digital Storytelling Project on Library Anxiety. KU Libraries. September 2016.
- Image of Research. KU ScholarWorks’ Undergraduate Research at KU Collection. KU Libraries. Curated 2015 - 2016.
- Information Literacy Video Tutorials. KU Libraries. August 2016.
- Reed, Michelle. “Sometimes Canned Peas.” The Indiana Review 30.1 (2008): 53-61.
- Reed, Michelle. “The Hardest Science.” Fiction Weekly 18 (2008).
- Reed, Michelle. “A Single Woman’s Guide to Loving Your Thirties.” The Arkansas Review 38.2 (2007): 100-04.
- Reed, Michelle. “Patient 231.” The Pinch 27.2 (2007): 101-07.
- Reed, Michelle. “Dunes.” Iron Horse Literary Review 8.1 (2006): 43-51.
- “Publishing Practice Award: University of Texas at Arlington Libraries – Mavs Open Press/Growing Together: Implementing Accessibility Practices into OER Workflows.” LPC Blog. June 22, 2021. Co-authored with Brittany Griffiths, Alexandra Pirkle, and Katie Willeford; published by Nancy Adams.
- “UTA Faculty Present at Virtual Open Education Conferences.” UTA Libraries Blog. November 9, 2020.
- “Winguth Receives UTA CARES Adoption Stipend.” UTA Libraries Blog. July 22, 2020.
- “Jennings Receives UTA CARES Innovation Grant.” UTA Libraries Blog. April 8, 2020.
- “Open Education Week 2020.” UTA Libraries Blog. March 6, 2020.
- “Makhmalbaf Receives UTA CARES Innovation Grant.” UTA Libraries Blog. March 5, 2020.
- “Kindratt Receives UTA CARES Innovation Grant.” UTA Libraries Blog. March 4, 2020.
- “Magruder Receives UTA CARES Adoption Stipend.” UTA Libraries Blog. March 3, 2020.
- “Rodriguez Receives UTA CARES Innovation Grant.” UTA Libraries Blog. March 2, 2020.
- “Open Education Day at UTA.” IRIS: Intersections of Research, Innovation, and Sharing.
- February 17, 2019.
- “Inclusive Design Webcast Series: Presentation Recap.” IRIS. February 12, 2019.
- “College of Science Funds OER Development.” IRIS. September 12, 2018.
- “Upcoming ‘Sprint’ to Help Faculty Prepare Grant Applications.” IRIS. July 20, 2018.
- “Libraries Launch Authoring Platform, Publish First OER.” IRIS. June 22, 2018.
- “Open Education Week at UTA: Events for Teachers.” IRIS. February 14, 2018.
- “Open Education Grant Program Now Accepting Proposals.” IRIS. February 7, 2018.
- “Mythbusting 101: Reflecting on a Year of Open.” IRIS. November 30, 2017.
- “Textbook Hero Video Series: Episode Four.” IRIS. November 30, 2017.
- “Textbook Hero Video Series: Episode Three.” IRIS. October 20, 2017.
- “Textbook Hero Video Series: Episode Two.” IRIS. September 27, 2017.
- “Textbook Hero Video Series: Episode One.” IRIS. September 21, 2017.
- “Building Community: Reflections on Conference Going.” IRIS. March 30, 2017.
- “Pioneer of Open Education Presents at UTA.” IRIS. June 21, 2017.
- “Calling All Textbook Heroes.” IRIS. May 5, 2017.
- “An Open Letter to UTA Students.” IRIS. March 30, 2017.
- “UTA Libraries Join Institutions across the Globe in Celebrating Open Education Week.” IRIS. March 16, 2017.
Awards as Principal Investigator
- Undergraduates Speak: Our Rights and Access. American Library Association (ALA) Carroll Preston Baber Research Grant, $3,000. Purpose: To replicate the Undergraduates Speak pilot study at partner institutions, University of Massachusetts Amherst and the University of Texas Arlington. 2016.
