The 40 things we will do to promote staff Well Being in 2020
Teaching and Learning
- We don’t grade individual lessons.
- We trust teachers to decide the best approaches for their class. We don’t advocate a ‘preferred style’.
- No nonsense differentiation. We teach to the top and just provide additional support for those that need it.
- No short term written planning is required. The only planning we ask for is a half term MTP and we do not expect staff to provide additional planning for any school approved scheme
- Schemes of work are provided but staff may innovative and adapt these as they see fit in order to maintain quality
- We will never justify a teaching and learning decision because ‘OFSTED expect it’.
- High quality ICT – we won’t penny pinch on laptops for teachers. Staff will have access to ICT at school e.g to access payslips
- Educational visits and resources are arranged by the office so teachers can get on with teaching
- We don’t use words like ‘disadvantaged’ or ‘barrier or ‘lower ability’. We use words like ‘ambition’ and ‘challenge’.
- SLT are visible and support staff at lunchtimes.
- A climate of positive praise. Staff receive regular encouragement including written acknowledgements from governors
- Attendance is valued. 100% letters are sent to both pupils and staff at the end of each term.
- Peer on Peer praise- ‘employee of the term’, random act of kindness once a term. Pupils have the chance to nominate adults at each special mentions assembly.
- Wherever possible we support each other to allow staff to go to their child’s nativities, school performances etc
- We actively look for opportunities for home working e.g PPA at home, SLT time off site.
- The door is always open to the SLT. No signs on the door! Your problem is our problem.
- We don’t produce lengthy written reports for parents.
- We do not do lengthy formative assessments only simple summative judgements each term.
- We do not expect teachers to mark at home or produce lengthy written marking responses.
- The admin team are given dedicated time to review and take stock of their work every week
- Staff meetings are strictly to 90 minutes and rarely more than once a fortnight
- We advocate a class room up model- SLT can learn just as much from an NQT as the reverse.
- Only the SLT are expected to lead assemblies
- IRIS connect is used only as a professional development tool. It will never be used to judge the quality of teaching
- There is an open opportunity for ALL staff to attend any training/CPD meetings
- Staff are encouraged to read widely. School funds at least one piece of professional reading a year.
- The calendar for the following week will always be displayed in the staff room by 3:15PM on Friday
- Staff are given time to put new things into action
- If something new is implemented, something old is taken away
- We never expect an email response after 5pm or at the weekend
- Breakfast club is free to ALL staff.
- Regular social events.
- We encourage staff to access counselling services if required.
- Staff are encouraged to lead healthy lifestyles outside of school and pursue sports and hobbies
- In school health events (fitness, free flu jabs)
- We except all teachers to have left the building by 4:15pm AT THE LATEST ON A FRIDAY
- The HT is expected to champion staff and pupil wellbeing- it is NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO DELEGATE THIS. EVER!
- Free tea and coffee for all staff
- Christmas dinner will be paid for by school
- Termly newsletter of local offers/memberships is produced.
Thank you to Barr Beacon School who inspired us to do this body of work.