Primary/Elementary Classroom Assistants
Annie Fisher Montessori Magnet School - Hartford, CT
Take this opportunity to join our growing Montessori community dedicated to social reform in making Montessori education accessible to more children. Annie Fisher Montessori seeks Primary and Elementary classroom assistants dedicated to authentic Montessori practice in a public school setting.
Annie Fisher Montessori was awarded “recognition” by AMI/USA, an acknowledgment of the highest quality program implementation at both primary and elementary levels. The school has well-equipped classrooms, AMI trained leadership, a supportive community and proximity to an AMI Training Center. Hartford Public Schools offers an excellent salary and benefit package.
Primary Function: Provide various forms of instructional support to the guide.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist students under the direction of the guide with follow up to Montessori lessons, listening to oral reading, storytelling or reading to class, doing reference research assignments
- Supervise large group work to enable guide to work with smaller groups or individuals
- Assist in field trips, daily explorations and recess supervision of children
- Assist in producing, collecting, inventorying and storing instructional materials
- Assist in maintaining school attendance records
- Procure, set up, operate and return instructional equipment
- Organize and supervise student work areas and daily preparation of the Montessori environment
- Maintain order in the classroom and establish a quiet learning environment; notify the classroom guide in such cases where behavior and/or other problems arise beyond the classroom assistant’s control.
- Assist in toileting of children as needed in accordance with health and safety standards and procedures
- Work with children individually and in small groups to reinforce basic skills and to check their use of Montessori materials
- Assist in the development and construction of Montessori materials to be used in reinforcement activities
- Share in the maintenance of the classroom
- Attend all in-service training/staff meetings offered by the district/school
- Minimum of Associates Degree
- AMI Montessori Assistant Training Diploma, required
- Experience in classroom management from a Montessori perspective
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) skills desirable
- Patience and understanding of children
Please visit us at www.hartfordschools.org/anniefishermontessori
Submit cover letter and resume via email or fax:
Attn: Vivian Novo-MacDonald, Principal of Annie Fisher Montessori Magnet School