Economics / Business Studies / Accounting Teacher
This is an instructional role for a dedicated teaching professional whose main teaching assignment will be 10th and/or 11th standard IGCSE and A-Level Economics, Business Studies, and Accounting. We are currently exploring both part-time and full-time teaching options.
What is Avasara Academy?
Avasara Academy is a nonprofit institution located in Lavale Valley, just outside Pune, India. We are an all girls school with a mission to empower girls of promise to lead lives of distinction and impact. Avasara Academy currently enrolls 275 students in standards 6-11 and will eventually have an enrollment of 500 students in standards 6-12.
Students are selected to attend the Academy based on merit alone. They engage in our specialized curriculum that combines the academic excellence of the Cambridge curriculum with a focus on leadership, entrepreneurship, and Indian studies. Students participate in hands-on leadership and real-world experiences culminating in either an entrepreneurial business or social initiative that serves as a platform for their leadership development. Avasara will continue to nurture these leaders throughout their lives by connecting them to powerful networks of people and capital that can facilitate large-scale change. Avasara Academy, therefore, is not just a school but a life-long network that will cultivate innovative, entrepreneurial leaders.
- Develop a rigorous, engaging and relevant curriculum for Economics, Business, and/or Accounting at Avasara, based on the IGCSE, AS and A level examinations by Cambridge International Education.
- Document curricula, lesson plans and assessments accurately and clearly.
- Contribute to setting departmental goals and enhancing coordination across the curriculum.
- Create and maintain a safe and positive learning environment for all students.
- Model excellent instruction.
- Maintain a focus on high student achievement.
- Monitor student progress to ensure students’ learning and understanding.
- Communicate with students, teachers and parents about students’ progress.
- Contribute to a healthy school culture that supports students' academic, co-curricular, cultural and socio/emotional needs.
- Collaborate with and support colleagues within your department and across the school.
- Promote a vibrant extracurricular environment.
- Serve as an Advisor in our effective advisory program.
- Ensure that disciplinary guidelines are fairly and consistently applied.
- Provide for transparent, constructive and ongoing evaluation of self and peers.
- Contribute to school-wide goals and objectives.
- Serve and lead committees as required.
- Engage with and value all staff members, students, families, visitors and supporters.
Profile of the Ideal Candidate
- You have experience teaching Economics, Business Studies, and/or Accounting or a have a strong understanding of these subjects.
- You are fluent in English.
- You love children and enjoy helping them explore their ideas about the world.
- You have excellent interpersonal skills.
- You think creatively to identify solutions to problems.
- You are extremely driven and flexible with your working hours.
- You are a highly reflective practitioner.
- You embody the very type of leader the Academy aspires to create—you are an agent of positive change, and live up to our values of Integrity, Reflection, Empathy, Excellence, Interdependence, Fortitude, and Optimism.
- You believe wholeheartedly in the mission and vision of Avasara Academy.
- M.A./M.Ed. degree or equivalent preferred.
- English language fluency is required.
- Experience with a range of teaching practices.
- Experience teaching in a student-centered classroom environment.
- Experience with IGCSE / A-Levels.
- Experience of participating in teams comprised of individuals from diverse ethnic, cultural, and national backgrounds.
- Experience with exceptional independent or international school programs preferred.
- Experience using data to drive instruction.
- Experience with standards-based instruction and grading preferred.
Location: Pune, India
Start Date: May 2019
To Apply: Email email@example.com with a CV or resume and cover letter detailing your experience and interest in the position.