Costume Assistant (Part-Time)
The Highwood Theatre Inc. - Silver Spring, MD
The Highwood Theatre is a non-profit organization dedicated to building community through innovative, inclusive theatre and arts programs at our home in downtown Silver Spring and in schools throughout the DC metropolitan area. www.thehighwoodtheatre.org.
The Highwood Theatre produces 13-14 professional and student mainstage productions annually, along with weekly improv comedy nights and other studio events, in addition to student classes, private lessons, summer camps, and extensive work in over 40 schools. Entering its 16th season, Highwood’s physical plant includes two black box theatres, rehearsal spaces, technical theatre spaces, and offices in downtown Silver Spring.
The Costume Assistant reports to the Technical Coordinator, who oversees all technical theatre programming on-site and in schools.
- Assist in the Costume Shop with:
- Sourcing Costumes
- Act as the Costume Designer’s representative when the designer is not present, including making appropriate decisions and solving problems
- Work with student costume designers and be willing to educate students about costumes and the design process
- Work in partner schools, assisting with costuming, fitting, productions, and make-up
- Instruct students in technical theatre classes or hands-on technical theatre experiences
- Work with teachers to determine how to best use their resources, advising on new costumes, and training teachers
- Ensure all participants in and customers for classes or programs are happy, supported, and smoothly working within the organization and community
- Collaborate with students, parents, and/or school representatives in achieving their desired outcomes, while still maintaining Highwood’s welcoming environment
- Must successfully maintain Highwood’s mission across all programming
- Strong background and experience in costumes (design and building)
- Experience with hair and makeup is desired
- Comfortably teach groups of various sizes, ages, and experience levels
- Must be extremely organized, proactive, and promote a supportive atmosphere for learning and productivity
- Ability to lead groups of all backgrounds to achieve highest potential
- Proven ability to work independently and under pressure
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent leadership, organization, and communication skills - written, oral and interpersonal
- Ability to adapt to change
- Appreciation for Highwood’s Mission and an interest in the Organization
At a minimum, must be available two weekday evenings each week (either Monday, Wednesday, or Thursday from 6 - 9 PM) and Saturday afternoons (1 - 5:00 PM). Additional availability between the hours of 2:30 and 6:30 and/or 6:00 - 9:00 PM is desirable. Additional work around performances may be required (dates can be provided in advance). Compensation amounts vary by program; some are hourly, some are stipend. Reliable transportation required. Work will be located in downtown Silver Spring, MD and/or other off-site locations in Montgomery County, Prince George’s County, DC, and/or Fairfax County.