- Digital Storytelling Project on Library Anxiety. KU Libraries Research Fund, $400. Purpose: To hire an independent contractor to complete illustrations for an educational resource to be integrated into 45 sections of the university’s first-year-experience course beginning in August 2016. 2016.
- Undergraduates Speak: Our Rights and Access. KU Libraries Research Fund, $300. Purpose: To compensate undergraduate students for participation in Undergraduates Speak research project. 2015.
- Undergraduates Speak: Our Rights and Access. David Shulenburger Fund to Improve Public Access. $500. Purpose: To compensate undergraduate students for participation in Undergraduates Speak research project. 2015.
- Co-investigator with Ada Emmet. Undergraduates Speak: Our Rights and Access. KU General Research Fund, $3,510 (allocation #2301091-099). Purpose: To hire two students to assist in a pilot study that investigates the experiences, perceptions, and attitudes of undergraduate students on copyright and access issues. The results of this research will be used to inform the production of an open educational resource that may be integrated into KU courses. 2015.
Awards as Project Support
- US Department of Education Open Textbook Pilot Program, Award #P116T200033 ($582,322): OERTransport: Enabling Transportation Planning Professional Advancement. Ivonne Audirac (PI). FY2020 (multi-year project).
- Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board OER Grant ($5,000): Implementation Grant. Kimberly Breuer (PI). 2020.
- Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board OER Grant ($5,000): Implementation Grant. Molly Wiant Cummins (PI). 2020.
- UTA Improving Student Success in Science Grant ($8,300): Development and Implementation of a Sustainable Open Educational Resources Curriculum for Biology 1441: Cell and Molecular Biology. Melissa Walsh (PI). 2018.
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) Award #5R44HL092682-03: Automated sleep detection and deprivation system for fruit flies (Phase II). David Johnson (PI). Period 2/8/11 – 1/31/14.
- NIH Award #1R43MH098595-01A1: Group housing: a robotic system to track and interact with individuals (Phase I). David Johnson (PI). Period 4/1/13 – 11/30/13.
- NIH Award #1R43NS077876-01A1: A tissue implantable microbiosensor (Phase I). Peter Petillo (PI). Period 8/1/12 – 7/31/13.
- NIH Award #1R43DA033701-01: A nicotine biosensor for addiction studies (Phase I). Peter Petillo (PI). Period 6/1/12 – 5/31/13.
- NIH Award #5R44NS050935-3: In-vivo, wireless, fast-scan cyclic voltammetry system (Phase II). David Johnson (PI). Period 9/1/08 – 6/30/11.
National Teaching Invitations
- “Supporting Open Textbook Adoptions.” Open Education Network workshop.
- Marshall University. Huntington, WV. January 31, 2020.
- University of Arkansas. Fayetteville, AR. September 24, 2019.
- University of Arkansas – Cossatot Community College. De Queen, AR. March 15, 2019.
- University of Nebraska, Lincoln. Lincoln, NE. February 21, 2019.
- University of Houston. Houston, TX. February 19, 2018.
- Texas Tech University. Lubbock, TX. February 2, 2018.
- “Two Paths Converge: Designing Educational Opportunities on the Intersections of Scholarly Communication and Information Literacy.” Association of College & Research Libraries licensed workshop.
- University of North Texas. Denton, TX. October 31, 2017.
- College and Research Division of the Pennsylvania Library Association. Hosted at Arcadia University. Glenside, PA. August 18, 2017.
- Texas State University. San Marcos, TX. July 14, 2017.
Invited Conference Presentations
- “Transforming Higher Education with Open Educational Resources.” Keynote presentation at Advancing Teaching and Learning with Technology Symposium. Sponsored by the Center for Teaching and Learning at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis. November 8, 2019.
- “Supporting OER Creation.” Breakout session at Open Education Texas: Policy, Practice, and Potential. Sponsored by Virtual College of Texas. Austin, TX. August 8, 2019.
