COVID-19   Due to the Coronavirus emergency, please check directly with individual organisations regarding current service availability.

Financial Advice and Support 


Attendance Allowance -  is a benefit that helps with the extra costs of long-term illness or disability, which can be either physical and/or mental. It is for people over their state pension age.

Citizens Advice – Free advice on a huge range of subjects including financial. Their comprehensive service is available from their website as well as face to face and by phone. Address: Unit 6, Highlight House, 8 St Leonards Rd, Eastbourne, BN21 3UH

Advice line: 03444 111 444. The drop-in and telephone advice sessions are open Mon, Wed, Thurs 10-4 pm, Tues, Fri 10-1 pm. Contact by phone to speak to an advisor. Drop-in for access to information only.

Department for Work and Pensions- advice on Income support, Employment and support allowance, Personal Independence payments, job seekers allowance  and much more visit

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) - if you are looking after a child with a health condition or disability who is under the age of 16 years then they may be entitled to Disability Living Allowance (DLA). This can help towards the extra costs of bringing up a disabled child.

East Sussex Credit Union - can help you to save money and offer cost-effective and flexible loans while operating an ethical, sustainable, successful savings and loans co-operative, and our Common Bond includes anyone living and working in East Sussex, Brighton & Hove and all members of Unite the Union in The South East Region. T: 0300 303 3188.  e: 

Eastbourne Foodbank – as well as offering three days supply of emergency food The foodbank has an advocacy and advice team which can help clients with benefits advice, challenge benefit decisions, act as intermediary with debt agencies, attend DWP medical appointments with clients, provide fuel poverty advice, help to write letters, fill out online forms and make phone calls. They also offer a large range of other advocacy and advice services. It is usually necessary to make an appointment with an Advocate who will assess your need and offer appropriate help and signposting.

T: 01323 409925 e:

Independence Payment (PIP) - if you have a long term illness or disability – physical and/or mental – and you are aged from 16 to below your state pension age, then you may be entitled to Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

Money Advice Plus- Money Advice Plus is a registered charity (Money Advice & Community Support Service) based in Brighton & Hove, helping and supporting people experiencing difficulty managing their money or financial affairs.

MAP can give peace of mind through advice and assistance - confidentially and impartially. They can provide debt advice, are authorized intermediaries for Debt Relief Orders, are specialists in welfare benefits law and can represent people in tribunals if needed. They can receive and handle income, bill payments and other matters to help people budget and manage their money. They can also offer organisations training and talks on budgeting, saving money on fuel bills, welfare benefits awareness, managing debt and much more. Alongside their face-to-face work with clients in Sussex, they also run a national telephone-based advice service, based in Eastbourne. Money works advice line: 0800 988 7037 (Mon, Tues & Thurs 10-4 pm, Wed 5-8 pm and Fri 10-2 pm.

Office phone for general info T: 01273 664000.

Money Advice Service - free and impartial money advice, set up by the government. Advice and guides to help improve your finances, tools and calculators to help keep track and plan ahead, support over the phone and online. 

National Debtline - give free, independent debt advice to people across the UK through their telephone and online advice services.

T: 0808 808 4000 Mon-Fri 9am-8pm, sat 9.30-1pm

Step Change - Free financial and debt advice online or via their helpline. As well as debt advice they also offer advice about equity release, mortgages, and bankruptcy, and separate phone numbers for these services are on their website.

Debt advice helpline: 0800 138 1111 mon-fri 8am-8pm, Sat 8am-4pm.

Turn2us – a national charity that helps people in financial hardship gain access to welfare benefits, charitable grants and support services.

Specialised Advice and Support

Age Concern Eastbourne – Free financial advice and independent financial services for older people are offered at the Venton centre including pension and tax advice. There is also a will writing service. T: 01323 638474 e:

The Venton Centre is based at Junction Rd, Eastbourne, BN21 3QY

Brighton Housing Trust (BHT) – offer a specialist service for people aged over 65. They can advise on any welfare benefits which people might be entitled to, including Attendance Allowance, Pension Credit, Housing Benefit etc. They can advise on eligibility for welfare benefits, assist with completing claim forms as well as appealing decisions. The service is part of the Welfare Benefits Project which is funded by the NHS and is available to anyone aged over 65 living in the Eastbourne, Hailsham & Seaford area.

Carers Trust - Make sure you claim any benefits and credits that you, and the person you care for, are entitled to. Some carers can claim Carer's Allowance but there are other benefits that you may be able to get. There are benefits just for carers, some for people with a disability, and some to help you if you have a low income.

CarersUK - Working out what benefits or tax credits you might be entitled to can feel like a battle. Having the right information and support can make a huge difference. W: 

Financial support for carers - caring for someone can lead to money worries, especially if your caring role means you have to give up work. There could be financial support available to help you. T: 0800 678 1602.  


Eastbourne Borough Council – various grants and assistance are offered by the council including Disabled Facilities Grants (DFGs) to assist disabled people to adapt their homes, Emergency Heating and Hot Water Grants for the over 60’s, Small Works Grants for people over 60 to help toward repairs around the home,  Home Improvement Loans, help with energy efficiency and also private housing assistance. For more information

Gingerbread - leading national charity working with single-parent families. We provide expert advice, practical support and campaign for single mums and dads. Knowing how much money you can expect to have coming in is a vital part of managing your family’s finances. These pages will keep you up-to-date with any changes made to benefits or tax credits.

Macmillan Welfare Benefits Advice Service - provides free and confidential welfare benefits advice for anyone in East Sussex living with cancer, including their families and carers. Many people find a cancer diagnosis can bring money worries, with costs they hadn’t considered. The Macmillan Benefits Advisers can offer specialist advice to help ease these concerns, with information on benefits and tax credits. They will work out what financial help you could be entitled to and assist you to claim any benefits or tax credits. This service is run by a partnership between BHT and Money Advice Plus Services and funded by Macmillan. T: 01323 635989.

Terminal illness - can cause financial hardship, and most people are entitled to one or more government benefits. But people don't always know how to claim these benefits, or whether they would be likely to qualify for them.

Mayor's Poor Fund- a registered charity to which organisations (only) can request one-off grants to help Eastbourne residents in need of financial assistance because of poverty, unemployment, illness or similar. Your organisation can make an application using the online form

Royal British Legion - provides free and confidential advice on issues concerning benefits, housing and employment support. Benefits, Debt and money in the South East the helpline is open 8 am-8 pm 7 days a week. T: 0808 802 8080.

SSAFA - the Armed Forces charity, supports veterans through financial assistance for a variety of needs. They can help with costs for mobility and many household goods. To see what assistance they can provide, contact SSAFA on T: 0800 731 4880


Sussex Downs College -  Students studying on full and part-time courses that lead to a government-funded qualification may be eligible for an award from the Bursary Fund towards the cost of travel, uniforms, educational visits, books and equipment. Funds are limited so students are advised to apply early.

                           Published and edited by Eastbourne Volunteers
Please consider a donation to our project which will help us to continue our work. You can donate via our website. Thank you!