Children’s Kiva Montessori School
Elementary/Middle School - Board of Directors Special Meetings
11.08.18 at 5:00 pm - Children’s House, 1204 E Empire
BOD Approved on 11.26.18
- Call to Order - Special Meeting
- Kelli called the meeting to order at 5:05 pm.
- Roll Call: Kelli Jackson, President; Stacey Weyand, Vice President (via phone); Tamia Hurst, Secretary; Cayce Hamerschlag, Treasurer; Holley Christensen, Member; Melissa Gould, Member; Jordan Meyers, Member
Absent from BOD: None
Staff: Alexia Hudson-McGrath, TIHOS; Urulu Yazzie, FD
Community Members: Angie Seeley, Ondrea Whited, Adam Barnhurst, Rebecca Gardner, Carter Pape
- Vision – Children’s Kiva Montessori School will provide a vibrant and engaging learning environment based on the teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori that supports all students’ academic excellence and ability to become empowered, creative, lifelong learners responsible for themselves, their community, and their environment.
Mission – Children’s Kiva Montessori School uses authentic Montessori methods, Community-Based educational approaches, and integrated academics (STEAM) to support student academic success, responsibility, and independence.
- Motion to Adopt Agenda: Melissa moved to approve the agenda as presented. Motion seconded. No discussion. All in favor of the motion. Motion carried.
- Audit - Kelli / Urulu
- Tamia asked for clarification on Note 9, page 45 regarding “TBD” - Kelli said that the auditor would fill in the date once the audit is approved.
- Tamia expressed concern on Note 10, page 45 regarding the use of Tabor funds. She asked for clarification as to why these funds were used and who approved the action. Urulu stated that the funds were used in the case of an “emergency” and approved during a Finance Committee Meeting, perhaps in June. Tamia again expressed concern regarding the approval of the audit if that meant approving the use of Tabor funds. The board agreed that we were not approving the use of Tabor funds, but rather the report of them being used.
- Stacey moved to approve the 2018 Audited Financial Statements -0630CKCMS - DRAFT V3. Motion seconded. Discussion: Cayce mentioned the need for further investigation into the use of Tabor funds. Melissa, inquired if footnotes could be added to the presentation of the audit at a future time. No further discussion. Kelli called for a vote. All in favor of the motion. Motion carried.
- Kelli: inform the auditor that the audit has been approved and submit final audit to Re1.
- New Business
- No new business.
- Kelli opened the meeting up for a Community Member Forum: Community members may use this time to speak to the board; three minute time cap please. For discussion(s) that may take more time please email the board at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Rebecca Gardner - as a parent, she is concerned about our current state and would like to know when the kids will be returning to school. How will the needs of students with IEPs be met? She would like answers.
- Ondrea Whited - shared with the board a list of questions: What is the location, size, and exposure of the asbestos? Why was the asbestos test done in the first place? If there was concern, why was the school not evacuated? Were the classrooms and people affected? Where the materials contaminated? Was the abatement not complete at the start of the construction? What are all the phases as mentioned by the article in the newspaper? Is the school prepared for legal suits? How will the school keep up the current level of students and continue to grow? Ondrea then offered suggestions for alternative facilities: Lifeway Baptist Church.
- Angie seeley - expressed that her family supports the Kiva 100 percent and hopes these hurdles can be resolved quickly. She has the same concerns and questions that were previously shared. Although she appreciated the letter, she felt that ensuring everyone that all safety measures were in place was missing from the letter. Angie stated that the community deserves better than an email and a ‘we will listen but not respond’ forum. She expressed disappointment for what The Journal has printed and feels that they have really missed a great opportunity to support this community.
- Next Meeting
- Tuesday, November 13, 2018 at 6:30 pm at Children’s House
- Adjournment - Tamia moved to adjourn the meeting, unanimously approved. Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 5:25 pm.
Prepared by Tamia Hurst, BOD Secretary