- “Building an Educated Community with OER.” Panel presentation at Texas Library Association Conference. Sponsored by the Texas State Library and Archives Commission. Dallas, TX. April 6, 2018.
- “OER Mentors Guided Discussion Lightning Round.” Panel discussion at “E”ffordability Summit. Hosted at the University of Wisconsin-Stout. Menomonie, WI. March 26, 2018.
- “Open to All: Building Partnerships to Improve OER Accessibility.” Keynote presentation at “E”ffordability Summit. Hosted at the University of Wisconsin-Stout. Menomonie, WI. March 26, 2018.
- “Taking OER Mainstream.” Panel presentation at CAmpus Market EXpo (CAMEX). Dallas, TX. March 3, 2018.
- “Strategic Dialogue: A Course Material Mindshift: What is Expected of Leaders in Course Materials.” “Provocateur” presentation at CAMEX. Dallas, TX. March 2, 2018.
- “What We Talk About When We Talk About OER.” UTA Libraries Copyright Conference. Arlington, TX. October 28, 2016.
Peer-Reviewed Conference Presentations
- “Inclusion by Building Capacity: Advancing STEM and Multicultural Programs with OER.” Presentation Open Education Global (with Bonnie Boardman and Julian Rodriguez). Virtual November 18, 2020.
- “Publishing Reimagined: An Overview of OER Publishing Services at the University of Texas at Arlington.” Showcase presentation at Open Education Conference (with Danny Grigg and Jasmine Bridges). Virtual. November 2020.
- “How Library Publishers and Open Source Tools Can Reshape Academic Publishing.” Presentation at Library Publishing Forum (with Steel Wagstaff, Hugh McGuire, and Heather Staines). Vancouver, Canada. May 9, 2019.
- “Straw Men vs Good Points: Understanding the Arguments for Inclusive Access Models.” Presentation at Open Education Conference (with Bob Butterfield, Amy Hofer, and Billy Meinke). Niagara Falls, NY. October 12, 2018.
- “Access for Whom? OER and Disability Services.” Presentation at Open Education Conference (with Joshua Mitchell). Niagara Falls, NY. October 10, 2018.
- “Beyond Open Connections: Leveraging Information Literacy to Increase Impact of Open Education.” Presentation at Open Education Global (with Billy Meinke). Delft, Netherlands. April 25, 2018.
- “Intersections Big and Small: A Review of Three Projects that Merge Scholarly Communication and Information Literacy.” Presentation at Libraries’ Information Literacy Annual Conference (LILAC). Swansea, UK. April 11, 2017.
- “Exploring International Open Educational Practices.” Presentation at OER17 (with Beck Pitt, Bea de los Arcos, and Martin Weller). London, UK. April 5, 2017.
Peer-Reviewed Panel Presentations
- “How Instructional Design & OER Can Redefine What’s Possible for Library Publishing.” Panel presentation at Library Publishing Forum 2020 (with Hugh McGuire and Tim Clarke). Virtual. May 5, 2020.
- “Meta Lessons: What OER Advocates Can Learn from Collaborative OER Creation.” Panel presentation at Open Education Conference (with Sarah Hare, Jessica Kirschner, Jessica Dai, and Emily Frank). Phoenix, AZ. October 31, 2019.
- “Price Transparency: State Approaches to No Cost/Low Cost Course Catalog Designators.” Panel presentation at Open Education Conference (with Kevin Corcoran, Jeffrey Gallant, Amy Hofer, Boyoung Chae, Ann Fiddler, Michael Daly, and James Glapa-Grossklag). Phoenix, AZ. October 31, 2019.
- “Imagine a World Where All Content is Open: Implications for E-Resource Management and Discovery.” ALCTS Scholarly Communication Interest Group panel presentation at ALA Annual Conference 2019 (with Emma Molls, Sunshine Carter, Jeffrey Daniels, and Wendy Robertson). Washington, D.C. June 22, 2019.
