Hammonton Green Committee Minutes - January 7, 2019
Monthly Meeting - Hammonton Town Hall
Green Committee Members:
_ Jeanette DePiero X Mica McCullough X Amy Menzel X Linda Esposito
_ Kerri Patton _ Sara Verrillo X Jen Rajkowski (new member)
Friends of the Green Committee & Guests: Charley Crowley, Nancy Fonte, Pat Fonte, Barbara Neary, Dan Bachalis, Ben Ott, Brooke Sacco, Dudley Prince
Jim Eden (Disaster Program Specialist at Red Cross)
- Events and Projects:
- Amy will update application form for 2019
- HCG will advertise garden openings in Gazette, at Town Planting event, Lake Cleanup, April 3rd Thursday, other events
- Amy will request 10 yards of EcoSoil from ACUA
- Charley will request leaves from Scott R./ Town
- Garden Talks: Mica contacted Chris Rehmann re: orchid talk, Dudley will ask Master Gardeners for late April/May talk. Please submit any ideas to Mica.
- Opening date of garden depends on TBD EC Lake Cleanup (early April)
- DATES: Garden 101 sessions March 27 7:00 pm & April 1 6:00 pm & TBD opening day (must attend at least 1 session)
- 2 workdays per month: 4/6, 4/14, 5/4, 5/19, 6/1, 6/23, 7/13, 7/28, 8/10, 8/25, 9/14, 9/29, 10/12, 10/27
- 2-3 gardeners will be “responsible” for each workday to ensure participation
- Ben Ott offered his push mower to the garden. We accept!
- IDEAS: ask for donation from Home Depot, spruce up community area, landscape material from Ollies on pathways to prevent bermuda grass
Guest Speaker: Jim Eden from Red Cross
- Home Fire education campaign opportunity to volunteer with Red Cross to educate low- and mid-income residents about fire safety & distribute free smoke alarms.
- ~20 volunteers, (can include teens age 15+ w/ parent or waiver)
- Bilingual materials available
- Will schedule volunteer project date for later spring
- Lake cleanup date to be set at Jan EC meeting (1st or 2nd Sat of April)
- Tree Bank trees were granted, EC will receive & bundle them to hand out at April Third Thursday table (Mica will share vol opportunity with schools)
- Pollinator Garden- seeking Master Gardeners for ~20-minute education piece before workdays (dates TBD)
- EC committed $990 toward $3,000 needed to update NRI.
April Third Thursday (4/18) Planning
- Taking place April 18, at Casciano’s Next Door
- PPA & ANJEC planning, HGC will fill in as needed, help advertise event
- Educational materials, advertise landscape makeover & rain barrel programs, PPA native plant sale
- Advertise Hammonton Community Garden open plots, upcoming events
- Next SJ meeting January 23 at 7:00 pm at Hammonton Arts Center (10 S 2nd St.)
- Compiling “proof” of SJ activities can be done in Google Drive.
- No updates available on Rx drug collection bin/ events
- Partial funding achieved for NRI updates
- Single Use Plastic Subcommittee meeting Weds 1/9, 6:00 pm at Casciano
- January 21st MLK Jr. Day Adopt-A-Road Cleanup at 10:00-- Mica has shared with Stockton SAVE & Christy Rivera @ St. Joe’s
- Eye-Opening Film & Lecture Series Monday 1/21 6:00 pm at NextDoor, screening 60 Minutes special on Pacific Garbage Patch. permission from CBS has been received.
- February 22 Green Drinks- hosted by Waterford Twp (location TBD)
- March 22nd EOFLS- topic & location TBD. Any suggestions?
- Ben Ott expressed concern for ACUA’s new policy of only accepting plastics #1 and #2 for recycling. How can community continue to collect & recycle these plastics? He will also present issue to EC on Weds. Mica suggested TerraCycle, Ben is followin up.
- HGC made ~$20 selling ornaments at HAC and $110 at wreathmaking workshop
- Dan suggested hosting another Slow Food Dinner (originally hosted in 2011) at Rocco’s. He and Barb will approach Rocco’s to discuss feasibility. Considering late summer date & utilizing Community Garden tomatoes
Next Meeting: February 4th at 7:00 pm, 3rd floor Town Hall conference room