ASSISTANT BREWER PART TIME
Montclair Brewery is a beer production brewery and tap room located in Montclair, New Jersey. We are all about excellent beer, being a great place to work, and being an active part of our community. We’re looking for a passionate brewer to help us become the craft beer and tap room leader in the NY/NJ metro area, and positively impact the community along the way. If you have a passion for craft beer and learning, are super organized, friendly, and love to dig in and get your hands dirty while being a brand advocate then the Montclair Brewery Assistant Brewer role may be perfect for you!
The Assistant Brewer will assist the Head Brewer with brewing, packaging, cleaning and maintenance duties at the brewery and otherwise provide support to the brewhouse. Duties will include, but not limited to, assisting with brewing and packaging beer, running tests on products in progress, following cleaning and maintenance schedules and procedures, packaging, following inventory management practices, and working with other members of the team to ensure all beer that leaves the facility is of the highest quality and that the brewery is kept clean, functional, and up to Montclair Brewery’s standards at all times.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities: (Additional duties may be assigned)
- Brew and package beer according to brew schedule and per the Head Brewer
- Assist with milling, mashing, and lautering, wort boiling, cooling and transferring to fermenters, racking beer from fermenters to kegs, and ensuring all brewing processes are recorded properly.
- Keep Brewing Facility clean and functional at all times
- Follow Cleaning and Maintenance Schedules, and perform all required cleanings to the appropriate standard including tanks, Brewhouse, kegs and other packaging, packaging line and other equipment as directed.
- Follow inventory procedures including counts for all raw materials, chemicals, beer, cooperage, small parts, packaging, supplies etc. and report deficiencies
- Work with Head Brewer to keep an improvement log on all issues as they develop.
- Occasionally represent Montclair Brewery at various events, festivals and promotions.
- Follow all Montclair Brewery policies and procedures and follow current developments in local, state, and federal laws applicable to the service of alcohol, safe food handling, health standards etc.
- Label all kegs and other package products in accordance with federal and state laws
- Complete all necessary paperwork and data entry into brew system accurately and on time
- Ability to work full days on Mondays and Tuesdays and occasional nights
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED required. Home-brewing experience or a formal brewing education from an accredited brewing program preferred.
- Advanced study in a related technical field (Science or Engineering) preferred.
- Knowledge of beer offerings (flavors, ingredients, etc.)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to follow detailed instructions and procedures
- Strong communication skills to interact with customers, vendors, and coworkers in a professional manner.
- Possess the ability to multi-task and manage stressful circumstances associated with a fast paced and evolving work environment.
- Knowledge of supplies, equipment, and/or services ordering and inventory control.
- Ability to work both independently as well as in a team environment.
- Knowledge of organizational structure, workflow, and operating procedures.
- Good understanding of quality assurance / quality control and problem-solving skills as well as to troubleshoot any beer related issues.
Equipment and Machines Used:
This position requires the regular use of keg washer, manual forklift, centrifugal pumps, electrical heating equipment, digital and analog scales, grain mill, hydrometer, refractometer, various brewing and lab equipment that is subject to change over time and handling pressurized gases.
Physical and Mental Requirements:
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time, walk, talk, hear, use hands to finger, grasp, handle or feel, push, pull, reach, crouch, kneel, crawl or bend, and perform repetitive motions of the hands and/or wrists.
- Ability to frequently lift and/or move up to 55 pounds, and be able to move kegs which weigh close to 165 pounds.
- High mental and visual attention required for planning difficult work methods and sequences to obtain size, shape, or physical qualities of product. AND/OR Extremely close visual attention such as making delicate adjustments to control high speed operations to exercise very precise muscular control.
While performing the duties of this position, the worker is exposed to inside environmental conditions, extreme heat, potential for physical injury, exposure to hot fluids, pressurized vessels and transfer lines, strong odors, chemicals, and moving machinery. The noise level in the work environment is moderate to loud most of the time.
At MB, we are committed to an inclusive workplace and encourage diverse applicants to apply. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, gender or sexual orientation.
If you believe you meet the qualifications of this role and would like to work at Montclair Brewery, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.