- “Deconstructing the Syllabus: Re-envisioning Digital Learning with the Shift to Canvas.” Panel presentation at Region 11 Leveraging Canvas Conference (with Peggy Semingson, Kim Breuer, Cynthia Kilpatrick, LaShaunn Bold, and Brian Brown). White Settlement, TX. June 13, 2019.
- “Working at the Intersections of Information Literacy and Scholarly Communication.” Panel presentation at ACRL 2019 (with Merinda Kaye Hensley, Sarah Hare, and Amanda Makula). Cleveland, OH. April 11, 2019.
- “Complementary and Necessarily Bundled: Leveraging Partnerships to Bring Open Pedagogy to Scale.” Presentation at Open Education Conference (with Sarah Cohen, Amy Hofer, and Quill West). Anaheim, CA. October 11, 2017.
- "Transforming First-Year Information Literacy: Understanding Authority in a Sea of Information.” Panel presentation at ACRL 2017 (with Jill Becker, Stephanie Gamble, and Sofia Leung). Baltimore, MD. March 24, 2017.
Peer-Reviewed Poster Presentations
- “Librarians as OER Advocates and Leaders.” Poster presentation at ACRL 2019 (with Will Cross, Stephanie Quail, Elaine Thornton, Christopher Barnes, Devin Soper, and Talea Anderson). Cleveland, OH. April 12, 2019.
- "Students Take the Wheel: Exploring the Products and Processes of a Service-Learning Partnership with Undergraduates.” Poster presentation at ACRL 2017. Baltimore, MD. March 24, 2017.
- “Course Markings.” Scholarly Publishing and Academic Resources Coalition (SPARC) Libraries and OER Forum Community Call (with Jessica Kirschner, Rebel Cummings-Sauls, and Nathan Smith). Moderated by Mo Nyamweya. June 2, 2020.
- “Let’s Chat about Collaborative Open Publishing.” Open Publishing Fest (with Jessica Kirschner). May 28, 2020.
- “OER Course Marking in Texas.” Digital Higher Education Consortium of Texas webcast (with Scott Hochberg). Moderated by Ursula Pike. March 4, 2020.
- “Student and Faculty Surveys.” SPARC Libraries and OER Forum Community Call (with Amanda Langdon, Cailyn Nagle, and Jessica Norman). Moderated by Mo Nyamweya. December 3, 2019.
- “Faculty Engagement.” SPARC Libraries and OER Forum Community Call (with Jeremy Smith and Nicole Finkbeiner). Moderated by Camille Thomas. July 3, 2018.
- “Partnering to Build a Sustainable OER Program.” Belt and Road Open Education Learning Week Webinar Series hosted by Belt and Road International Community for Open Educational Resources and Smart Learning Institute, Beijing Normal University, China. June 26, 2018.
- “Collaborating Across Institutions to Advance Open Education.” SPARC Webcast (with Mark McBride, Amanda Coolidge, and Grace Atkins). Moderated by Katie Steen. March 7, 2018.
- “Accessibility and OER.” SPARC Libraries and OER Forum Community Call (with Jess Mitchell and Kaela Parks). Moderated by Katie Steen. November 7, 2017.
- “Robin’s Open Textbook: A Summary of ‘My Open Textbook: Pedagogy and Practice’ by Robin DeRosa.” Presented for Open Education Group’s OER Research Fellowship Program. September 12, 2017.
- “Accessibility in Open Textbooks.” Rebus Office Hours (with Josie Gray, Jess Mitchell, and Krista Greear). Moderated by Hugh McGuire and Karen Lauritsen. June 5, 2017.
- “Intersectional Opportunities in Open Educational Resources.” Sponsored presentation at LILAC. Swansea, UK. April 10, 2017.
- “Successful OER Adoption Models: Academic Libraries Leading the Way.” SPARC Webcast (with Anita Walz, Kathy Labadorf, and Olivia Reinauer). Moderated by Brady Yano. March 29, 2017.
