Venture Academy Parent & Student Chromebook Handbook
The following policies refer to the use of a Chromebook Provided by Zeeland Public Schools. The document is in addition to the guidelines outlined in the Zeeland Public Schools current “Technology Acceptable Use Policy”.
Distribution of Chromebooks
- Each Venture student will receive a Chromebook formatted by Zeeland Public Schools for use while in Venture Academy. Students are responsible for the Chromebook and charger they are assigned. Serial numbers of the devices will be monitored by Venture Academy and the District Technology Office.
- Students will be allowed to take home their Chromebook with parent and Venture Academy staff permission. A parent/guardian may choose not to have their child participate in the Chromebook take-home program. Students who do not participate in the Chromebook take-home program will leave their device in the locked charging station.
- Venture staff reserves the right to take away the privilege of a student taking a Chromebook home.
- Chromebooks will be distributed at the beginning of the school year and collected at the end of the school year. Chromebooks not turned in by the last day of school will be treated as lost or stolen, which may include additional fees and possible legal action. We do not have a Summer Use Program without written permission of the Director of Venture and the Director of Technology.
- Students who leave Zeeland Schools during the school year must return their Chromebook, along with any other accessories when they leave the district. Failure to return a Chromebook in a timely fashion may result in legal action.
Student Use of the Chromebook –
Failure to follow expectations and procedures listed will result in disciplinary action.
- The Chromebook is the property of Zeeland Public Schools and, as a result, may be seized and reviewed at any time. The student should have NO expectation of privacy of materials found on a Chromebook or a school supplied/supported email service.
- The Chromebook comes equipped with photo and video capabilities. As with all recording devices, students must ask permission before recording an individual or group. Students must obtain school permission to publish a photograph or video of any school related activity.
- Students are responsible for bringing their Chromebook to school every day. Failure to bring a charged Chromebook will result consequences ranging from a warning to loss of take home privilege. Students may call a parent to bring in the Chromebook or to get permission to go home to get the device. Students leaving to get the device will be unexcused for the time missed and subject to attendance policies of the Venture Academy Handbook.
- The Chromebook is designed for daily use; therefore, each Chromebook must be charged and ready for use each school day.
- The Chromebook affords limited electronic storage space. Use of Google Drive is recommended for all electronic storage.
- The district issued Chromebook is designed as a tool for learning; misuse of the Chromebook may result in disciplinary action.
- All students should recognize and guard their personal and private information. While on the Internet, students shall not reveal personal information, including a home address or phone number, or the address or phone numbers of other students.
- Modifying or removing the settings/profiles of the district issued Chromebook or deleting district issued software applications will result in student discipline and/or the need for reformatting at a cost to the student.
- Email is to be used solely for educational purposes.
- Zeeland Public Schools makes no guarantee, written or implied, that materials on the Chromebook, including student work, will be safe from deletion or corruption, accidental or otherwise.
Care and Maintenance of the Chromebook
- The Chromebook can be cleaned with a soft, dry, lint-free cloth. Do not use window cleaners, household cleaners, aerosol sprays, solvents, alcohol, ammonia, or abrasives to clean the Chromebook. Use of unapproved cleaners may result in damage to your Chromebook that you will be responsible for.
- Never expose a Chromebook to long term extremes in temperature or direct sunlight. An automobile is not a good place to store a Chromebook.
- While the Chromebook is scratch resistant, the Chromebook will scratch. Avoid using any sharp object(s) on the Chromebook.
- Treat the Chromebook with respect. Never throw, slide, roll, spin, twirl it on a pencil, etc. Just use common sense. If it wasn’t intended to be used in the way you are using it, it’s forbidden.
- Never carry your Chromebook by the screen.
- Your Chromebook comes with ports for charging and other accessories. Care must be exercised when plugging and unplugging accessories. You must use the provided charging cord and brick, other unapproved chargers may damage the Chromebook. School-issued Chromebook accessories such as charging cables and power bricks are the responsibility of the student. These are not covered by insurance.
- Each Chromebook has a unique identification number and at no time should the numbers or labels be modified or removed.
- Do not lend your Chromebook to another person. Each Chromebook is assigned to an individual and the responsibility for the care of the Chromebook rests solely with that individual. If someone takes and damages your Chromebook, you are responsible to notify your school administrators immediately. Damage responsibility always rests on the person issued the Chromebook unless determined otherwise by the school Administration or the Technology Department.
- Exercise care when handling the Chromebook. Never place a Chromebook in a book bag if it is filled with heavy books, food, liquids, or sharp objects. Be sure nothing is pressing on the screen while in a book bag.
- Chromebooks should be charged at home. It is best practice to let the Chromebook battery fully discharge once a month.
- The Chromebook itself must remain free of stickers, writing, painting, or any other forms of adornment. Any damage to the Chromebook will be the student’s responsibility.
- All damages are the financial responsibility of the student/parent. Repair costs or replacement will be determined by the Technology Office. Failure to pay damages will result in diploma being withheld and possible legal action until full payment is made.
- In the event your Chromebook is damaged, you must immediately report it to the lab monitor. Chromebook will be sent to the Technology Office. While your Chromebook is being repaired, you will be issued a loaner Chromebook. You will now be responsible for any damages to the loaner Chromebook. It is not covered by your insurance.
- Students intentionally damaging a Chromebook will not be issued a loaner. Student will remain at home until Chromebook is repaired or replaced.
- It is not acceptable to wait until the end of the school year for repairs. Repairs must be done as soon as possible. The Venture staff reserves the right to send a student’s Chromebook into Technology to be serviced if it is damaged or in need of repairs.
- If another student damages your Chromebook you must notify the Venture Director immediately.
**Payment will be due at the time of repair pickup. Devices will not be returned unless the bill is paid.
Cost Of Chromebook Replacement
- Chromebook - $170.00
2. Charger - $60.00
- Optional insurance may be purchased for $45.00 per year/per student to cover damage to the school provided Chromebooks.
- There are no deductibles with this policy and it covers an unlimited amount of breaks.
3. Insurance does not cover theft or loss of the Chromebook or accessories.
Insurance may be purchased through the District Technology Office at Zeeland West.
Lost or Stolen
- In the event that a district issued Chromebook is lost/stolen the student and parent/guardian should immediately notify the Venture Director.
- The filing of a police report by the parent/guardian may be required at that time.
- In the event of theft/loss, it is the parent/guardian responsibility to cover the costs to repair/replace the Chromebook.