Director of Education
Section on Women’s Health-APTA
Term: 3 year term – up to 2 terms
WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO?
- Oversee all educational endeavors for the SOWH. SOWH education includes post‐professional education including: regional courses (CAPP and collaborative), international courses, collaborative courses, online courses/webinars, home study modules.
- Assist BOD in organization, structure, and function of SOWH
- Prepare Board Reports prior to set meetings with an update of activities
- Initiate dialogue with BoD, follow up and implement initiatives that will facilitate professional development, develop new courses, seminars or other educational venues that will assist members
- Coordinate with the Director of Programming to evaluate comments from CSM and Annual Conference. Base future initiatives regarding course development on member/attendee suggestions as appropriate
- Coordinate the financial information from the Treasurer, Executive Director, and all committees and task forces to create annual education budget prior to BOD retreat
- Coordinate the Section’s faculty professional development, mentorship, and remediation as necessary
- Regional Courses
- Facilitate the planning of regional courses and work with the management company to ensure courses run smoothly and are geographically and strategically placed to meet the needs of membership
- Contribute to the Section’s Strategic Plan and for an Educational Strategic Plan to develop the vision, goals, and outcomes for Education.
- Work with BOD and management company on updating policies and procedures
- Coordinate with the Education Review Committee Chair to develop new online and live courses and webinars and establish strategic direction and processes for developing course content, soliciting instructors, profit sharing, etc.
- Work with BOD and management company to adequately market courses, educational content and create procedures that assist in the profitability of courses
- Online and In-Person Collaborative Courses
- Work with Education Review Committee to develop policies/procedures that ensure the smooth development of HSM, online and collaborative in-person courses.
- Collaborate with committee, BOD, and membership to oversee develop of HSM’s that meet the needs of membership both in topic and delivery
- Oversee CAPP committees.
- Contribute to the development of other/potential CAPP committees.
- Coordinate CAPP process with regional course planning, policies, and procedures
- Assist in development of policies/procedures, and marketing of CAPP process
- Strategize and develop task forces for specific SoWH educational initiatives (curricular guidelines for pelvic health education, clinical education recommendations)
- Coordinate with the Director of Practice to align educational teachings, current evidence with practice issues or statements.
- Attend Meetings:
- Attends CSM: and SOWH BOD retreats
- Virtually attends BOD meetings as scheduled
- Participate in conference calls for BOD and committees (approximately 8/year x 1‐2 hr/each)
- 10-16 hours per week attending to email or phone calls, and communication platform for the BOD. More in some weeks, less in others.
- Blocks of time are needed to deal with issues that may arise in conjunction with scheduled courses, just prior to CSM and BOD retreats
SO DO I HAVE THE RIGHT ATTRIBUTES FOR THIS JOB?
- Passionate about excellence in women’s/pelvic health education
- Must be organized and responsive
- Ability to multitask
- Flexible in schedule: able to take calls at night, on the weekends, during daytime hours
- Prompt and thorough in answering member/consumer phone calls and emails
- Diplomatic when it comes to dealing with multiple committee members, membership, and staff
- Must be aware of current educational practices and CAPP committees and content (delivery, assessment, objectives), evidence based practice
SO WHY SHOULD I DO THIS?
- An opportunity to hold a leadership role in the Section
- The opportunity to get to know other section members and assist in their growth in the field of Womenʹs Health professional development
- A personal growth experience, including personal paid professional development opportunities
- An opportunity for service to the Section and to women, in general.