Each week there will be a focus on two Learner Profile attribute from the RUA developed by Julie Lemley, Ju Garcia & Katy Vance and used by Nagoya International School. The lesson structure will be based on the Common Sense Education scope and sequences and a variety of their lessons. Each lesson will be complemented with a Visible Thinking routine, encouraging focus and inquiry into the lesson.
Explorer Launch - What is an responsible use agreement?!
Unpacking the “Responsible Use Agreement” worksheet
WHAT is the PYP Student Responsible Use Agreement?
Common Sense, 3-5 Unit 1 Lesson 1 - Rings of Responsibility
What is a digital citizen? Create wonderings for why we doing this...
Inquiry and Knowledge
Commons Sense, 3-5 Unit 1 Lesson 4: The Key to Keywords
Common Sense, 3-5 Unit 2 Lesson 1: Strong Passwords
- I will use technology to guide and support my inquiry.
- I will be an inquirer and check that the information I get on the web is correct.
- I will use search engines shared with me by my teacher and will use safe search settings when these are available.
- I will follow classroom expectations when posting and sharing my work.
- I will be knowledgeable about how to best use effectively, appropriately and safely use technology for academic and personal purpose.
- I will use only my personal information and passwords.
What do you want to learn this year with technology?!
Creating online accounts and creating individualized passwords
Inquiry question: (Flat Chat) What is a password manager?
Thinker and Communicator
Common Sense, 3-5 Unit 1 Lesson 2: Private and Personal Information
- I will think critically when using technology to find and share information.
- I will not post personal information about myself or my peers online.
- I will not post pictures of myself online without my parents’ approval.
- I will not post pictures of other people online unless I have their permission.
- I will use a variety of technology tools to communicate effectively and creatively.
- I will use technology to collaborate with others, both locally and globally.
- I will use words and language that reflect the learner profile.
Example: Introducing twitter this week and research skills
Inquiry question: (Think, puzzle, explore) What should be private online?
Principled and Open-minded
Common Sense, 3-5 Unit 2 Lesson 2: Digital Citizen Pledge
Common Sense, 3-5 Unit 1 Lesson 5: Whose Is It, Anyway?
- I will use technology with integrity and honesty and will take responsibility for my use of technology as well as the accompanying consequences.
- I will behave online in a way that represents myself and my school positively.
- I will use CC Search to find images, music, and sites that users have given permission for people to use.
- I will report to an adult if I come across any information that makes me or my peers uncomfortable.
- I will respect the rights and views of others.
- I will encourage tolerance and acceptance in digital environments.
Digital Footprint Video
Inquiry question: (Headlines) What can you find out about yourself online (using a private browser)?
Write a headline at the beginning of the lesson!
Caring and Risk-taker
Common Sense, Unit 1 Lesson 3: The Power of Words
- I will contribute positively to online communities.
- I will be responsible with all the digital devices I use.
- I will only print when I have permission to.
- I will use technology to explore new roles, ideas and strategies with courage and forethought.
- I will be open to using technology to enhance my learning .
- I will be open to sharing my creations with others.
Leaving comments on other people’s work.
Inquiry question: (Think, Pair, Share) How would you feel if someone left you a negative comment online:
Balanced and Reflective
Common Sense, Unit 2 Lesson 5: Picture Perfect
- I will balance my use of technology for academic, social and personal purposes.
- I will use technology tools and the Internet only during the designated times set by my school.
- I will communicate with my parents about how I use technology.
- I will give thoughtful consideration to my use of technology, reflecting on my strengths and limitations in order to improve my skills and my digital presence.
- I will reflect on what I read online before I click.
- I will reflect on how I can meet the agreements put forth in this responsible use agreement.
Reflection week: Using Seesaw/Haiku Learning as a reflection tool
Inquiry question: (Explanation Game) Why are picture online altered? How can I take a balanced approach to the images I post?