- “Intersections Open House: What Are the Intersections of Scholarly Communication and Information Literacy, and What Can They Do for You?” Workshop showcase at ACRL 2017 (with Maryam Fakouri, Emma Molls, and John Watts). Baltimore, MD. March 24, 2017.
- “Crossing Paths: An Introduction to the Intersections” ACRL Intersections of Scholarly Communication and Information Literacy Webcast for Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals (CILIP) (with Emma Molls). March 3, 2017.
Local Presentations and Workshops
- “Open UTA: Ask Me Anything with Michelle Reed.” Open Education Community Discussion. March 3, 2021.
- “OER Creation 101.” Presentation for UTA faculty. February 20, 2021.
- Open Education Community Discussion. December 1, 2020.
- “Open Textbook Workshop.” Presentation for UTA faculty. October 1, 2020.
- “Open Educational Resources.” Presentation at UTA New Faculty Orientation. August 24, 2020.
- “Ethical Use of Open Content.” UTA CARES Grant Training Program. June 25, 2020.
- “OER Grant Interest Meeting: 2020 Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) OER Grant Program.” Presentations for UTA faculty. June 19, 2020; May 29, 2020; May 26, 2020; and May 20, 2020.
- “Open Educational Resources and Student Success.” Presentation for UTA Council of Department Chairs and Academic Directors. April 30, 2020.
- “Open Textbook Workshop.” Presentations for UTA faculty. March 3, 2020; January 28, 2020; January 22, 2020; January 17, 2020; November 18, 2019; and November 5, 2019.
- “Adopting, Modifying, and Creating Open Educational Resources at UTA.” Open Education Week panel presentation sponsored by UTA Libraries (moderator, with Habib Ahmari, Bonnie Boardman, Kimberly Breuer, and Matt Crosslin). October 23, 2019.
- “Open Educational Resources.” Presentation at UTA New Faculty Orientation. August 16, 2019.
- UTA CARES Grantee Training sponsored by UTA Libraries. May 15, 2019.
- OER presentation at UTA Strategic Plan Symposium. March 20, 2019.
- “Introduction to OER.” Open Education Day at UTA co-sponsored by UTA Libraries and the Center for Research on Teaching and Learning Excellence. March 7, 2019.
- OER presentation for UTA Professional Learning Community. November 9, 2018.
- “Pressbooks and OER: Ensuring Accessibility.” Workshop for UTA faculty sponsored by UTA Libraries. October 29, 2018.
- “Pressbooks and OER: Options for Interactivity.” Workshop for UTA faculty sponsored by UTA Libraries. October 23, 2018.
- “Paywall the Movie.” Open Access Week film screening and discussion sponsored by UTA Libraries. Moderator. October 23, 2018.
- “Getting Started with Pressbooks for OER.” Workshop for UTA faculty sponsored by UTA Libraries. October 22, 2018.
- “Introduction to Open Educational Resources (OER).” Open Access Week workshop sponsored by UTA Libraries. October 19, 2018.
- “Open Educational Resources.” Presentation at UTA New Faculty Orientation. August 20, 2018.
- UTA CARES Grantee Training sponsored by UTA Libraries. May 15, 2018.
- OER presentation at UTA College of Business Faculty Meeting. May 4, 2018.
- OER presentation at UTA Department of Linguistics and TESOL faculty meeting. February 6, 2018.
- OER presentation at UTA Department of Biology faculty meeting. November 15, 2017.
- OER presentation at UTA College of Business Department Chair meeting. October 25, 2017.
- “Open Access to Educational Resources: A Primer.” Open Access Week workshop sponsored by the UTA Office of Graduate Studies. October 24, 2017.
- “Opening Social Work Education: An Introduction to Open Educational Practices.” Presentation at UTA School of Social Work faculty retreat. September 8, 2017.
- “Opening English Education: An Introduction to Open Educational Practices.” Presentation for UTA Department of English. April 26, 2017.
