This is an instructional role for a dedicated teaching professional whose main assignment will be teaching English to students in Standards 6-12.
What is Avasara Academy?
Avasara Academy is a nonprofit institution located in Lavale Valley, just outside Pune, India. We are an all girls school with a mission to empower girls of promise to lead lives of distinction and impact. Avasara Academy currently enrolls 350 students in standards 6-12 and will eventually have an enrollment of 500.
Students engage in our specialized curriculum that combines the academic excellence of the Cambridge curriculum with a focus on leadership, entrepreneurship, and Indian studies. Students participate in hands-on leadership and real-world experiences culminating in either an entrepreneurial business or social initiative that serves as a platform for their leadership development. Avasara will continue to nurture these leaders throughout their lives by connecting them to powerful networks of people and capital that can facilitate large-scale change. Avasara Academy, therefore, is not just a school but a life-long network that will cultivate innovative, entrepreneurial leaders.
Teaching English at Avasara
Students come to Avasara with a wide range of language skills, backgrounds, and abilities. Therefore, the English teacher should have a strong background in English as a Second Language instruction. English at Avasara focuses on the concepts and thinking skills we use as readers and writers, focusing on real-life applications of English. These include:
- Building a reading and writing identity
- Understanding text types and their purposes
- Writing in a variety of genres for authentic audiences
- Reading for comprehension
- Reading for interpretation and analysis.
- Building research skills
- Working in individual, partner and group settings towards an authentic reading or writing task.
- Using technology for research, communication, and publication
- Document curricula, lesson plans and assessments accurately and clearly.
- Contribute to setting departmental goals and enhancing coordination across the curriculum.
- Create and maintain a safe and positive learning environment for all students.
- Model excellent instruction.
- Maintain a focus on high student achievement.
- Monitor student progress to ensure students’ learning and understanding.
- Communicate with students, teachers and parents about students’ progress.
- Contribute to a healthy school culture that supports students' academic, co-curricular, cultural and socio/emotional needs.
- Co-plan and co-execute lessons with teachers in your team
- Promote a vibrant extracurricular environment.
- Serve as an Advisor in our effective advisory program.
- Ensure that disciplinary guidelines are fairly and consistently applied.
- Provide for transparent, constructive and ongoing evaluation of self and peers.
- Contribute to school-wide goals and objectives.
- Serve and lead committees as required.
- Engage with and value all staff members, students, families, visitors and supporters.
Profile of the Ideal Candidate
- You are fluent in English.
- You have prior classroom experience in teaching English, preferably in grades 6-12.
- You are a reader, both for pleasure and for growing your pedagogical skills.
- You enjoy working with children and are keen to facilitate their growth as readers and writers.
- You are responsive to the learning and classroom needs of students in your teaching.
- You have excellent interpersonal skills.
- You think creatively to identify solutions to problems.
- You are extremely driven and flexible with your working hours.
- You are a highly reflective practitioner.
- You embody the very type of leader the Academy aspires to create—you are an agent of positive change, and live up to our values of Integrity, Reflection, Empathy, Excellence, Interdependence, Fortitude, and Optimism.
- You believe wholeheartedly in the mission and vision of Avasara Academy.
- M.A./M.Ed. degree or equivalent preferred.
- English language fluency is required.
- Proficiency in Hindi and/or Marathi.
- Experience with teaching English as a Second Language. Understands, responds to, and helps others in best practice as related to second language acquisition.
- Experience using differentiated instructional practices; able to teach students of mixed abilities through differentiated and personalized approaches.
- Experience teaching in a student-centered classroom environment.
- Experience in the reading and writing workshop model for Standard 6-8.
- Experience with IB/IGCSE for Standards 9-12.
- Experience of participating in teams comprised of individuals from diverse ethnic, cultural, and national backgrounds.
- Experience with exceptional independent or international school programs.
- Clear track record of success in launching new initiatives, including long-term strategic planning and project management.
- Current understanding of best practices in girls’ residential high schools programs.
- Experience using data to drive instruction in reading and writing.
- Experience with standards-based instruction and grading.
Location: Pune, India
Start Date: May 2020
To Apply: Email email@example.com with a CV or resume and cover letter detailing your experience and interest in the position as soon as possible.