8th Grade Social Studies
Curriculum at a Glance
The Age of Discovery and Effects on Native Cultures
• Analyze and explain the causes and effects of the Age of Discovery.
• Examine contacts between Native Americans and European settlers.
• Describe the creation of the American Colonies.
- Describe the Earliest Americans
- Evaluate the Trading Kingdoms of West Africa
New Empires in the Americas, Early Colonization
- Examine how the Europeans changed life in the Americas
- Evaluate experiences of the colonists and how it shaped America’s political and social ideas
- Describe early English colonies in America
- Analyze Spain’s impact and establishment of a large empire in the America’s
The Early National Period, The Revolutionary War, and The Establishment of the American Government
• Analyze and explain the chronological events of the American Revolution.
• Outline the standards and ideas of the Early National Period and the formation of the American Government.
- Evaluate the struggle for Independence
The Civil War and Reconstruction
• Analyze the causes and effects of major events of the Civil War.
• Evaluate the lasting effects of Reconstruction.
- Examine the movement to end slavery.
• Explain how mass migration and the discovery of mineral deposits in the American West changed the character of the country.
- Describe the idea and impact of Manifest Destiny
- Analyze the effect of Manifest Destiny on the Native peoples of America
- Evaluate the lasting impact of the gold rush on westward expansion.
The Age of Invention and Industrialization
• Summarize how inventions, production methods, government policies, and certain business practices affected economic development during the Second Industrial Revolution.
- Explain the impact of the Robber Barons during the Industrial Revolution
Immigration and Ethnic Conflict
• Analyze the impact of immigration on American life and social structure, while making comparisons to current immigration issues.
- Examine the Gilded Age and Progressive movement throughout America
- Evaluate immigration and its relation to urban sprawl.