- “From Open Data to Open Pedagogy: An Introduction to Integrating Open Practices into the Classroom.” Open Education Week workshop (with Peace Ossom-Williamson). March 30, 2017.
- KU Libraries First-Year Seminar Faculty Workshops (with Jill Becker). August 8 & 16, 2016.
- “Flipped Library Instruction.” KU Libraries professional development workshop (with Jill Becker). August 14, 2015.
- KU Libraries First-Year Seminar Faculty Workshops (with Jill Becker). August 10-11, 2015.
- KU Libraries Breakout Session. Center for Teaching Excellence, Best Practices Institute (with Jill Becker). May 20, 2015.
- “Scholarly Communication at KU: What You Need to Know.” KU Libraries professional development workshop (with Julie Petr, Carmen Orth-Alfie, and Lyn Wolz). May 1, 2015.
National and International Service
- Association of College & Research Libraries (ACRL) New Roles and Changing Landscapes Committee. Member. July 2021 - present.
- ACRL OER & Affordability Roadshow. Curriculum designer and presenter. September 2019 – present.
- Interim coordinator, September 2019 - December 2020.
- Driving OER Sustainability for Student Success (DOERS3) Collaborative. Member. November 2019 – March 2021.
- Pressbooks Customer Advisory Board. Member. October 2019 – March 2021.
- Rebus Community. Marking Open and Affordable Courses Project Manager/Beta Tester. May 2018 – June 2020.
- Open Education Network (formerly Open Textbook Network). Presenter. May 2017 – May 2020.
- ACRL Research and the Scholarly Environment Committee (ReSEC). Member. June 2017 – June 2019.
- ACRL Intersections of Scholarly Communication and Information Literacy Roadshow. Presenter. August 2016 – July 2018.
- Rebus Community. Accessibility in Open Textbooks Working Group. Member. January – December 2017.
- UT System Affordable Learning Accelerator Task Force. Member. September 2019 – March 2021.
- Texas OER Repository Working Group. Facilitated by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB). Summer 2020.
- OER Feasibility Study Stakeholder Meeting. Hosted by THECB. May 2, 2018.
Library and University Service
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
- Strategic Communications and Marketing Committee. Member. Present.
- Search Committee for Digital Humanities Librarian. Member. Present.
- Central Public Services Division Advisory. Member. March 2021 - present.
- Main/Undergraduate Library Integration Project - Library Staffing Working Group. Member. June 2021 - May 2022.
University of Texas at Arlington
- Fall Academic & Course Planning Task Force. Logistics and Training Subcommittee Member. May 2020 – August 2020.
- UTA Libraries’ Fall Planning Task Force. Staff Spaces Member. May - August 2020.
- Search Committee for OER Coordinator. Committee chair. February – July 2020.
- UTA Coalition for Affordable Resources in Education for Students. Lead. August 2017 – March 2021.
- Research and Writing Project Team. Subgroup leader. July 2017 – August 2019.
- Libraries Staff Advisory Council. Member. March 2017 – January 2019.
- Search Committee for Library Publishing Specialist. Member. June – October 2018.
- UTA Libraries Book Talks: Paying the Price. Discussion leader. January – April 2017.
- Faculty Creative Works Project Team. Editor. September 2016 – April 2017.
- Faculty Scoring Session for Signature Assignments. December 8, 2016.
- Image of Research Project Team. Lead. February 2015 – September 2016.
- Scholarly Communication Cross-Functional Initiative (CFI). Member. September 2014 – September 2016.
- Information Literacy Integration CFI. Member. August 2014 – September 2016.
- University 101 Working Group. Member. January 2016 – September 2016.
- Diversity, Equity & Social Justice CFI. Project team member. January 2016 – September 2016.
- Undergraduate Research Symposium. Sponsored by KU Center for Undergraduate Research. Session presider. April 23, 2016.
- First- and Second-Year English Information Literacy Program Team. Member. August 2014 – December 2015.
