GB Finance Officer - Role Description
The costs associated with a GB Ultimate squad quickly mount up. Each event is expensive: entry fees, accommodation, food etc. Squads attend a number of training sessions, potentially travel to warm-up tournaments, and may engage various support staff in volunteer or paid roles.
We need to protect the players and any volunteer team coordinators from financial risks that may arise from their involvement - e.g. paying up-front for an event and not receiving the money back from team-mates; and we also need to make sure that the teams do not create a liability that has to be covered from general UK Ultimate reserves - e.g. due to errors in calculating the full costs of competing.
The structure of international ultimate is such that we always have some active GB teams, and as the NGB we have a responsibility to ensure that the financial arrangements for the teams are well-managed. In some years, we have as many as 21 GB teams competing internationally, and we believe this maximum number may yet increase further.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Working with the UKU Treasurer, Bookkeeper and other GB Committee members, take responsibility for refining and clarifying policies that we use for managing GB programme finances.
- Responsible for ensuring the policies are reviewed and updated at least once a year in good time to support best possible planning process for the teams.
- Help to ensure that GB teams run according to those policies.
- Refine existing tools to help set up budgets and simple tracking spreadsheets for each team before the team managers are appointed.
- Help bookkeeper and team coordinators to keep on top of individual payments and identify sooner any players that are not keeping up to date.
- Support process of working with players that fall behind with payments.
- Understand how GB teams fit into UK Ultimate’s financial model.
- Improve longer-term business planning for GB squads in wider context of UKU long-term financial planning.
- Help to ensure that players have appropriate visibility and understanding of how GB team costs are calculated.
- As a member of the GB committee, where appropriate, engage with wider discussions regarding the GB programme.
All of the tools and tasks identified above exist to some extent already; but all would benefit from another “pair of hands” to ensure we keep improving them.
- Experience of working in bookkeeping, accounting or finance-related role
- Strong organisational and time management skills
- Good communication and negotiating skills
- Comfortable working with shared spreadsheets
- A desire to contribute to the GB ultimate vision and to help make the experience of participating in a GB team the best it can be
- Qualified accountant with experience working in small business and/or charity sector
- Experience of managing the finances of a team at an international event
- Variable depending on the point in the competition cycle
- Can be 3-4 hours per week for a few weeks at the busiest times (e.g. beginning of training cycle when setting up the plans)
- Approx 1/hour per week most of the year
- Most work to be completed in shared documents, email or phone/skype
Any expenses incurred will be reimbursed
The position is fixed-term of 3 years(*) but individuals are free to apply for a subsequent term
(*) As we initially create the committee, we will stagger the terms across the group to help ensure continuity in the group as individuals step down / join.
UK Ultimate Ltd, 27 Old Gloucester Street, LONDON WC1N 3AX
Tel: 0844 8045949 www.ukultimate.com
Registered in England and Wales Company No. 6613293