Black River Independent School Committee
Date/Time: 04/18/2019 @ 6:30pm
Location: Black River High School Middle School Coolidge Room
I. Call to Order-MP standing in for JB, called to order @ 6:46pm
A. Roll Call-Joann Wilson, Suzy Buckley, Heather Tucker, Melissa Perrino,
B. Approval of Agenda: Additions & Deletions-Motion by SB, 2nd by JW. Passed
II. Approval of Minutes
A. 04/11/2019-JW noted testing initials were wrong; corrected to proper initials.
Motion by SB, 2nd by JW.
1. Posters/Flyers Display Update via JW-Waiting to hear back on order for
posters & flyers thru marketer. Does have other display items received
from Staples; includes students’ interests chart, suggestion box, contact
sheet, etc. Also ordered a number of swag items (pens, pencils, bags). As
for set up, tables will be provided; we can bring a small side table as well,
though. School Fair will be in the new gym in LES. “Letter to Parents” is still in draft form; informative content is what will be on the posters/flyers. Brewfest & Cookster to display for sure. Suggestion for further down the line to include benefits of an independent school. Distribution of letter: prepare prior so that students can receive in person to bring home to parents. At least 2 members present at table during fair.
2. Alumni Contact & Castleton Update via PP-Tabled, PP away.
3. Special Education Funding Update via CH-Tabled, CH away.
4. Athletics Updates via MP-Began gathering contacts for a sub-committee for athletics, google doc created. Goal is to rally support & collaboration with local resources. Reviewed athletics that are available via the Vermont Principals Association, all of which we can/should/will offer. Also includes lots of intramural organizations. Also potential to collaborate locally for sports, ie: Tennis, spring sport (& there are courts at Okemo as well). Furthermore, ice hockey has come up as a possibility (support from Vail-Okemo to utilize rink at Jackson Gore). Other possibilities: Baseball/softball, Basketball, Mountain Biking, Kayaking, XC Skiing, Snowshoeing, and XC & Track. Between intramural, rec, & school teams there are plenty of avenues to be able to offer opportunities.
*Follow Up-For Basketball, HS size gym is in the LES; need to
reach out & research how to request use.
MP also caught up with OMS, possibility of tracking into OMS schedule for Skiing & Snowboarding training and BRA offering the educational piece for those students; Scholarships are also available. *Note-It IS a competitive mindset for training and competing. However, still a lot of inquiries/interest if BRA will collaborate with OMS.
*Follow Up-Further BRA/OMS collaboration
Sub-Committee Goal: Tap into these local resources & connect contacts
5. Wine & Cheese Event via MP-Event is Wednesday, May 15th 6-8pm, inviting about 25 people. Sent out a number of invites so far.
7:48pm, JW taking over as stand in Chair, MP prior engagement.
6. Press Release via MS-Reviewed paragraph drafted, will submit for VT Journal to get it published in time (needs to be submitted by Friday @ noon to be published for/by the week of May 2nd).
1. Sign Up Schedule for School Fair on Thursday, May 2nd-At least two
members present at any given slot; SB & JB can be there anytime after
2:30pm. JW will partake in Fair with her son, then return to help. MS can
also be available.
2. Family Forum/Event Planning-Tabled, members away.
3. Timeframe-Visual aid for organization. Showcase to community goals,
as well as accomplishments. Many big milestones need to be completed
by certain deadlines.
IV. Public Comment-via SB, possibly donating for an event (ie: refreshments) and also providing brochure, flyer, etc at table.
*Follow Up-SB to reach out on possibility
V. Suggested Items for Next Week
Student Council Update via JB
Alumni & Castleton Contact Update via PP
Special Education Funding Update via CH
Posters/Flyers Update via JW
Finalize School Fair Sign Up Schedule
VI. Adjournment-Adjourned by JW @ 8:11pm