Swim Session: Jun 01-30, 2020 Registration Dates
Monday-Tuesday (5 weeks)
Wednesday-Saturday (4 weeks)
May 18, 2020
Swim Lesson Vouchers: issued when the YWCA cancels a class; NO make-up classes will be offered.
YWCA Swim Lesson Descriptions
- Baby: Ages 6-23 months: Beginner: One adult must accompany the child in the pool. Swim diapers are required. Water adjustment and swimming skills learned through songs and games.
- Preschool Water Tots: Ages 2-3 years: One adult must accompany the child in the pool. Swim diapers are required. Kinderswim skills learned through songs and games.
- Kinderswim: Ages 4-5 yrs: teaches breath control, water comfort, back-floating, & swimming on front & elementary backstroke.
- Little Swimmers: Ages 4-5 years: Available ONLY through instructor recommendation:
- Beginner: Must be able to swim independently on the front and back. Intro to streamlining front and back, treading, front crawl, & elementary backstroke.
- Beginner +: Improve rhythmic breathing with front crawl, increase endurance with floating, front crawl, and intro to backstroke.
- Little Swimmers/Level 1-2 Combo: Ages 4-5/6-15 years: Available ONLY through instructor recommendation:
- This COMBO is taught following the Level 1-2 class description(s).
- Level 1/2: Ages 6-15 years:
- Beginner: Water adaptation, breath control, comfort floating, swimming on front and back. Intro to streamlining front and back, treading, front crawl, backstroke, and diving.
- Beginner +: Must be able to hold breath, swim independently on front & back; maintain a full length body glide with face in water, along with a 3 second back float. Increase endurance, work on rhythmic breathing, front crawl, backstroke, with intro to diving.
- Level 3/4: Ages 6-15 years: Intermediate: Must be able to swim independently full length of the pool on front and back. Refine Level 2 skills with the addition of rotary breathing, scissor kick. Further development of freestyle (front crawl) and backstroke, intro to breaststroke, butterfly, and diving.
- Level 5/6: Ages 6-15 years: Advanced: Pre-Team Level works all four (4) competitive strokes, turns & starts. Swimmer must be legal in all 4 strokes (Freestyle, Back, Breast, & Butterfly) before advancing to the Developmental Team.
- Developmental Team: Ages 6-15 years: Swim Team Level: Must have passed Level 5/6. Refinement of all four (4) competitive strokes (Freestyle, Back, Breast, & Butterfly). Enhancement of turns, starts, endurance, and team building with other swimmers.
- Adult Beginner: Ages 16+ years: No prior swim experience needed. Working in shallow-end water, focus on water adaptation, treading, floating, front crawl with breath control, & intro to backstroke.
- Adult Advanced: Ages 16+ years: Improves techniques for all four (4) strokes using the full length of the pool (strokes are Freestyle, Backstroke, Breaststroke, & Butterfly).
For more information check the YWCA Website, www.ywcaofasheville.org Or contact Kitty Schmidt, Aquatics Director  254-7206 ext 115/110