How To Create an Author Website
- Research Domain Name (domains.google.com) _______________________________
- Plan content with your audience in mind. Your site should have:
- A home page that makes it easy to see who you are and what you’re about.
- A list, with images and descriptions, of all your books/publications, and links to buy.
- Your latest book featured.
- A contact page.
- Simple navigation.
- Links to your social media pages (if you use them).
- Your upcoming events & appearances (if you do them).
- A sign up form for your newsletter (if you have one).
- Your personality.
- A blog (if you can keep up on posts).
- Other services, e.g. speaking or editing (if you offer them).
- Choose a website builder service (DIY)
+ no ads
With e-commerce, more tools
(Prices are based on annual payment.)
- View templates offered by service. Try a few. Get familiar with the builder.
- If using paid plan: decide if you’ll buy your domain name through the service (free for 1 year, $20+ thereafter) or through another domain registrar. It is possible to transfer domain name to another registrar later.
- Decide on a template.
- Enter your own content.
Update as needed.
You’ll need to renew hosting and domain name annually. Most services will send email notification at least one month before hosting and domain registration will expire.
Gabrielle Koza gk-webworks.com