How to promote a business podcast..or anything else really
- The hardest part of this is promotion
- You can apply this information to everything else you do no matter the content
Upload to a host.
- You need this for something calls an RSS feed
- RSS is also used to distribute podcasts. An RSS document (called "feed", "web feed", or "channel") includes full or summarised text, and metadata, like publishing date and author's name. (Wikipedia)
2. Which host?
- Buzzprout - Easy to set up, gives you a funky playlist to embed, can download, stats and RSS - You have to pay $12 a month to start. Seems ok.
- Libsyn - Website sucks. 15 dollars a month.
- Soundcloud, free.
2b. Show art
- 3000x3000 or 1400x1400
- Brand your podcast - Business names or something else?
- Discuss the pros and cons
3. iTunes,Google Podcasts (Not yet in Uk but you can cheat it) Spotify stats
- These do not host, they are a directory.
- Where the party is at, 70% of podcasts downloads of coming from here.
- Erik Diehn says, “There’s basically Apple and then everybody else.”
- Podcast chart
5. The two-week mega push
- You have two weeks to get on the “new and noteworthy” section of iTunes.
- Switch out your email signature to promote along with the whole company
- Get pop-ups on your site
- Get everyone in your company to post about it
- Get your mates involved
5. Website vs straight to host
- You need a hub to capture e-mail, get them in with your brand, remarket to download.
- You can use Buzz Sumo as a landing page, or Soundcloud, but this wont encourages downloads.
- You can send straight to iTunes too
- You need to create a website for it or use your existing one and make a section.
- We’re making a section
- A goal should be downloaded, you could put teasers on here, but you want to drive
- Embed the iTunes playlist on your site, it is not the most glam thing
- Remarket on your landing page
- Set up subscribers
5. Guest audience
- If you’ve gone the guest route, and you should, then you need to make sure they share your podcast with their audience
- This is key!!!! It’s how you’re going to grow awareness
- Pre podcast, agree on the strategy with them, make it easy, provide them with the copy and the files if need be.
6. The usual social nonsense.
- If you have left your brand, you need to create new social accounts
- Discuss our plan
- Use your social channels to promote it
- Cut it up into audio snippets - Buzz Sprout lets you create video soundbites you can share
- Any clips, photos, behind the scenes, video etc. cut up nice and short and encourage downloads
- Aim no longer than 1 min for trailers
- The copy that goes with it needs to encourage them to want to watch the trailer not just download the episode.
- We used Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, E-mail list, Youtube, LinkedIn, subscribers
7. Get it transcribed
- Loads of keywords in there, if you can get people to listen on your page for 16 mins...its going to send the right signals to Google.
- Rev.com, our last one cost £19 I made the mistake of not making it an SRT file which you can pop in the video, not an issue if you're audio only, get it transcribed, it was 4000 words
- Take quotes from your guest, make them into images, share them,
8. Hit up your existing network - E-mail
- If you're not building an email list, start, if you have, they are going to be the ones who see it, care and hit play.
9. Suck up
- Mention other people in your post who featured in your content, take them in the podcast, email them to tell them, hopefully, they’ll share.
- 10. Ask for people to subscribe at the start
- 11. Promote iTunes downloads on Facebook - Are we going to do this?
- 12. Run a contest
- 13. Youtube it as a video - Rank it - Pop notes in the description
- 14. Publish your notes.
- 15. Quora
- Be consistent, it's a long one this, like everything
- Probably two a month with the aim of one a week
Ask for objections - write posts - can't do anything unsafe -
How to make your content more interesting, entertaining and not suck, how to get the confidence to produce content.
We’re also going to run a giveaway!! ohhhhh