- Information Technology Faculty Fellow Discussion Group. Member. September 2015 – December 2015.
- Tablet Learning Community. Member. September 2014 – August 2015.
- Search Committee for Reference Specialist. Member. January 2015.
- Search Committee for Program Assistant for the Center for Undergrad Initiatives & Engagement. Member. January 2015.
Instructor of Record for University Courses
2010: Washburn University, Topeka, KS
- Freshman Composition
- Information Literacy, Technology, and the College Experience
2009: Labette Community College, Parsons, KS
2003 – 2007: McNeese State University, Lake Charles, LA
- Developmental English
- English Composition I
- English Composition II
2015 & 2016: University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS
- Research Methods and Information Literacy
2010: Washburn University, Topeka, KS
- Library Research Strategies
Instructor for University Programs
- Creative Writing. Governor’s Program for Gifted Children (Graduate Program), Lake Charles, LA. 2006.
- PASS English. McNeese State University Summer Bridge/Program for Access and Student Success, Lake Charles, LA. 2006.
- So You Want to Be a Writer? McNeese State University Kids College, Lake Charles, LA. 2006.
- Writing for Fun. McNeese State University Kids College, Lake Charles, LA. 2006.
- Composition. Governor’s Program for Gifted Children, Lake Charles, LA. 2005.
- So You Want to Be a Writer? McNeese State University Kids College, Lake Charles, LA. 2005.
- Writing for Fun. McNeese State University Kids College, Lake Charles, LA. 2005.
- Introduction to Fiction Writing. McNeese State University Leisure Learning, Lake Charles, LA. 2005.
Mentoring and Advising
- SPARC Open Education Leadership Program. Mentor. December 2020 - May 2021.
- UTA Disability Studies Minor Program. Internship supervisor. August - December 2019.
- SPARC Open Education Leadership Program. Peer advisor. August 2017 – May 2018.
- UTA CARES Student Project Team. Advisor. August 2017 – May 2018.
- UTA Disability Studies Minor Program. Internship supervisor. January – May 2017.
- KU Film and Media Studies Digital Storytelling Course. Community partner. Spring 2016.
- KU Film and Media Studies Digital Storytelling Course. Community partner. Spring 2015.
Awards, Honors, & Certifications
- Gallup-Trained Strengths Coach, 2022
- Library Publishing Coalition Publishing Practice Award in Accessibility, 2021
- UTA Libraries’ Dean’s Research Award, 2018
- ACRL Value of Academic Libraries Travel Scholarship, 2018
- SPARC Open Education Leadership Program (peer advisor), 2017-18
- OER Research Fellowship, 2017-18
- ACRL Early Career Librarian Scholarship, 2017
- ACRL ReSEC Sponsored Scholarship to OpenCon, 2016
- KU Professional Development Fund for Unclassified Staff, 2015
- Washburn University Faculty Development Grant, 2010
- Society for Scholarly Publishing Travel Grant, 2009
- The Pinch Invited Reading, Memphis, TN, 2007
- Pushcart Prize Nomination. “A Single Woman’s Guide to Loving Your Thirties.” 2007
- Doré Teaching Award, McNeese State University, 2005
- Doré Writing Award, McNeese State University, 2004
About My Work
- Piwowarczyk, Nicole. “Michelle Reed Receives 2021 Publishing Practice Award in Accessibility.” Recognizing Excellence. July 13, 2021.
- Kelly, Rhea. “6 Problems with OER Access in Campus Bookstores.” Campus Technology. June 24, 2021.
- Adams, Nancy. “Announcing the 2021 Publishing Practice Award Recipients.” LPC Blog. June 22, 2021.
- Anderson, Talea. Accessibility Case Studies for Scholarly Communication Librarians and Practitioners. April 15, 2021.
- Booth, Herb. “UTA Team Creating New Textbooks for Transportation Certificate.” UTA News. March 4, 2021.
