Scottsbluff County Democrats
February 15, 2020 / 12:30 PM / Godfather’s Pizza
Marci Docekal, Ryan Griffin, Kent Docekal, Joyce Dohse, Carol & Francis Mix, Lauren Ekdahl, Diana Crystal, Carol Enderlo, Robert Hawley, Byron Petersen, Angela McGrew, Eileen Sskel, Janet Craven, RayAnn Schmitz
Last Meeting Follow-up
- Marci Docekal acting chair
- Stan Kontogiannis resigned role as chair in December.
- to fill vacant offices (vice-chair, secretary, treasurer). Vice-chair must be male.
- Motion to nominate Ryan Griffin made by Diana, seconded by Carol, seconded by Janet, motion approved with none opposed.
- Motion to nominate Stan Kontogiannis as Treasurer made by Diana, seconded by Ryan, motioned approved with none opposed.
- Motion to nominate Janet Craven as Secretary made by Carol, seconded by Ryan, motion approved with none opposed.
- Weekend meeting time seemed to work better for those attending, recommendation to have it early for those who dislike to drive in the dark
- Next meeting will be Saturday, March 14th at 12:30.
- Presentation on Black History Month by Byron Petersen
- Primary Election & County Convention
- Primary will be May 12th, there will be no caucus this year
- NDP dictates that our county convention must be between May 14-24
- Attendees that arrive on time, must be allowed to attend
- Unsure of attendance because last convention was with caucus and 350+ people attended, however there will be no caucus this time
- Ryan thought about 20 people attended convention in 2014
- Purpose of convention is to elect delegates and county party officials
- May 16th is day before Scottsbluff HS graduation, May 23rd is part of Memorial Day holiday
- Choice for date/time: first choice is May 14th 6 pm, second choice is May 16th 12:30 pm, third choice is May 23rd 12:30 pm.
- County courthouse commissioners room, Guadalupe center (reach out to hispanic community), Elks Club, Airport meeting room, Gering Public Library basement (not ADA accessible)
- First choice is Guadalupe center, no objections to any venues
- SB county has two delegates (male/female) and two alternates to represent our county at the state convention
- Anyone interested in serving as delegate encouraged to view delegate training online in the video from the last SCC meeting
- What gets us excited, passionate, energized?
- 11,997 Republicans, 5,090 Democrats, 4,490 Independents
- How do we reach out to moderate Independents and Democrats to get them involved
- Perception does not match reality
- Republicans are neglected, underserved, underrepresented by their party
- Independents are on the fence and don’t vote
- College voter registration, most that say their non-partisan, but when you ask they no knowledge of party platforms
- Independents can vote in Democratic Primary
- Emphasis on fact checking
- Plan made to form a smaller committee to focus on education
- Local Focus Issues to Consider
- Stan worked on community and local issues (veterans, LGBTQ)
- Agriculture - NDP has new Rural Caucus, Doc Moore (Caucus chair) has offered to come to our county meeting. How are trade policies and farm bankruptcies affecting local voters
- LGBTQ community, how can we support them
- Native Americans
- Immigration and migrant labor affecting farming and local economy
- Listening booth at farm Expos
- Demographics on registered voters in SB County
- Combating the Socialism narrative
- Education issues
- How health insurance costs affect ability to pay back loans
- Kansas sending people to prison for not paying medical bills
- How many voters have main source of income from social security
- Banner county has two employees who work for bank and rest are state employees or on government subsidies
- Stock market and unemployment is not really indicative of local economy
- Focus on talking positively and focusing on issues
- Maybe a training/speaker to educate us on approach
- Time constraint/urgency because of time frame
- Make it concise, simple, prasing
- Focus on getting people out to vote
- What has a republican done for anyone in this room
- Make sure to let independent voters know they can vote
- Set up an Op-Ed in the paper every day on each particular issue between now until May
- Our website has been updated (www.scottsbluffdems.com)
- Highlighted voter registration
- Contact info updated
- FaceBook page has updated photos
- Money for advertisements, signage
- Maybe T-shirt sales, also can identify our group
- Marching in OT parade
- Look at local calendars, KNEB, etc. to get involved
- Small groups can meet in between monthly meetings
- Meeting in Lincoln (Celebration of Senators) in Lincoln, go to NDP site for more information
- Ryan motioned to adjourn at 1:46 pm, seconded by Byron.
- Bring name labels for next meeting
- Post the video to the Delegate 101 training from SCC
- Form education committee FaceBook group and try to meet between county meeting times