Wizarding World Writing Contest
In which Harry Potter meets… books?
Table of Contents (with clickable headings :O)
General Rules 1
Why Participate? 2
General Tips 2
Hello and welcome to the Wizarding World Writing Contest, a contest to see who can come up with the spiffiest story set inside the Harry Potter universe! Sounds neat, right? Well, good. There’s a few things to keep in mind when writing your masterpieces.
- The Harry Potter movies are rated PG-13. Keep your story in that range—no graphic violence, torrid love affairs, racism, creedism (including glorifying blood prejudice), etc.
- Plagiarism is strictly forbidden, and will result in an immediate disqualification.
- Stay around the 1,000 to 4,500 word zone. A single paragraph isn’t enough to really flush out a story, but we don’t really have enough to be reading a 17 page paper.
- The competition managers reserve the right to disqualify competitors for poor conduct.
- All submissions must be turned in to an auth/staff of either room (username beginning with +, %, @, or #) by 11:59 PM Pacific Time on January 27, 2020, two weeks after the competition’s start.
- The submissions will be judged by a team of impartial judges composed of auth and staff from both rooms. The results will be announced within 1-2 weeks of the end of submissions.
Well, why would we do any contest? For that sweet, precious loot! Prizes will consist of the following:
- Library Quills! Who doesn’t like getting those? Check The Library for more info.
- 500 for 1st, 350 for 2nd, and 200 for 3rd
- one for each top three finisher
- A larger one for 1st, and smaller ones for 2nd and 3rd
- The PS! username Diagon Alley, courtesy of global leader Anubis. (for first place only, unless they turn it down)
Stuck on what to do (and what not to do)? Here’s a few tips to twirl those quills.
- Avoid self-insert stories. Self-insert stories are stories where people create Original Characters (OCs) based off of a perfect version of themselves, and have the story revolve around them.
- For Example (exaggerated)… “Once upon a time, during Harry’s first year in Hogwarts, he met a special person. Their name was BigEgo123, and they were the perfect student; able to score just as high as Hermione on every test, a star Chaser, and a master of potions. They were a first year as well, and was very popular. So of course Harry had to meet them.”
- Take your time. There’s no prize for first submission- you have plenty of time to plot out where your story will go, and others will be doing the same.
- Have fun! In the end, you’re just trying to write a story. Don’t worry too much about the prizes; this is supposed to be a fun, lighthearted contest. If you’re getting too stressed with writer's block, take a break! You’re only going to get more frustrated if you continue in that state.
Anyways, enough of us. Now it’s your turn—get the quills twirling, parchment unrolled, and a bottle of your favorite ink ready to go! Good luck, have fun, and enjoy!