CSE Recommended Questions
Bring this list of questions to CSE events featuring Alumni/ae or other business professionals
Choosing your career focus
- What were the most helpful strategies you used to identify potential job opportunities as you were looking for your first job?
- What personal insight would you share with a close friend entering the job market that you wish you knew when you first started your job search?
- What do you like most about your current role?
- What do you see as the major issues/trends in your field today?
- What would be a typical next career move for someone in your position?
- What are your career goals? What do you anticipate your next career move will be?
Interviewing success suggestions
- How did you obtain your first interview with X company?
- What key strategies did you use to prepare for your job interviews?
- Who were your most memorable interview applicants and why?
- What makes a candidate stand out in both an individual and a group interview?
- What are the most common mistakes you see people make in interviews?
Establishing yourself in the job
- When you hire a new employee, what qualities, actions, or soft skills make them stand out as compared to other new employees?
- Can you ever ask too many questions in a new role? How did you strike a balance between solving problems independently and asking for assistance?
- What strategies did you use to set goals for yourself when beginning your role? How did you ensure you reached your goals?
- Is there anything I should avoid doing as a new employee?
Enlisting the support of colleagues and mentors
- What advantages did a mentor provide for you?
- Did you ever have a supervisor as a mentor?
- When is networking in the workplace important and how did you go about doing it?
- How do you manage your workload now differently than your school workload?
- Could you tell me about one of the biggest challenges you have faced during your career? How did you manage/overcome the challenge?
- I am interested in learning about an important project you worked on and how you impressed your team and managing supervisor
Strategies for standing out and excelling
- When you were an entry level employee, how did you stand out in your role?
- What skill sets or experience has helped you excel in your field?
- What skill sets or experience helped you excel in your interviewing process?
Navigating the performance review
- How do you best prepare for a performance review?
- What can I expect from a performance review if I have never had one before?
- What actions have you taken following a performance review?
- What is the most challenging thing about receiving constructive criticism and how have you learned to handle it?
Ensuring career advancement
- What strategies/methodologies are you using to help you plan for your career advancement going forward?
- How have you approached the promotion and advancement of your job?
- How did you know when it was time to move on to a new position (within your current company or at a new company)?
Understanding the corporate culture
- What values and beliefs guide your workplace?
- How did you get to understand your corporate culture? What questions might I ask to better understand what the corporate culture and value system is before I am hired?
- How did you know that your company’s culture was right for you?
- How do I prepare myself to work in another country? (If the employer works in a company other than his/her home country)
Identifying workplace skills needed for the job and for advancement
- How do I find out what skills are most important to develop to advance my career?
- What skills did you have that served you well in your current role?
- What skills are you looking to acquire to advance your career?
- What interpersonal and technical skills do you think are more important to get promoted?
- What advice do you have for managing your work/life balance?
- How did your work/life balance change over the course of your career?