Little Elkhart Chapter of Trout Unlimited
Meeting Minutes – October 10, 2018
Tom Vanderputten Jim Phillips Leonard Gustin Nick Christofeno Mike Beachy
Wayne Andrews Keith Loutzenhiser Oliver Miller
- After the correction of the spelling of Larry Koza from the minutes of September 12, 2018 they were approved.
- Mike reported the following from the Catch/Release section on the weekend of Oct. 5-7. Friday-5 browns, Saturday-8 browns, Sunday-10 browns, 1 rainbow.
- Lost one monster brown, majority of browns 8-12”, 5 tiny browns 4-5”
- Water was low and very clear, streamers early-nymphs most of the day
- Nick fished the Well Field and reported lots of browns.
- The presence of numerous small browns is possible indication of brown trout reproduction in the Little Elkhart
- Jim Phillips reported a friend fishing the St. Joseph river for carp and catching over 70 fish
- Keith Loutzenhiser submitted the financial report for July 2018. The total summary for all accounts was $ 26,840.18
- LECTU received $ 100 from Dr. Burns
- TU National has changed its fiscal year. Therefore the LECTU report is this month. Then another report will be due in six months. Thereafter the LECTU fiscal report to TU national will once again be due annually.
- Keith has finished the TU National Financial report. Mike will complete the volunteer hours portion, and then it will be submitted to TU National.
- Brandon has the newsletter and will post it soon.
Corson County Park
- The park land is now Elkhart County Parks property
- Mike will meet with Ronda DeCaire (Parks Director) regarding the Catch/Release request. The Parks Department needs to be the entity that makes the Catch/Release request to the State of Indiana.
Catch and Release Proposal for New Park (Re-Copied from December 13, 2017 Minutes)
- Redraft old proposal into new proposal
- Start working on names of the people we need to lobby regarding proposal
- Research names and addresses of property owners across the river from new park
- Draft the letter to be sent. Meet with each person to explain and answer questions
LECTU Stream Work
- Completed Phase II of Meadow Project.
- Middlebury Park Log Jam removal is scheduled for Saturday October 20th, 8:00am Krider Park.
- Need to have video or pictures of volunteers at the work project to be submitted along with volunteer hours to TU National.
Project Work Trailer
- The police inspection has been done. The forms sent to the BMV were returned.
- BMV required registration with Sec. of State and Federal ID for LECTU. The forms have been resubmitted.
Heartland (Indy) Fly Show
- LECTU received a reminder that the date will be January 19th and 20th. The set-up will be on Friday January 18th.
- LECTU will participate with a booth.
- Since this is the first show where LECTU sells tickets for the annual raffle and outing, we discussed changing the name from Adopt-a-Trout to something more general with the emphasis on the stream work and habitat restoration.
- Need to have raffle tickets for this show. The decision was made to feature a 9’ 5wt Helios Rod and Mirage Reel from Orvis as next year’s outing prize
- This show will be February 9th. Mike spoke with Curley Hodgson and LECTU will have two spaces again this year.
Formerly Known as A-A-T
- Orvis H3 9’5wt Helios rod with Mirage reel not yet ordered but will be soon.
- Mike sent Ed Evans a text message about access to river during deer season. As is normal there has not been a response.
- This is a Ft Wayne tackle shop going out of business. Mike made purchases of some raffle prize stuff.
- After discussion Keith/Mike will purchase additional items for LECTU.
- There will be fly tying sessions again this winter season. The dates will be determined.
Next Meeting - November 14, 2018 at 7:00 PM at the Middlebury Library
Tom Vanderputten - Secretary