Children’s Kiva Montessori School
Elementary/Middle School - Board of Directors Regular Meetings
10.26.18 at 3:30 pm– Children’s House Preschool: 1204 E Empire
BOD Approved on 11.26.18
- Call to Order - Special Meeting
- Kelli called the meeting to order at 3:36 pm.
- Roll Call: Kelli Jackson, President; Tamia Hurst, Secretary; Holley Christensen, Member; Melissa Gould, Member; Jordan Meyers, Member
Absent from BOD: Stacey Weyand, Vice President; Cayce Hamerschlag, Treasure
Staff: Alexia Hudson-McGrath, TIHOS; Urulu Yazzie, FD
Community Members: Carter Pape
- Vision – Children’s Kiva Montessori School will provide a vibrant and engaging learning environment based on the teachings of Dr. Maria Montessori that supports all students’ academic excellence and ability to become empowered, creative, lifelong learners responsible for themselves, their community, and their environment.
Mission - Children’s Kiva Montessori School uses authentic Montessori Methods, Community-Based educational approaches, and integrated academics (STEAM) to support student academic success, responsibility, and independence.
- Approval of Agenda: Tamia moved to approve the agenda as presented. Motion seconded. No discussion. All in favor of the motion. Motion carried.
- Reports / Business:
- President - Kelli
- Annual Compliance Assurances
- Statute and Regulation - Kelli
- Safety and Discipline - Stacey / Alexia / Kelli
- Alexia / Kelli - complete
- Stacey - tabled
- Educational Accountability - Alexia
- Curriculum, Instruction, and Extra-Curricular Activities
- Alexia noted that additional information could be provided to families regarding Extra-Curricular Activities
- School Policies - Board Development Committee
- Exceptional Students - Alexia
- Finance - Urulu / Finance Committee
- Future Agenda Item: Annual Compliance Assurances
- Safety and Discipline - Stacey
- Finance - Urula / Finance Committee
- When time allows, it would be helpful to create a binder that houses all these documents for easy referencing.
- IHOS - Alexia
- Update from staff meeting on 10.24.18
- Discussed how to fill out incident, discipline, and injury reports.
- Playground safety plans were discussed; specifically at a public playground.
- Discussed when an injury warrants a call to guardians and the appropriate steps prior to and making the call.
- Discussed needs in the school.
- They need the large copy machine ASAP.
- Cassy and RayLynne attended the Montessori math training by Lyndi.
- Discussion of schedule moving forward without support staff present. Alexia will create and implement a schedule and then reassess with staff at the end of the week.
- Potential room in the budget to provide some relief for staff.
- Finance Committee
- It is the Finance Committee’s recommendation that the ‘18-19 Budget Children's kiva (Working Final)’ be approved.
- If major amendments need to be made to the budget, we would need to provide an updated budget and explanation to the district. In January we approve a revised budget, if needed.
- Tamia moved to approve the ‘18-19 Budget Children's kiva (Working Final)’ as presented by the Finance Committee. Motion seconded. Discussion: Kelli is uncomfortable adding in any soft money. Kelli would like to see the $3k put back into the budget that was taken out for the projected rebate under Total Business Services, line 154. Tamia agreed. Jordan recommended putting a note in the budget regarding the rebate so if the rebate doesn’t come through, it is obvious where that $3k came from. Melissa is confident the rebate will come through and doesn’t see it as an issue on the budget. No further discussion. Kelly called for approval of the motion: Jordan, yes; Melissa, yes; Tamia, no; Holley, no. with a tie vote, Kelli, no. Motion did not pass.
- Kelli moved to approve the ‘18-19 Budget Children's kiva (Working Final)’ with the correction of adding back in the $3k taken out for the projected rebate under Total Business Services, line 154, bringing it back up to $16k. Motion seconded. Discussion: Urulu will bring the line item back up by $3k. No further discussion. All in favor of the motion. Motion carried.
- Urulu: Add $3k back into the budget, bringing line item 154 up to $16k.
- Status of audit
- The Auditor has all necessary information to finalize the audit, however, she is on vacation until October 31, 2018. Kelli will follow-up with her at that time.
- Hiring and Evaluation Committee
- Update from meeting on 10.23.18
- The board has not seen the HOS Job Description and would like to.
- Tamia: Future Agenda Item: Hiring and Evaluation Committee - present HOS Job Description to the board.
- Hiring and Evaluation Committee: provide the board with the HOS Job Description.
- Board Development Committee
- Potential new board member
- The potential new board member was not able to attend the meeting today. Once they are able to attend a board meeting, then we will set up an interview with them.
- New Business
- Alexia mentioned that James Park came to the school. Alexia is now the assessment coordinator for E/M S, which she hopes to share with another staff member. ESS trainings will be available to us now. We need to develop an appropriate area for testing.
- Melissa is working on a potential pickleball tournament fundraiser.
- Kelli: send both Morgan and Alexia a thank you to the PTO for the incredible fundraiser they put together.
- Alexia will include the thank you in the monthly all school newsletter that she is working on for E/M S.
- Tamia: Update the Board Meeting Minutes Binder.
- Next meeting: Tuesday, October 30, 2018 at 6:20 pm at Children’s House.
- Adjournment: Tamia moved to adjourn the meeting, unanimously approved. Motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 4:45 pm.
Prepared for publishing by Tamia Hurst, BOD Secretary