Hammonton Green Committee Minutes - August

Monthly Meeting - Hammonton Town Hall

Green Committee Members:

X Jeanette DePiero  X Mica McCullough  X Amy Menzel   X Linda Esposito  
X Kerri Patton      X Sara Verrillo   __Courtney Volpe

Friends of the Green Committee & Guests: Dan Bachalis, Eric Schmehl, Victoria Falciani,

  1. Events and Projects:

PROJECT

STATUS/ACTIONS NEEDED:

National Night Out

EOFLS

  • Suggested EOFLS & Garden Talk crossover about Monarch butterflies in August. Mica will show & tell monarchs she is raising this summer, & Flight of the Butterflies documentary on Netflix (~40-minute length).
  • Linda E. will supply new contact for Kramer Hall
  • Proposed date of August 8th

ANJEC Pollinator Grant

  • $1,500 for invasive removal & pollinator garden at Lake Park was granted!
  • Invasive species removal dates set for Sat. June 23 and Sat. June 30 from 9:00-12:00 pm. Gloves provided, wear sturdy shoes & bring drinking water.  
  • Finished grant will include 2 pollinator areas and 2 interpretive stations
  • Mica will create Facebook events, encourage HS volunteer participation.

Plastic Bag Ban/Fee

  • Drafted ordinance proposes a plastic bag ban & $0.10 on paper bags. Fee will belong to the store. A 9-month preparation period is built in.
  • Agreement that now is a good time to do bag ban as it’s a popular topic
  • Dan will send Bag Ban electronic draft to GC, EC/ Brooke, Quality of Life committee.
  • Short-term joint subcommittee will conduct an education campaign (pamphlets, flyers, bag giveaways, window clings, Spanish translations, encourage stores to put flyers in coupon mailers, cart stickers, etc.)

Sustainable Jersey

  • Next meeting scheduled in conjunction with next GC meeting, Monday July 2 at 7:00 pm in Town Hall 3rd floor. 
  • Mica reached out to Green Circle Salons re: certifying Hammonton salons/ barber shops. Waiting to hear back & discuss.
  • Compiling “proof” of SJ activities can be done in Google Drive. 
  • Dan will ask Mayor to sign Council resolution to endorse NWF Mayor’s Monarch Challenge at June 25th Council meeting.

Green Day 2018,

Sunday Sept 23

12:00-4:00 pm

Lake Park

  • Use of Facilities form has been submitted & approved. May be edited to include Beer Garden, whatever is decided.
  • Amy will update last year’s resolution to make sure Council recognizes it
  • Amy updated sponsor & vendor letters
  • Dan will reach out to Pinelands Adventures’ cost  for sponsor package
  • Dan will reach out to Parks for Beer Garden
  • Gordon will contact the drug lockbox vendor
  • Green Day planning meeting Thurs. June 28, 7pm in Town Hall 3rd floor.
  • HAC is collecting old CDs, yarn, branches, etc. for dreamcatchers again. Mica will create signage for collection boxes; Amy offered to place & check one at library, Mica at Casciano’s, Jeanette at HAC, Kerri at Gym. Mica will add collection details to Facebook.

Adopt a Road Cleanups

  • Next cleanup scheduled for August 25 from 9:00-11:00 am. We’ll meet in the library parking lot.

        

2. Garden Update -

3. Open Floor