Hammonton Green Committee Minutes - August
Monthly Meeting - Hammonton Town Hall
Green Committee Members:
X Jeanette DePiero X Mica McCullough X Amy Menzel X Linda Esposito
X Kerri Patton X Sara Verrillo __Courtney Volpe
Friends of the Green Committee & Guests: Dan Bachalis, Eric Schmehl, Victoria Falciani,
- Events and Projects:
National Night Out
- Suggested EOFLS & Garden Talk crossover about Monarch butterflies in August. Mica will show & tell monarchs she is raising this summer, & Flight of the Butterflies documentary on Netflix (~40-minute length).
- Linda E. will supply new contact for Kramer Hall
- Proposed date of August 8th
ANJEC Pollinator Grant
- $1,500 for invasive removal & pollinator garden at Lake Park was granted!
- Invasive species removal dates set for Sat. June 23 and Sat. June 30 from 9:00-12:00 pm. Gloves provided, wear sturdy shoes & bring drinking water.
- Finished grant will include 2 pollinator areas and 2 interpretive stations
- Mica will create Facebook events, encourage HS volunteer participation.
Plastic Bag Ban/Fee
- Drafted ordinance proposes a plastic bag ban & $0.10 on paper bags. Fee will belong to the store. A 9-month preparation period is built in.
- Agreement that now is a good time to do bag ban as it’s a popular topic
- Dan will send Bag Ban electronic draft to GC, EC/ Brooke, Quality of Life committee.
- Short-term joint subcommittee will conduct an education campaign (pamphlets, flyers, bag giveaways, window clings, Spanish translations, encourage stores to put flyers in coupon mailers, cart stickers, etc.)
- Next meeting scheduled in conjunction with next GC meeting, Monday July 2 at 7:00 pm in Town Hall 3rd floor.
- Mica reached out to Green Circle Salons re: certifying Hammonton salons/ barber shops. Waiting to hear back & discuss.
- Compiling “proof” of SJ activities can be done in Google Drive.
- Dan will ask Mayor to sign Council resolution to endorse NWF Mayor’s Monarch Challenge at June 25th Council meeting.
Green Day 2018,
Sunday Sept 23
- Use of Facilities form has been submitted & approved. May be edited to include Beer Garden, whatever is decided.
- Amy will update last year’s resolution to make sure Council recognizes it
- Amy updated sponsor & vendor letters
- Dan will reach out to Pinelands Adventures’ cost for sponsor package
- Dan will reach out to Parks for Beer Garden
- Gordon will contact the drug lockbox vendor
- Green Day planning meeting Thurs. June 28, 7pm in Town Hall 3rd floor.
- HAC is collecting old CDs, yarn, branches, etc. for dreamcatchers again. Mica will create signage for collection boxes; Amy offered to place & check one at library, Mica at Casciano’s, Jeanette at HAC, Kerri at Gym. Mica will add collection details to Facebook.
Adopt a Road Cleanups
- Next cleanup scheduled for August 25 from 9:00-11:00 am. We’ll meet in the library parking lot.
- Next meeting Monday, July 2 at 7:00 pm in 3rd floor of Town Hall. This will occur in conjunction with the Sustainable Jersey planning meeting.
2. Garden Update -
- Next meeting & Garden Talk Weds June 20 at 6:30 Composting & Reducing Food Waste w/ Ellie Gibson
- Meeting & Garden Talk July 18th at 6:30 Medicinal Herbs with Susan Hess
- Garden Talk & EOFLS August 8th (tentative) Monarch Butterflies at Kramer Hall
- Meeting August 15 at 6:30
- Garden Talk: Hops & Beer w/ Eric Schmehl, August 29 at 6:30 pm
- Mica mailed Ron’s Garden thank you card for donation
3. Open Floor
- Marker recycling by Crayola; push to collect Expo markers before the end of school year
- Is there a way to capture & reuse water from flushing fire hydrants?
- TerraCycle recycles contact lenses-- ask your eye doctor!
- Waterford Farmers market at Municipal Building, every Saturday 8:00-12:00 between 6/30 and 9/29.