ADC-IARPC Vocabularies and Semantics Working Group


Meeting Agenda & Minutes

When

2019-02-19 18:00 UTC (11 am Mountain time)

Where

Time: Feb 19, 2019 11:00 AM Mountain Time (US and Canada)

            Every month on the Third Tue, 3 occurrence(s)

            Feb 19, 2019 11:00 AM

            Mar 19, 2019 11:00 AM

            Apr 16, 2019 11:00 AM

Please download and import the following iCalendar (.ics) files to your calendar system.

Monthly: https://cuboulder.zoom.us/meeting/105236636/ics?icsToken=8a84e892514ea380d1627217fcaa54543a5691e3417a22c8090d6c00f6d11c2e

Join Zoom Meeting

https://cuboulder.zoom.us/j/105236636

 

One tap mobile

+16699006833,,105236636# US (San Jose)

+16465588656,,105236636# US (New York)

Dial by your location

            +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)

            +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)

Meeting ID: 105 236 636

Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/aeih4mbzSw

Join by SIP

105236636@zoomcrc.com

Meeting ID: 105 236 636

Preliminary agenda (and minutes)

  1. Round table (who is attending)
  1. Ruth Duerr, Paul Thomson, Peter Pulsifer, Mark Schildhauer, Allison Gaylord, Pier Luigi Buttigieg, Øystein Godøy, Siri Jodha Singh Khalsa, William Manley
  1. Adoption of agenda
  1. Adopted
  1. Review of minutes of previous meeting
  1. 2019-01-20
  1. Approved
  1. Status of responses to the Polar Vocabularies questionnaire at https://tinyurl.com/PolarVocabs
  1. No updates since December. How can the community be engaged? Ruth mentioned lacking training/knowledge is a challenge identified in PDAWS. Mark also identified training as a necessary step based on the experience from LTER etc.
  2. Pier asked for training material, Mark are not aware of any existing formal, only presentations from meetings. Pier asked if Mark could ask LTER community to fill in the questionnaire. Allison asked Mark if GCMD etc are used by NSF ADC. They are not currently, except indirectly thru ENVO. Ruth mentioned that GCMD is used in SWEET. Also that there are ongoing efforts to align SWEET with ENVO.  GCMD is currently not presented as an ontology. Pier Luigi shared a spreadsheet of the terms the mini-hackathons are working on: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XmqB5F1SKLZ3y-PIVdQByU3Eho4cHAnUUafko3JNtn0/edit#gid=1512660924
  3. Pier Luigi asked for exchange of information between WMO and ENVO etc. Øystein will inform WMO and ask for contributions.
  4. http://geoscienceontology.org/ is being used to connect model inputs/outputs-- Scott Peckham’s work; extensive borrowing from CF vocab to improve utility of CF for model interoperability? Siri has slides to share about issues with CF and how this work addresses those problems. Is mainly from land-surface modeling community.
  5. Note that SAON and STPI built on the GEO Societal Benefit Areas (SBAs) to develop an Arctic-Specific extension.  The detailed report can be found here.  If there is interest in “semanticized” this, Peter would be interested in engaging or at least following the development: https://www.arcticobserving.org/images/pdf/misc/STPI-SAON-International-Arctic-Observations-Framework-Report-2017.pdf 
  6. Pier reported on the high level SBA content to be added to Sustainable Development Goals Interface Ontology (SDGIO). This is tracked in https://github.com/SDG-InterfaceOntology/sdgio/issues/118
  1. Further information on SDGIO is provided in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D2qJjTkUuk
  1. Semantics training for the data management community
  1. Information from Australia National Data Service provided by Siri Jodha  https://www.ands.org.au/online-services/research-vocabularies-australia 
  2. Pier suggested to create a training video on how to add Internationalised Resource Identifiers to NetCDF.
  1. Awareness updates (roundtable)
  1. Peter informed on upcoming meetings
  1. Week of Nov 18, 2019
  1. Third Polar Data Forum in Helsinki, Finland
  1. 2-day plenary followed by maybe 3 day hackathon.
  1. May-June 2019
  1. Following discussions with Sandy Starkweather (US SAON) on how to connect science and observational folks with the data community. Potentially workshops to be arranged.
  1. Canadian Consortium for Arctic Data Interoperability (CCADI) is now officially funded. This activity involves a number of members in the PSWG, e.g Shannon Christophersen and Peter Pulsifer.
  1. https://www.innovation.ca/about/news/supporting-institutions-breaking-barriers-big-data
  1. SiriJodha informed on YOPPSiteMIP. This is an effort to extract modelling and observations over a number of YOPP supersites (primarily IASOA stations) for further comparison. Identification of the proper CF standard names have been a problem. A spreadsheet identifying proper CF standard names to use has been developed: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BS8fvkmy28-bscyTAa4i6cSTYxL6c7AirCwbUCPPXVU/edit#gid=0
  1. “from Jonny” tab is ECMWF, the CAPS tab is the Canadian model
  1. Allison informed that she is happy to participate in hackathons and trainings.
  2. Øystein informed on upcoming meetings in the WMO context. In particular this week the Inter-Programme Expert Team on Data Representation Development (IPET-DD) where NetCDF/CF is being discussed. WMO has several activities working on vocabulary developments for various purposes, including description of variables. These activities are under the umbrella of WMO Information System (WIS) and WMO Integrated Global Observing System (WIGOS), although often complemented by various expert teams. WMO is restructuring this approach within the next 2 years.
  1. Action items:
  1. All - What meetings might have several Polar folks in the May-June time frame where we could pull a meeting together…?  If you know of any please post to our mailing list.
  2. Ruth action item once Pip is done with matrix to assess to see what info can gleaned - provide to Peter/Øystein when complete
  3. Peter/Øystein to review results of b and add anything from their work
  4. Peter to talk to Mark/Peter Fox re students to do this work
  5. Mark to contact US LTER Info Mgrs about the Polar terms questionnaire
  6. Øystein will inform WMO and ask for contributions
  7. Ruth/Øystein to look at the vocabulary repositories for ANDS
  8. If someone have trouble accessing the questionnaire etc, please inform Ruth.
  9. Ruth to send out doodle 26-28 for next hackathon
  10. Put discussion of Third Polar Data Forum on next agenda
  11. Siri Jodha to share spreadsheet of parameters and standard names
  1. Next meeting
  1. Agreed to do the third Tuesday of the month, at 1800 UTC.
  2. Next meeting will be March 19