- “UTA Libraries Partners with XanEdu to Provide Print Open Educational Resources.” Library News. March 3, 2021.
- “UTA Faculty Lead $500,000+ Department of Education Transportation Planning OER Project.” Library News. January 26, 2021.
- Adams, Caralee. “Decade of OER Push in Texas Is Paying Off.” SPARC News. December 21, 2020.
- “UTA Libraries Announces Open Publication of The Little Orange Book.” Library News. November 4, 2020.
- Rimal, Shambhavi. “Open Educational Resources Improve Accessibility, Provide Free Learning Materials to Students.” The Shorthorn. October 7, 2020.
- Adams, Caralee. “OER Course Marking Book Models Best Practices.” SPARC News. August 10, 2020.
- Pirkle, Alexandra. “Transforming the Student Experience: UTA to Invest $500,000 for Open Educational Resources.” October 1, 2019.
- Langille, Donna. “Making Marking.” Rebus Community Reports: Insights from OER Project Leads. September 27, 2019.
- Ollis, Chase. “ACRL Selects New Curriculum Designers/Presenters for OER & Affordability RoadShow.” September 19, 2019.
- University of Arkansas Cossatot. “UA Cossatot Welcomes OTN Presenters.” March 27, 2019.
- McGrath, Taylor. Library is the new publisher: Establishing workflows for library-based open educational resource production programs in post-secondary institutions across Canada and the United States. Thesis submitted to the Department of Communication, Art & Technology: Publishing Program at Simon Fraser University. December 13, 2018.
- Mays, Elizabeth. “Creating Online Learning Experiences is New Resource for MOOC Creators, Instructional Designers.” PressbooksEDU News. August 30, 2018.
- Mays, Elizabeth. “University of Texas at Arlington Kicks off OER Program with Eight Books in Development.” PressbooksEDU News. August 30, 2018.
- Gosa, Katie. “OER.” TEDxUTA. April 11, 2018.
- Oxner, Reese. “UTA Libraries Promotes Free Textbooks.” The Shorthorn. March 28, 2018.
- Oxner, Reese. “UTA CARES Grant Program Extends Deadline to Friday.” The Shorthorn. March 20, 2018.
- Goek, Sara. “ACRL announces Value of Academic Libraries Travel Scholarship recipients.” ACRL Insider. January 30, 2018.
- Young, Jeffrey. “As Campuses Move to Embrace OER, College Libraries Become Key Players.” EdSurge. January 4, 2018.
- Allen, Nicole. “SPARC Launches Pilot of First-of-Its-Kind Professional Development Program for Open Education Librarians.” SPARC News. October 5, 2017.
- Ashok, Apurva. “Office Hours Recap & Video: Accessibility in Open Textbooks.” Rebus Community Blog. June 9, 2017.
- Adams, Caralee. “Successful OER Adoption Models: Academic Libraries Leading the Way.” SPARC News. April 14, 2017.
- Burnett, Emma. “Crossing Paths: An Introduction to the Intersections (Webcast).” CILIP Information Literacy Group. February 27, 2017.
- Burnett, Emma. “ACRL Intersections of Scholarly Communication and Information Literacy Webcast Series.” CILIP Information Literacy Group. February 3, 2017.
- Skinner, Sophie. “Member of the Week: Michelle Reed.” ACRL Insider. November 7, 2016.
- Malenfant, Kara. “ACRL Announces Recipients of Sponsored Scholarships to OpenCon.” ACRL Insider. October 14, 2016.
- Conahan, Margot. “ACRL Announces New Presenters for Intersections Workshop.” ACRL Insider. August 5, 2016.
- Sexton, Samantha. “Award-winning undergraduate students present at second annual Image of Research competition.” The University Daily Kansan. March 23, 2016.
- Henke, Kelsey. “Michelle Reed wins the 2016 Carroll Preston Baber Research Grant.” ALA News. March 15, 2016.
Reed CV (Updated September 2022)