Gateway Regional High School
7th Grade: Big History Project-Big History is a course that tells the story of the Universe from the Big Bang to the present, which means students are going to be looking at billions of years of history. Because telling the story of the Universe covers so much time and so many topics, The Big History course relies on information from people other than just historians, which is not typical for a history course. Students will consider what scholars from many disciplines have to say about the past, including scholars in physics, astronomy, chemistry, biology, anthropology, and of course, history.
Course Expectations and Assessments
- Tests-50% - usually 3 per marking period.
- Quizzes-35% - usually 5 per marking period
- Classwork-15% - everyday class assignments
Major Assessments for the upcoming year.
- 1st Marking Period: Investigation 2 Essay Unit 4 Assessment Benchmark 1
- 2nd Marking Period: Invent a Species Project Investigation 6 Essay Benchmark 2
- 3rd Marking Period: Unit 7 Assessment Unit 8 Assessment Benchmark 3
- 4th Marking Period: Investigation 9 Essay Unit 9 Assessment Benchmark 4
- There will be a review given for every test.
- Retests are for tests only. There are no retakes on quizzes.
- You can only retest if your classwork/homework is up to date (for that particular unit) on the day of the original test.
- Late work will have points deducted.
Required and Recommended Materials
- A chromebook everyday.
- A trapperkeeper or folder for occasional handouts
- A set of earbuds
- Extra help is offered. Contact your teacher for available times.
Rules and Expectations
- A charged Chromebook is needed everyday.
- A Pencil or Pen.
- Only water is allowed at your desk. If anything else is brought into class, you will be asked to either put it in your locker or throw it away. If you play with your water bottle (excessive noise) you will be given the same alternatives.
- No food is allowed in the classroom. If anything else is brought into class, you will be asked to either put it in your locker or throw it away. Gum is permitted as long as it is not a distraction. (You show it...You throw it!)
- All phones need to be put away before class starts. A warning will be given to put phones away. The 2nd time, you will have to put your phone in front of the class for the rest of the class period. You may use your phone in class, for instruction, with teacher permission.
- Please leave your backpack in your locker. You really only need your chromebook and a trapper keeper for occasional handouts.
- Be careful of plagiarism. We will review what is and what is not plagiarism. Do your own work.
And above all else:
- TRY YOUR BEST AT ALL TIMES!
- SMILE! YOU LOOK GOOD DOING IT!