AkASL EBoard Meeting Summary
November 13, 2018
- Please renew your membership! Our new membership year started October 1, so if you haven’t renewed yet, please do so!
- AkASL is changing it’s logo. Do you have a suggestion? Email your AkASL Region Rep to share your idea by December 1!
- Need money to attend conferences and trainings? Apply for a AkASL Travel Grant. The deadline is December 15th to apply for an in-state grant to attend the Alaska Library Association conference or the Alaska Society for Technology in Education conference to be held in February.
- Padlets open December 1st for next year’s Battle of the Books title recommendations.
- Tiffany Whitehead will be presenting at ASTE this year. She will be holding a special presentation just for school library staff. Stay tuned for details and registration information.
- Janet Madsen is the new School Library Consultant at the State Library. Welcome back to Alaska Janet and welcome to your new position!
- The primary responsibilities of the position are:
- Providing consultative services to school librarians both professional and paraprofessional
- Coordinating the Alaska Digital School Library program
- Establishing and maintaining cooperative relationships with school administrators and stakeholders
- Administer the School Broadband Assistance Grant
- Maintain a statewide school Library database
- Provide professional development
- Provide information and resources for school librarians
- Serve as liaison to AkASL
- The Standards Adoption Campaign is going well. AkASL will be presenting at the December 2018 Alaska State Board of Education meeting on the National School Library Standards and requesting that the state update the 1999 Alaska Library / Information Literacy Standards.
- We have signed resolutions supporting the adoption of the National School Library Standards by the State of Alaska from:
- The Fairbanks Education Association
- The Alaska Society for Technology in Education
- On December 6, call in and testify to the Alaska State Board of Education and ask them to adopt the National School Library Standards. Public comment is accepted at about 9:10am by calling 1-844-586- 9085 if you are outside of Juneau. For participation from Juneau, call 586-9085.
- If you can’t call, send a letter to the Commissioner of Education by sending an email to Melissa McCormick, Executive Secretary to the State Board of Education.
- Need guidelines on what to say in your public comment? Check out the one-pagers for stakeholders put together by the American Association of School Librarians.
- Share this information with parents and teachers that support school libraries!
- AkASL has altered its Policy Manual to reflect that members of the executive board must have their membership to AkASL paid by October 1 of each year.
- Nothing reported this month.
Do you have news to share about something happening in your library or district? Email your Region Rep so they can include it in their monthly region report!