Tasks and Responsibilities
- Works on development and enhancement of front end to support new features as requested by team or end users.
- Works on adding and enhancing functionality of the platform including database changes to support functionality.
- Use React and Ruby on Rails to interface with backend.
- Use Rails code to interface with database and provide information to users.
- Work on developing a iOS/Android app from the ground up.
- Connect app to server and interface with api.
- Provide support on production issues as needed.
Supervision and Mentoring Plans
- The student will work closely with Project Coordinator, Janelle Hinds, on all tasks and responsibilities, who will supervise the student. The Technical lead will mentor the student. The student will report to the Project Coordinator. Most of the time, the student will be directly supervised by the Project Coordinator. If working on an aspect of the project that falls under a team member, the student’s work will be supervised by that team member who will report to the Project Coordinator.
- The Project Coordinator and Technical Lead will provide the student with the software tools that are used for the position. They will make sure that the tools are set up properly for the student to do their work.
- The student will have one week of training at commencement and weekly meetings to review progress, ask questions, and establish and track work plans.
- A final performance review will be conducted with the Project Coordinator during the last week of work.
The Technical Lead on the project will act as mentor to the student in order to:
- help the student acclimate to the job and culture;
- create a sense of engagement with the project;
- encourage creativity;
- develop skills and experience in areas of professional interest to the student.
Health and Safety Practices in the Workplace
- The student will be trained in the office emergency response plan (identifying exits, locating fire extinguishers, locating the first aid kit, etc.) by the program coordinator.
- The student will also receive training on how to operate office equipment properly.
- The student will be required to take the Ontario Ministry of Labour’s Health and Safety Awareness Training course. The student’s supervisor will advise the student of their rights under the Employment Standards Act.
- Student will not have to enter any high risk workplaces such as factories. Student will be educated in the organization's code of conduct, which will help them be aware of who to go to if issues should arise. The student will also be instructed by the supervisor regarding the workplace harassment policies and procedures.
- Additional materials on health and safety will be provided as required.
Desired Level of Education of the Student:
We aim to be inclusive of all fields that this job can be suitable for. This includes but not limited to: