4’s League Rules
Modified from USA Beach Volleyball Domestic Competition Regulations
- All matches will be 5 games to 25 with a 2 pt. cap. In August, games will be played to 21 pts. Format subject to change due to weather and daylight.
- Each team must contain at least one male and at least one female player.
- The net should be set to the top hole. This is women's height. The top hole is men's height. The middle hole is for coed play where the men can hit at the net.
- If using the top hole does not achieve a height of 7'4" then a few things to consider:
1. Most net bags have blocks to rest the poles in that will bring up the height
2. Sometimes the net may appear lower at parts because the ground is not even
3. The guy wires attached to the net should form a skinnier V rather than a wide V to get the most tension on the poles.
The net height should never be adjusted using the C-clips at the top of the net.
- Contact with the net by a player between the antennae, during or as continuation of the action of playing the ball, is a fault. The action of playing the ball includes (among others) take-off, hit (or attempt), and landing safely, ready for a new action.
- Contact with guy wires/pole will not be considered a fault unless the contact interferes with the play (significantly alters the net height or causes the net to fall down)
- Players cannot cross the centerline in or outside of the court to play a ball.
- Players may not run onto an adjacent court, including the serving area to play a ball or after playing a ball.
- Crossing the center line is a fault if contact is made with a player on the other side of the net, regardless of which player initiates contact, or if the opponent's attempt to play the ball is altered or impeded in any way. Contact does not need to be made to constitute interference.
- Let serves are allowed
- Kick serves are not allowed
- One toss per serve
- No penalty for incorrect server. Make the change to the correct server when an error is discovered.
- Open hand receive/contact with fingers is not allowed. Hands must be together when attempting to play the ball overhead.
- On opponent’s request, a player must move or bend down to prevent screening
- You cannot attack or block a serve
- The ball cannot be lifted or doubled
- 1.5 Spin Rule - hand set balls that spin more than 1.5 rotations are considered violations
- Balls set into the opponent’s court must be square to the setter’s shoulders, front or back
- One handed sets contacted with “finger tip action” are not allowed
Defense on Balls Coming Over the Net (non serve receive)
- Beach digs (digs made using both hands that may result in a double or momentary lift) are allowed only on attacked balls that meet all of these 3 criteria:
- Must be contacted above the height of the net
- Have downward trajectory
- Be hard driven
- Balls that do not meet all 3 of the above criteria (i.e. roll shots, down balls, free balls, over sets, etc.) cannot be beach dug unless the ball comes out completely clean (no lift, no spin).
- A block does not count as a touch
- Blockers can redirect any ball crossing the plane of the net
- Men are not allowed to block or contact the ball in a blocking motion if any part of the ball is above the height of the net
- No open hand dinks or tips (this includes cobra style pokes)
- In coed, men are considered back row players. Back row players must take off from behind the 10 ft. line if attacking the ball. When attacking a ball in front of the 10 foot line, some part of the ball needs to be below the height of the net.
- Only teams with 5 players on their official roster are allowed to sub during the match.
- Only 4 players are allowed per game.
- There will be no in-game subbing except in the case of injury. This injured player may not return during the match.
- At the start of each match (6:10), a late or incomplete team forfeits set 1. The late or incomplete team will have 20 minutes before forfeiting set 2 and the match.
- If the late or incomplete team arrives with sufficient players before the 20-minute period has elapsed, they will be allowed to warm up during the remaining time.
*If you have a rules related dispute during a match please see the League Director for an interpretation immediately.