Heritage Middle School Home of the Eagles
1951 Enon Rd. Valdese, NC 28690 ● tel 828.874-0731 ● fax 828.879-6330
Principal:Dillon Sain ● firstname.lastname@example.org
Assistant Principal:Sarah Wright● Sarahwright@burke.k12.nc.us
September 25, 2020
I am writing this letter to let you know that Heritage has been designated as a Targeted Support & Improvement Additional Targeted Support (TSI-AT) school by the North Carolina State Board of Education. As stated in ESSA Section 1111(d)(2), North Carolina had to identify schools for targeted support and improvement. TSI-AT schools in North Carolina are those that have a subgroup that is under-performing as measured by student proficiency on End of Grade or End of Course Testing. Like the vast majority of schools across North Carolina that serve a subgroup of Students with Disabilities (SWD), this subgroup’s test scores have led to Heritage’s identification as a Targeted Support and Improvement school.
As a TSI-AT school, Heritage is required to develop a comprehensive plan that specifically addresses how the school will improve student achievement. The plan will also include how our district will support us and monitor the progress of our school. The comprehensive plan will address the following areas:
We have set the following goals for Heritage this year:
Our students need to experience higher achievement levels, but it will require hard work on the part of staff, students and families. Here are some strategies Heritage will be implementing:
Parent engagement is at the heart of our school improvement efforts. Here are some ways we can work together:
· Make sure that both you and your student are aware of academic expectations set for your student this school year. A list of learning objectives in student-friendly language is available from your student’s teacher(s).
· Call Heritage if you have questions or concerns about your student or to set up an appointment to meet with a school staff member who will be working with your student.
· Make sure that your student is prepared and attends school each day.
· Monitor your student’s homework.
· Monitor the progress your student is making and attend meetings with your student’s teacher(s).
Sounds like a lot but preparing our students so that they can succeed is not easy and is a group effort. Here are some resources available to help:
· Graduation requirements: www.ncpublicschools.org/gradrequirements/
· K-12 standards in academic subjects: www.ncpublicschools.org/curriculum/
· State student achievement test results: www.ncpublicschools.org/accountability/
· N.C. School Report Cards: https://ncreportcards.ondemand.sas.com/src
We’re excited about this school year and are working to make it a success for your student. Already, we have:
If you have questions about the content of this letter, please contact Dillon Sain at email@example.com or call 828-874-0731
Principal, Heritage Middle School